Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Abortion rights are a complicated issue but I know as a man I will never be required to carry a child as a result of rape or incest and I shouldn’t be the one to control someone’s choices in that or any other scenario. I don’t imagine any decision in that situation would be taken lightly but forcing someone into a life sentence where they are constantly reminded of their trauma and have the dichotomy of what they should feel of love for their child against why that child exists. * taking any control away from someone who’s in that awful situation.
i agree 100%
That would be horrible.
I'm not sure on the data though. How many abortions would be with that circumstance?

HR boss should get the chop.
‘I employ 20 people per year at the very least.
I google search every prospective candidate
my younger staff check Insta, Snapchat and facebook
it ain’t hard and we have found some red flags in doing our due diligence
why can’t a 60 million dollar per year business get it right
we are a joke
💯 I stalk (on-line) the absolute s**t out of anyone I hire. It can tell you a lot about who you are REALLY hiring, as opposed to who you THINK you are hiring.

💯 I stalk (on-line) the absolute s**t out of anyone I hire. It can tell you a lot about who you are REALLY hiring, as opposed to who you THINK you are hiring.
Absolutely it is incompetence

Being on the board of a church that explicitly espouses those views is a bit different to broadly identifying as 'christian'. For example I know a couple of people who are most definitely Christians but refuse to attend church because of the way the church hierarchy treats women.

There are also lots of gay people who identify as Christian. It's a particular branch of Christianity that has set up the dichotomy between Christian and LGBTQ.

we are a joke
Why couldn’t they just watch his 4 hour creaming he got at the royal commission. Disgraceful decision to even let him be involved in the external review!

So you're saying it didn't effect him? Ironically, it would appear that he is now the most effected.
Also, I reckon if someone is pro life they are more concerned about the life of the child than trying to interfere with peoples lives.
It's like seeing domestic abuse happen in real time but doing nothing to help because it doesn't concern you.

Anyway, this is getting way off the football topic that i'm sure this forum wants.
If the rights of the child were truly the main motivator, the same people who push pro-life agendas so rabidly would also give two hoots about supporting the often socio-economically disadvantaged women who are forced to have those children, because they were unable to get an abortion, once the children are born.

Here’s the thing though. They almost never do. No, those same people more often than not then suddenly support cruel neo-liberal individual responsibility ideology that dooms those women, and their children, to entrenched disadvantage.

So no, “rights of the child” is a convenient smoke screen. It’s purely an instrument of punitive control. There’s a reason the majority of the loudest pro-life voices are men.

Thorburn was allegedly removed from the external review once it became apparent Barham wanted him as CEO.

The end goal should be for a united board and one that doesn't run to the media as you said. If Barham removes Sheedy then that is another tick in his favour.
The rate things are going, Sheedy is going to have to remove Barham.

Keith thomas
Travis auld
Charlie gardiner

Should be who we are looking at

There is zero chance neither Thorburn nor Essendon knew about the stance of the church. Within minutes of it being announced online, just random Joes on twitter were talking about it. If neither Thorburn nor Essendon knew then that would be an astounding level of ignorance, even for us. So I assume they absolutely knew but just hoped no one would care - not good.

Just zero process from Barham / the club.

I assume Thorburn is his mate, or a mate of somebody else.

Nobody did any basic checks cos they were just employing a mate.

we are a joke

You are right, I do the same, but in fairness the particular sermon that is being referred to was buried deep in the archives from nearly 10 years ago. Not ideal but at least we knocked it on the head after finding out the truth…

Just to add, not sure how we bypassed the Royal commission findings though. I guess there were red flags everyone so no excuses really…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the second time I have seen somebody in the media describe Essendon this way in the past few weeks.

Was it the same writer last time? Or somebody else?

Either way, I wonder how Bombers fans feel about such an assessment of their club and its people.
Dancing in the aisles like wild angels, m8.

Seriously, I think if we're being brutally honest with ourselves, we have to acknowledge there's a lot of truth to the description. What other explanation can you really arrive at when you consider how stubbornly Essendon (or at least, many of its leading figures - which ultimately amounts to an academic difference at best) has refused to really, unequivocally accept that they're still stuck in many ways, attitude-wise, in the VFL/AFL of a generation ago.

We venerate our statues more than most, and no one is more reluctant to piss on those same statues no matter how badly they need to be drowned, figuratively speaking, with extreme prejudice.

I mean, there was a small sub-sect of fans openly talking about how devastated and shattered they were when it was announced Hird would not be coach. Yes, shattered. It's like these people have put themselves in a fan deep-freeze for the past seven years and everything in between was just filler until the moment the favourite son returned. Mind boggling stuff.

We're not the Carlton of the John Elliot-era, which aggressively thumbed its nose at everyone and everything. Not anymore. No, we make the right noises superficially, but that translating into actual practice is the barest form of lip service imaginable.

Last edited:
You are right, I do the same, but in fairness the particular sermon that is being referred to was buried deep in the archives from nearly 10 years ago. Not ideal but at least we knocked it on the head after finding out the truth…

Just to add, not sure how we bypassed the Royal commission findings though. I guess there were red flags everyone so no excuses really…
Yet many on here didn’t seem to care because he was a big fancy ceo of a major bank. It was a disgraceful appointment from the start, hating the turmoil but so happy he’s only lasted 24 hours.

Dancing in the aisles like wild angels, m8.

Seriously, I think if we're being brutally honest with ourselves, we have to acknowledge there's a lot of truth to the description. What other explanation can you really arrive at when you consider how stubbornly Essendon (or at least, many of its leading figures - which ultimately amounts to an academic difference at best) has refused to really, unequivocally accept that they're still stuck in many ways, attitude-wise, in the VFL/AFL of a generation ago.

We venerate our statues more than most, and no one is more reluctant to piss on those same statues no matter how badly they need to be drowned, figuratively speaking, with extreme prejudice.

I mean, there was a small sub-sect of fans openly talking about how devastated and shattered they were when it was announced Hird would not be coach. Yes, shattered. It's like these people have put themselves in a fan deep-freeze for the past seven years and everything in between was just filler until the moment the favourite son returned. Mind boggling stuff.

We're not the Carlton of the John Elliot-era, which aggressively thumbed its nose at everyone and everything. Not anymore. No, we make the right noises superficially, but that translating into actual practice is the barest form of lip service imaginable.

Thank you for the frank and thoughtful reply.

Fwiw, I was one of the very few non-Bomber fans hoping that Hird would return as coach and win the flag.

Yes, you read that right.

It would have rustled so many jimmies, the meltdowns across the AFL world would have been epic.

I was all for it.

In saying that, I can see what you mean about the EFC leadership being stuck in the past.

Sacking a new CEO within a day is next level shenanigans.

Twenty odd years ago, NMFC and EFC were fielding the best teams in the competition.

Our clubs had senior coaches, and captains, acknowledged as generational talents.

Both clubs had passionate and proud fanbases, and for good reasons.

Wtf happened to us? Seriously

:stern look

When you have a preferred candidate for any role there is the very real danger of not doing enough due diligence on that candidate. They would have known he had another role at a church, but because they didn't want to find a problem, they didn't. They wanted a CEO named before the BnF, so they did.

I'll give them this; it turned nasty and was always going to end this way, they had the guts to rip the band aid off right away.

Don't make the same mistake again.

Thank you for the frank and thoughtful reply.

Fwiw, I was one of the very few non-Bomber fans hoping that Hird would return as coach and win the flag.

Yes, you read that right.

It would have rustled so many jimmies, the meltdowns across the AFL world would have been epic.

I was all for it.

In saying that, I can see what you mean about the EFC leadership being stuck in the past.

Sacking a new CEO within a day is next level shenanigans.

Twenty odd years ago, NMFC and EFC were fielding the best teams in the competition.

Our clubs had senior coaches, and captains, acknowledged as generational talents.

Both clubs had passionate and proud fanbases, and for good reasons.

Wtf happened to us? Seriously

:stern look
2001 comeback game knocked the stuffing out of both clubs, I reckon. :cool:

Mostly a joke, but that was the absolute apex for us at least!

The chain on the gate is definitely loose….not sure the horse has quite exited yet though.

I think an appropriate statement and/or resignation from his post could still put it to bed.
Ordinarily I still would have had time to respond to this, but oh well.

What I would have said was that the media had already run with it and we live in a time where advocating for inclusivity is characteristic of big business. This issue wouldn't have just gone away. The club would have continually been cast in a negative light by the media as a result. I don't reckon there would have been any reining it in.

Ordinarily I still would have had time to respond to this, but oh well.

What I would have said was that the media had already run with it and we live in a time where advocating for inclusivity is characteristic of big business. This issue wouldn't have just gone away. The club would have continually been cast in a negative light by the media as a result. I don't reckon there would have been any reining it in.
I think it could have been salvaged….but in the end Thorburn chose his church over EFC so it’s a moot point now.

We essentially agree - once the media had it it was always going to be hard, maybe impossible, to turn around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back