Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the whole point is that the 7 is being thrown in to get rid of his salary. It shouldn’t cost the team anything close to a 1st rounder to get the deal done.
I suspect I'm closer to the mark.

Pick 10 for a good player (salary) and pick 7 is an excellent deal massively in favour of us.

Now, whether is suits our salary structure is another story but these fairytale pick 345 for good player and pick 7 are absurd.

Guess we'll see who's right.

A smart leadership group would look at this opportunity to get a top 10 draft pick and a former top 10 pick who could come right as a good thing for our flag chances moving forward.

How bad could his remaining contact be and how often do these opportunities come up.

On the draft board they are talking $700-$800k a year, so $1.4m-$1.6m over 2 years...
After that you could probably re-sign him for $350k - $400k a year...

Best part of the deal is pick 7, Bowes is just a sweetener...

A Clark/Phillipou/Humphrey/Busslinger or a slider
& Bowes for a future first or second rounder and around $800k a year for 2 years in cap space... I'd do that deal every day of the week...

Charlie, Harry, Cripps and Walsh if they have in fact taken unders (unconfirmed) can hardly sneeze at what their getting paid...

If it improves their chance of a premiership, how could they complain and
it's only for 2x years after that Bowes would be on bugger all and if he didn't like it we trade him for another pick...

This, our list is great and we don't need to take risks, or we could upset players already getting paid $800k+ is wrong...
All the top teams take calculated risks with their lists about time we do as well...

Its 2x years of salary cap pain for possibly 10+ years of gain... Calculated risk worth taking in my books...

On the draft board they are talking $700-$800k a year, so $1.4m-$1.6m over 2 years...
After that you could probably re-sign him for $350k - $400k a year...

Best part of the deal is pick 7, Bowes is just a sweetener...

A Clark/Phillipou/Humphrey/Busslinger or a slider
& Bowes for a future first or second rounder and around $800k a year for 2 years in cap space... I'd do that deal every day of the week...

Charlie, Harry, Cripps and Walsh if they have in fact taken unders (unconfirmed) can hardly sneeze at what their getting paid...

If it improves their chance of a premiership, how could they complain and
it's only for 2x years after that Bowes would be on bugger all and we trade him for another pick...

This, our list is great and we don't need to take risks, or we could upset players already getting paid $800k+ is wrong...
All the top teams take calculated risks with their lists about time we do as well...

Its 2x years of salary cap pain for possibly 10+ years of gain... Calculated risk worth taking in my books...
You are assuming that we gave that kind of space already available in our cap.

I would very much doubt that we have. Probably enough for Acres and 2 or 3 draftees. Maybe if we were to trade out Setterfield and Dow?

Pretty sure that there will be plenty of suitors with more cap space than us. Sounds like * might be a better chance. Would also think that the suns would get plenty of offers, might end up being a future pick raffle.

2 years of pain and get Pick 7 and Bowes.

Yes, we would have to spread it. Try to tack a year on. We might still have to take the 800k hit for 2 years but how much would we improve?

We have to think on our feet here and be bold.
Why is that being bold?

We are going for flags not holding other teams cap. Forty said it perfectly. We are maximising our salary to have the best list possible.

Everyone that has signed has signed low, changing the culture atm, what your suggesting wouldn't fly in our position and they aren't pursuing that angle.

Last edited:
2 years of pain and get Pick 7 and Bowes.

Yes, we would have to spread it. Try to tack a year on. We might still have to take the 800k hit for 2 years but how much would we improve?

We have to think on our feet here and be bold.
From what I read the other day, clubs are allowed to renegotiate the contract with the player once he comes across.

Yes, think we could easily make up the money by moving on fringe players,
don't need decent picks in a trade just the salary cap $$$...

Trade - Dow or Plowman
Delist - Setterfield, Fogarty & Curnow
You have to have a required number of players on the list they are/will be on peanuts anyways.

Yes, think we could easily make up the money by moving on fringe players,
don't need decent picks in a trade just the salary cap $$$...

Trade - Dow or Plowman
Delist - Setterfield, Fogarty & Curnow
The sun's will be looking for the best available pick as well. They'd probably be looking for our 2013 first as well.

The sun's will be looking for the best available pick as well. They'd probably be looking for our 2013 first as well.
If they want our 2013 first... I don't think that they have the picks required or enough "good" players to make a play for that pick now!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are assuming that we gave that kind of space already available in our cap.

I would very much doubt that we have. Probably enough for Acres and 2 or 3 draftees. Maybe if we were to trade out Setterfield and Dow?

Pretty sure that there will be plenty of suitors with more cap space than us. Sounds like * might be a better chance. Would also think that the suns would get plenty of offers, might end up being a future pick raffle.
Acres is coming cheap and his money is pretty much covered by the Liam Stocker delisting anyway.

I'm not sure Bowes would be wanting to move to a club who intend to halve his salary as soon as the contract ends.

Now, if he's prepared to take a bit of a cut in exchange for an extra year's security and a berth with a club contending for finals, then I'd be happy to discuss it. Assume he's on $750k a year for the next two years (reports vary from 700 to 800k). $1.4 - 1.6mil. Tack on a third year, make it $1.8mil total ($600k a year), that's not unreasonable if he's best 22. If he warrants it he could maintain that price on the next contract.

Question then has to be - is he best 22 and who is he squeezing out? Where does he play? I reckon he'd be a handy point of difference in the midfield, but I don't see how he displaces anyone. Solid option off half back for sure, but between Saad, Doc, Newman, Williams and Boyd we're mostly covered there. Nothing to indicate he could play predominantly forward and be worth $600k a year.

Long story short - I think we could make the money work without upsetting anyone (important) at the club, but I don't think he offers enough in a position of need to make it worth the investment.

Pick 7 is a nice bonus too, but that's another young up-and-comer wanting $450k or more after their draft contract ends.

Why is that being bold?

We are going for flags not holding other teams cap. Forty said it perfectly. We are maximising our salary to have the best list possible.

Everyone that has signed has signed low, changing the culture atm, what your suggesting wouldn't fly in our position and they aren't pursuing that angle.

Are you ignoring Pick 7 in this? A very good player for free and a previously good player for cap space.

You want to build a strong list, then early draft picks are the ticket.

People, come on! A lot of you are missing the point.

Bowes, a Queensland boy, who is coming into the last 2 years of his contact. He is not moving clubs so that he can take a pay cut. He's moving clubs because the club he is currently at, has back ended his current contract, and want to move it off their books.

Yes Pick 7 is a great pick, it wouldn't be Bowes and pick 7 for nothing, it would be Bowes (2 years at 800k) + pick 7 for a future second (a draft we don't want to lose picks in).

It will be a good deal for a side that can carry that wage cost, but we are not that side.
We aren't talking about small figures here, we are talking about an amount that could cost us 3 x 21-24 year old players.

In other news, we are not interested in Graham, good player, but we have filled that position and the trade capital required is to much.

People, come on! A lot of you are missing the point.

Bowes, a Queensland boy, who is coming into the last 2 years of his contact. He is not moving clubs so that he can take a pay cut. He's moving clubs because the club he is currently at, has back ended his current contract, and want to move it off their books.

Yes Pick 7 is a great pick, it wouldn't be Bowes and pick 7 for nothing, it would be Bowes (2 years at 800k) + pick 7 for a future second (a draft we don't want to lose picks in).

It will be a good deal for a side that can carry that wage cost, but we are not that side.
We aren't talking about small figures here, we are talking about an amount that could cost us 3 x 21-24 year old players.

In other news, we are not interested in Graham, good player, but we have filled that position and the trade capital required is to much.
Sanity prevails at last, on both counts.
Get some run and carry types, if possible and go the draft. That should be our focus.

And to add to the Bowes thing one last time.

I'd suggest that if the sun's were to include pick 7, it would be for a first round upgrade on 7.

Like a Bowes + 7 + later pick for pick 3-5.

Otherwise it would Bowes + 25 for nothing pick as an absolute salary dump.

They aren't giving away 7 for nothing.

Just don't see how it would cost us any required 21-24 year old players...

OOC Dow ($200k), Setterfield ($450k), Fogarty ($200k) & Curnow ($450k) would more than cover $800k...

By all reports Bowes has instigated the trade and the $800k is back ended, so possible currently contracted for $400k-$500k...
Want's to play seniors so may take his market value after the 2 years to do so...

Still think it would be a great trade, for us to explore...
My first chuckle is these contract numbers have to be a guess as salaries aren’t public.

My second chuckle is that the trade period invites all sorts of supposition about options, mega trades and winning each trade. How has that worked for Dodo?

Just don't see how it would cost us any required 21-24 year old players...

OOC Dow ($200k), Setterfield ($450k), Fogarty ($200k) & Curnow ($450k) would more than cover $800k...

By all reports Bowes has instigated the trade and the $800k is back ended, so possible currently contracted for $400k-$500k...
Want's to play seniors so may take his market value after the 2 years to do so...

Still think it would be a great trade, for us to explore...
As you say its back ended.

Who ever takes him on is taking on the back end of his contract. The cheap part is already paid...
Yes he might take his market value after this contract is complete, but why would he walk away from a guaranteed $1.4-$1.6 million?

To the first part of your statement.

Acres + Cunners + Young = $825 next season. Hope that clears it up a bit.

I'd suggest that if the sun's were to include pick 7, it would be for a first round upgrade on 7.

Yep.. anyone who thinks a club is getting Pick 7 as a 'freebie' is delusional..

If that was the case you'd run away then...
No club in their right mind would do that deal... Bowes ($800k) and Pick 7 for a top 5 pick...

If it was Bowes ($800k) and Pick 7 as a salary dump, for our future 2nd pick, I'd be all in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back