Discussion St Kilda and Their Special Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Can guarantee upper management are doing stuff too. They aren't stacked with staff at footy clubs even outside the soft cap. It takes eneregy directed at it that could be invested elsewhere. It looks from the outside like the management let the footy department run their own training and spend their time on less footy related stuff.
Of course Upper Management spend time doing things that aren't directly related to on field. That's their job.

And yes, we hired extremely experienced and knowledgable people for our football department so they can run training all pre season instead of having the CEO do it.

Of course Upper Management spend time doing things that aren't directly related to on field. That's their job.

And yes, we hired extremely experienced and knowledgable people for our football department so they can run training all pre season instead of having the CEO do it.

I want them bearing down on the footy department. They let Richo and Trout go without scrutiny and it worked out about as well as you'd expect. The footy has to be the absolute priority first. It feels like these things are a good way to show that they are doing something but it's like a painter going to wash and tidy the boss's car when a job was due to be finished tomorrow and you're only half way through it.

I want them bearing down on the footy department. They let Richo and Trout go without scrutiny and it worked out about as well as you'd expect. The footy has to be the absolute priority first. It feels like these things are a good way to show that they are doing something but it's like a painter going to wash and tidy the boss's car when a job was due to be finished tomorrow and you're only half way through it.
Then you want something that is unrealistic and doesn't happen anywhere.

Football is still the number 1 priority while time and attention also goes into strengthening the off field side of the club.

No. Anyone outside of the footy department should stay in their own lane.

Our club has had too much interference from above in the past, much of which has created a mess on field.

Management needs to focus on making $$$ (which is why we have developed these themed games as they make the club money) that can be funnelled into making us better on the ground and leave the footy side of things to the experts.

Then you want something that is unrealistic and doesn't happen anywhere.

Football is still the number 1 priority while time and attention also goes into strengthening the off field side of the club.

Have a look at Brian Cook, he's responsible for 5 premierships under his watch and he's just turned the unfixable Blues into a good club. He wasn't running off to do promotions of causes. He's a footy focussed CEO and was instrumental in having the whole club running in a singular direction. When you hear reports about how he runs his clubs you understand the importance of that role.

I'd get David Noble in as a director of footy role while he's down. He's a very experienced operator and could easily run the footy department in a way that the CEO could trust that he won't be mooching around trying to wait for smoko in the broom cupboard. Choco is head of development at the last two premiers, getting experienced quality operators is a fundamental basic of fixing broken clubs.

No. Anyone outside of the footy department should stay in their own lane.

Our club has had too much interference from above in the past, much of which has created a mess on field.

Management needs to focus on making $$$ (which is why we have developed these themed games as they make the club money) that can be funnelled into making us better on the ground and leave the footy side of things to the experts.

Get experts then. We have gone from too much to too little. If you can't do s**t yourself find people who are good at it and get them.

Have a look at Brian Cook, he's responsible for 5 premierships under his watch and he's just turned the unfixable Blues into a good club. He wasn't running off to do promotions of causes. He's a footy focussed CEO and was instrumental in having the whole club running in a singular direction. When you hear reports about how he runs his clubs you understand the importance of that role.

I'd get David Noble in as a director of footy role while he's down. He's a very experienced operator and could easily run the footy department in a way that the CEO could trust that he won't be mooching around trying to wait for smoko in the broom cupboard. Choco is head of development at the last two premiers, getting experienced quality operators is a fundamental basic of fixing broken clubs.
And the clubs Brian Cook have been involved in are very strong off the field as well. You can't ignore one for the other. Their job is to make both sides of the buinsess strong. I don't know what you find so scary about having a few themed games throughout the season but trying to find even 1% of blame for those games and causes on for the post bye drop in performance is just ridiculous.

And the clubs Brian Cook have been involved in are very strong off the field as well. You can't ignore one for the other. Their job is to make both sides of the buinsess strong. I don't know what you find so scary about having a few themed games throughout the season but trying to find even 1% of blame for those games and causes on for the post bye drop in performance is just ridiculous.

I’m not scared of anything, I want a footy first focus. It’s 12 years of mediocrity not post bye that concerns me. To me we are at a critical point. Stuff this rebuild up and we are going to start losing members and sponsors and that debt becomes a huge yoke around our necks. We need to stop looking at things that look good off field and just throw everything into the best footy side we can muster. More money flows from playing regular finals than 10000 people at a game that’s lost a lot of impact due to having so many special games. It’s getting to a point where non special rounds will be a minority.

Get experts then. We have gone from too much to too little. If you can't do s**t yourself find people who are good at it and get them.

That's always the challenge for a club like ours who's had the arse out of their pants.

Affording the best in the business has never been in our price range.

That's always the challenge for a club like ours who's had the arse out of their pants.

Affording the best in the business has never been in our price range.

And by not affording them you cement your position. I can guarantee Seek doesn't use that hiring policy.

I’m not scared of anything, I want a footy first focus. It’s 12 years of mediocrity not post bye that concerns me. To me we are at a critical point. Stuff this rebuild up and we are going to start losing members and sponsors and that debt becomes a huge yoke around our necks. We need to stop looking at things that look good off field and just throw everything into the best footy side we can muster. More money flows from playing regular finals than 10000 people at a game that’s lost a lot of impact due to having so many special games. It’s getting to a point where non special rounds will be a minority.
For the 1000th time, wearing a rainbow on our jumper once a year or having the pregame of another focused on raising money for the Riewoldt's charity doesn't stop anyone at the club from focusing on winning games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the 1000th time, wearing a rainbow on our jumper once a year or having the pregame of another focused on raising money for the Riewoldt's charity doesn't stop anyone at the club from focusing on winning games.

So maybe we need to do both then because right now it looks like they are in no rush to improve on field but love promoting their goodness. Most Saints fans I know have had enough. Some genuinely sound serious this time. The current lot seem to struggle to run a footy club.

So maybe we need to do both then because right now it looks like they are in no rush to improve on field but love promoting their goodness. Most Saints fans I know have had enough. Some genuinely sound serious this time. The current lot seem to struggle to run a footy club.
If you want to believe no one at the club is trying to improve our on field performance, that's fine. But we all know that couldn't be further from the truth.

I suspect that yes, a number of saints supporters have had enough, feel divided and have quietly lost their passion and sense of belonging. And relinquished their memberships.
I have witnessed this, albeit to a small degree. Other factors may also relate to this of course.
Anyway, this seems to be ironic with the focus on inclusion.

Some saints supporters
dislike being spoken to about a particular social or other cause, at least at the footy.
They just want to let off steam with the saints once per week for 2 or 3 hours, and preferably see their side win!

Whether or not they view player performance as being compromised in the context of themed rounds etc. I would not know!

Last edited:
We are a social club with a football team. We were in the 80s with the saints disco the main focus after games at Moorabbin and now we still are now with a plethora of social conscious issues the focus. People won’t agree and will attack me for this but we aren’t winning a flag when we keep going on with this stuff as winning the flag is simply not as important as it should be and people wonder why the players don’t seem to care about winning by dishing up the crap they are now well the example is set by those at the top.

If you want to believe no one at the club is trying to improve our on field performance, that's fine. But we all know that couldn't be further from the truth.
Pay no attention to it, a player could turn up to the club wearing odd socks and the group of serial whingers would find a way to turn that into how the club is unprofessional and going nowhere. They complain about the happy clappers accepting mediocrity but as long as they are paying a membership every year they support the club in the same way everyone else does. Now it's apparently the football departments responsibility to organise marketing campaigns lol.

We are a social club with a football team. We were in the 80s with the saints disco the main focus after games at Moorabbin and now we still are now with a plethora of social conscious issues the focus. People won’t agree and will attack me for this but we aren’t winning a flag when we keep going on with this stuff as winning the flag is simply not as important as it should be and people wonder why the players don’t seem to care about winning by dishing up the crap they are now well the example is set by those at the top.
Spot on

Lol. You’ve made the bit up in your head that winning a flag is less important.

Pay no attention to it, a player could turn up to the club wearing odd socks and the group of serial whingers would find a way to turn that into how the club is unprofessional and going nowhere. They complain about the happy clappers accepting mediocrity but as long as they are paying a membership every year they support the club in the same way everyone else does. Now it's apparently the football departments responsibility to organise marketing campaigns lol.

Or you could just look at the evidence in front of you. Like not looking at the head recruiter until Lethlean came along, despite no evidence of improvement the whole time. Same with the head coaching role. They celebrate their greatest achievement as painting the room after the last lost took a s**t in it. Even though it's put us in crippling debt which apparently stops us spending on the footy department.

We are at least spending some money on the footy department now instead of actively ignoring it but we keep hearing how we can't have anything good because it costs too much but then they find money for other stuff. I'd cut the staff down to a skeleton staff but all focussed on footy. Pay extra on the tax if need be. It's like you've got a grimy old cafe that no-one goes to and it really needs renovating but you start saving 50c a week to give it a paint job in 30 years. You'll be lucky to have cafe still, but you aren't spending much.

How long is too long to wait for them to get their s**t together? If they aren't up to it they should move on and give someone else a go.

Again, if we can’t cope with extra media in some charity / awareness games we won’t cope with GF week.
Don’t think we need to worry about that for a while
Club is just trying not to be to sh1t and in survival mode

Remove this Banner Ad

Back