Draft Expert PMBangers' (and ‘friends’) 2022 Draft Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Cadman is stronger at ground level than Jefferson and just has the highest work rate I've seen from a young tall, as well as a genuine thirst for the contest. Jefferson is the stronger mark of the two and probably has a more natural leading pattern game to him, and is more capable of taking pack marks. I think those two with Keeler will be the first 3 tall forwards taken, Lemmey may raise back into the conversation with a return to form though
What u get with Jefferson is that it shows he can rise to the higher standard. IMO it puts him as the #1 tall fwd in the draft. Clubs will look at him and know that he will be capable of replicating the WA performance in the big league. He was on AFL 360 and I was surprised to hear he’s taller than Nick Rewoildt. Loads of upside in Jefferson.

What u get with Jefferson is that it shows he can rise to the higher standard. IMO it puts him as the #1 tall fwd in the draft. Clubs will look at him and know that he will be capable of replicating the WA performance in the big league. He was on AFL 360 and I was surprised to hear he’s taller than Nick Rewoildt. Loads of upside in Jefferson.
Well that's mostly because Nick is a relative short ass for a key forward, only 193cm. About the same height as Tom Green.

Well that's mostly because Nick is a relative short ass for a key forward, only 193cm. About the same height as Tom Green.
C Curnow - 192
T Walker - 194
J Riewoldt - 193
J Gunston - 193
J Darling - 191
M Pavlich - 192
J Brown - 194
B Hall - 194
B Fevola - 191
J Roughead - 193
D Bradshaw - 190
D Neitz - 191
S Lucas - 192
Q Lynch - 192
N Riewoldt - 193
P Sumich - 190
J Dunstall - 188
G Ablett - 185
T Lockett - 191
D Brereton - 186
C Grant - 193
S Lowe - 194
W Carey - 192
B Brownless - 192

You would miss out on a lot of quality football players if you only want 195cm plus players.

C Curnow - 192
T Walker - 194
J Riewoldt - 193
J Gunston - 193
J Darling - 191
M Pavlich - 192
J Brown - 194
B Hall - 194
B Fevola - 191
J Roughead - 193
D Bradshaw - 190
D Neitz - 191
S Lucas - 192
Q Lynch - 192
N Riewoldt - 193
P Sumich - 190
J Dunstall - 188
G Ablett - 185
T Lockett - 191
D Brereton - 186
C Grant - 193
S Lowe - 194
W Carey - 192
B Brownless - 192

You would miss out on a lot of quality football players if you only want 195cm plus players.
For sure, I wouldn't write off any size or shape. I have many fond memories of Essendon's best CHF since Scotty Lucas... Alwyn Davey.

Things do seem to have changed a little in recent years though. Key position players seem to be expected to be taller than in the past, and taller kids are emerging from the junior ranks with more agility and ball skills than in the past.

C Curnow - 192
T Walker - 194
J Riewoldt - 193
J Gunston - 193
J Darling - 191
M Pavlich - 192
J Brown - 194
B Hall - 194
B Fevola - 191
J Roughead - 193
D Bradshaw - 190
D Neitz - 191
S Lucas - 192
Q Lynch - 192
N Riewoldt - 193
P Sumich - 190
J Dunstall - 188
G Ablett - 185
T Lockett - 191
D Brereton - 186
C Grant - 193
S Lowe - 194
W Carey - 192
B Brownless - 192

I didn’t say that key fwds have to be 195cm plus. I just referred to his height as I was surprised he was taller than Nick.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

C Curnow - 192
T Walker - 194
J Riewoldt - 193
J Gunston - 193
J Darling - 191
M Pavlich - 192
J Brown - 194
B Hall - 194
B Fevola - 191
J Roughead - 193
D Bradshaw - 190
D Neitz - 191
S Lucas - 192
Q Lynch - 192
N Riewoldt - 193
P Sumich - 190
J Dunstall - 188
G Ablett - 185
T Lockett - 191
D Brereton - 186
C Grant - 193
S Lowe - 194
W Carey - 192
B Brownless - 192

You pick the size for the era.

C Curnow - 192
T Walker - 194
J Riewoldt - 193
J Gunston - 193
J Darling - 191
M Pavlich - 192
J Brown - 194
B Hall - 194
B Fevola - 191
J Roughead - 193
D Bradshaw - 190
D Neitz - 191
S Lucas - 192
Q Lynch - 192
N Riewoldt - 193
P Sumich - 190
J Dunstall - 188
G Ablett - 185
T Lockett - 191
D Brereton - 186
C Grant - 193
S Lowe - 194
W Carey - 192
B Brownless - 192

Aside from the fact that you've mostly referenced guys from a different era when everyone was shorter, I love the fact you've added the big Q-Stick to this list!

I have to say Shifter only every releases top25 or top 10 forwards or top 10 mids or whatever. Never ranks them. He is supposed to be the guru but never puts his balls on the line
Hos role is more about knowing the kids and giving the general punter an insight into them rather than talking about where they'll fit in, that's more Twomeys space

His role is more about knowing the kids and giving the general punter an insight into them rather than talking about where they'll fit in, that's more Twomeys space

Twomey I find more listenable and accessible than Shifter.

C Curnow - 192
T Walker - 194
J Riewoldt - 193
J Gunston - 193
J Darling - 191
M Pavlich - 192
J Brown - 194
B Hall - 194
B Fevola - 191
J Roughead - 193
D Bradshaw - 190
D Neitz - 191
S Lucas - 192
Q Lynch - 192
N Riewoldt - 193
P Sumich - 190
J Dunstall - 188
G Ablett - 185
T Lockett - 191
D Brereton - 186
C Grant - 193
S Lowe - 194
W Carey - 192
B Brownless - 192

Each generation is taller than the last. How many people do you know that isn't taller than their dad? This is why we have Draper kicking the goal he did today and he is only 1cm shorter than Justin Madden who ran like a baby giraffe, but was in the AFL because he towered above everyone.

Each generation is taller than the last. How many people do you know that isn't taller than their dad? This is why we have Draper kicking the goal he did today and he is only 1cm shorter than Justin Madden who ran like a baby giraffe, but was in the AFL because he towered above everyone.
Generally speaking yes each generation is getting taller but the general emphasis behind my post is that you pick on tallent rather than just one factor such as height.

The first five on my list are from the current era to answer some peoples comments.

Looking at this years Coleman Medal you have:
PlayerHeightClubGoals
Charlie Curnow192Carlton53
Jeremy Cameron196Geelong49
Tom Hawkins198Geelong45
Aaron Naughton195Western Bulldogs42
Max King202St Kilda42
Peter Wright203Essendon42
Tom Lynch199Richmond39
Mitch Lewis199Hawthorn36
Harry McKay204Carlton36
Todd Marshall198Port Adelaide36
Taylor Walker194Adelaide36
Bayley Fritsch188Melbourne36
Mabior Chol200Gold Coast36
Lance Franklin199Sydney35
* I have excluded small forwards from the list.

Most of the players are 195cm+ so football is heading towards tall KPF.

Question: If your team needed to recruit a KPF would you rule out C Curnow just because he is sub 195cm?

My answer would be no but you have to look at the makeup of you whole squad.

PMBangers whats your view on Ollie hotton? Haven’t seen much of the champs but watched his game yesterday and thought he looked a real player. Is 181cm his height or has he grown? Does he have midfield prospects or more a high half forward? Reminded me a touch of jimmy bartel. Lastly, what’s his draft range?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I hear one more time that Nate Caddy is the nephew of Premiership Player Josh Caddy and the son of the Northern FL legend Saul Caddy…I’ll spew up 🤪
Nate could be the new Pendles played basketball story 🤣
btw Nate played a ripper game.

Why not mention that Nate's paternal great-grandfather, John Caddy, was a Fable Singer and a maternal great-grandfather, John Reeves, played for North Melbourne one time?

PMBangers whats your view on Ollie hotton? Haven’t seen much of the champs but watched his game yesterday and thought he looked a real player. Is 181cm his height or has he grown? Does he have midfield prospects or more a high half forward? Reminded me a touch of jimmy bartel. Lastly, what’s his draft range?
Yeah Hotton's been impressive in the Champs which is always a promising sign, players that don't just translate their NAB League/ APS form but improve when stepping up in quality are always going to catch the eye. He's a pretty classy operator, one touch at ground level and generally uses it well, but his athleticism was fully on show yesterday and is what impressed me the most.

I wouldn't be shocked if he had grown a little bit, but he's definitely still a small forwards' height. Has played a bit of midfield previously but I don't think he's a centre square player at the next level. As for draft range, he's probably pushed himself well into top 20 consideration over the last month, but he's still in the 25+ bracket for me personally

Yeah Hotton's been impressive in the Champs which is always a promising sign, players that don't just translate their NAB League/ APS form but improve when stepping up in quality are always going to catch the eye. He's a pretty classy operator, one touch at ground level and generally uses it well, but his athleticism was fully on show yesterday and is what impressed me the most.

I wouldn't be shocked if he had grown a little bit, but he's definitely still a small forwards' height. Has played a bit of midfield previously but I don't think he's a centre square player at the next level. As for draft range, he's probably pushed himself well into top 20 consideration over the last month, but he's still in the 25+ bracket for me personally
He has certainly taken his opportunity to run around in the midfield for VM especially when he wasn’t playing mid early in the nab league. He has impressed me. I certainly believe he can be a midfielder at next level. Obviously needs to learn a bit more midfield craft.

Been a while since I've actually done notes so here's my take on Metro v SA from the weekend:

#7 Olli Hotton (Sandringham Dragons)
The ‘breakout’ star from the game, Hotton truly put his name up in lights with an impressive display across all four quarters. Hotton played the first half mainly in the midfield and on the wings, with his hard running and one touch pick ups at speed seeing him play a key part in transition for his side. His cleanliness at ground level can not be overstated, in greasy conditions where others were more often opting to kick off the ground, Hotton’s confidence to bend down and get the fingernails dirty stood out. He was moved into a more permanent forward role in the second half to great effect, ending the day 3.2, but with a handful of assists to go along with it. At just 181cm, you’d forgive him for not being an aerial threat, however the cleanliness he displayed at ground level, mixed with his outstanding leap, made him one of the most dangerous marking targets on field, best highlighted by one particular mark, where he rose above a pack of players to hold it overhead.
#6 Jakob Ryan (Glenelg)

On a busy day for SA defenders, Ryan was one that stood out amongst the rest of the pack with his mostly clean use by foot, and willingness to generate drive with some run and carry when the opportunity presented itself. With less time and space than he may be used to in the U18s, Ryan had some poor moments by foot, but always followed up by applying some pressure or trying to apply a hard tackle. Regardless of some low moments disposal wise, Ryan used the ball smartly almost every time, looking for his best positioned teammates or to switch the ball across the defensive 50, it was rare that his intended target wasn’t the best option

What’s your view about Edmunds and the draft ?
He'd be a borderline pick as it stands, really hasn't performed as well as he should have this year outside of Sunday, lack of inside game is a real hindrance given he's not an elite runner like an Ed Langdon type of winger

PMBangers , saw an article recently saying Madden is now a top 20 pick. He's been good in the games I've seen, and Swans might have a nibble given our ruck stocks at the moment. Would your lot match do you think?
Ha ha ha ha ha!

No way.

Was it Knightmare?
I sentiment the thoughts above, if Madden I'd getting picked, and that's a big if, it's in the rookie draft or very late in the ND. Hasn't got much upside given his current frame and will take a good deal of fitness work to reach AFL level. If you're keen for a ruck with one of your firsts, Barnett I'd the best in the pool and has a lot of traits that would transfer as a KPD, or Keeler as a forward/ ruck option would fit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back