Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

I feel this is a dramatic take given there's no indication whatsoever EFC is a less welcoming club to any group today than it was yesterday, or that due to Thornburn's appointment, it'll be less welcoming tomorrow than it is today.

This looks a lot like someone in a relatively high profile position trying to force their views unto EFC such that someone isn't welcome, or, exactly the thing he's accusing Thorburn of representing.

It is worth listening to his interview this morning, he noted that the comments held as church views were posted in 2013 or earlier, and he has never heard anyone espousing those views in his time.

I am pro-choice, open to sex of any kind, and an atheist. But I agree with Andrew, people should be judged by their actions, particularly the way they treat people, not their belief ‘system’ - we are all different
He and the club need to start prosecuting this case very quickly and very publicly before this issue gets away from them.

Unbelievable that a whole review that is supposed to demonstrate diligence and stability serves up controversy day 1.

He clearly wasn’t vetted properly. In 2022 it’s such a big miss to not think what he supports wouldn’t affect his position in an inclusive community leading position.
I’m sure his credentials are great but wow… what a cluster *
This was my thinking too. We enact a process to find a coach. Did we do the same to find a CEO or is someone simply mates with him. Once again, we're a joke.

He's been brought in to have a core focus on members. Lol. A good lot of those members won't renew their memberships until he's gone.

More disturbing to me (as a gay dude) is his forced resignation from NAB and the fact that he was on the panel to select the coach, it reeks of the old boys club mentality that clearly this club is still steeped in.
He was in charge of a company that has 40000 employees.
He can't individually track each and every single person to ensure they are doing the right thing.

He did the right thing in resigning as he took the ultimate responsibility. That's part of the job description of a CEO. But to suggest that he personally was pulling the puppet strings of each NAB employee who did the wrong thing is just incorrect.

He can't individually track each and every single person to ensure they are doing the right thing.

He did the right thing in resigning as he took the ultimate responsibility. That's part of the job description of a CEO. But to suggest that he personally was pulling the puppet strings of each NAB employee who did the wrong thing is just incorrect.

I didn't suggest that at all.

Thorburn was basically pushed. He didn't want to go but he got the word that if he didn't make a dignified exit they were going to turf him.

This entire thing is based on a paranoia that his personal views will be used as a coercion to stop others from living their lives.

It is the same paranoia that some people use when they say that a gay teacher means future gay students.

Just because he doesn't think he would be judged right by his maker if he was gay, and expressed those tenants to followers of the 2,000 year old religion in a church that was made for it doesn't mean anyone else isn't able to follow their path as they wish.

We say don't judge people for what they do in their bedroom, yet we are judging a man for what he does in his own head.

We advocate for inclusivity by sowing division.

This "pre-crime" Minority Report culture is reaching new levels of ridiculousness.

I feel this is a dramatic take given there's no indication whatsoever EFC is a less welcoming club to any group today than it was yesterday, or that due to Thornburn's appointment, it'll be less welcoming tomorrow than it is today.

This looks a lot like someone in a relatively high profile position trying to force their views unto EFC such that someone isn't welcome, or, exactly the thing he's accusing Thorburn of representing.

Given Thorburn’s advocacy and support of the LGBT community at NAB, I’d argue the Deputy Mayor’s take is actually counter productive. He’s withdrawing his membership and therefore support for someone who, in the professional environment, will likely implement a more inclusive environment.

Last edited:
I guess we just couldn’t have Hawthorn dominating the negative news for such an unbroken stretch and had to get ourselves back into the lead again in true Essendon / negative media style

This "negativity" is the media's doing, and the doing of those in need of attention, not ours.

They however, may come to their senses once they realise who started religion (wasn't Andrew), how long it has existed for, and how many Christians and Muslims exist.

Hawthorn's negativity was generated in-house, of their own doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pastor is a hypocrite = truth.

Would I appoint such a hypocrite to CEO of the EFC? No.

A football club has morals reflective of its membership, unlike churches which have no morals (or whichever morals they're choosing at that point in time).

If the church-goers don't mind their pastor being a hypocrite, that's fine by me. But as an EFC member, I have a problem with the CEO being a hypocrite or a bigot.
This says more about you than anything else. Small minded .
You have no idea about my old man . You have the same small minded attitude that says it is wrong to be gay .

Some of us actually know that in the real world there is no 100% right opinion on this . Why is it people of faith can not have their views but accept others will live their life how they want

Last edited:

His appointment is an indication that EFC is a less welcoming club, because the head of the football club is the head of a church which is homophobic.

If he can't see the optics of this being bad, he might as well resign now, along with whoever appointed him and hasn't pointed this out, because it's clear as day.

He's got about a day left to discontinue that role and/or disavow those beliefs, or it's curtains. The media has blood in the water now.

I certainly hope that people are now cancelling their memberships and withdrawing support from every political party, business and other organisation that employs people that hold positions within a religion that is anti minority.

Because you know, we don't judge people on their own personal beliefs, no we don't have time for that. Read the label on the box and form our opinions there and then.

People falling for media whipping up a shit storm about a person's life knowing full well those same media organisations are run by exactly the same type of person as this bloke.

What an absolute joke.

This entire thing is based on a paranoia that his personal views will be used as a coercion to stop others from living their lives.

It is the same paranoia that some people use when they say that a gay teacher means future gay students.

Just because he doesn't think he would be judged right by his maker if he was gay, and expressed those tenants to followers of the 2,000 year old religion in a church that was made for it doesn't mean anyone else isn't able to follow their path as they wish.

We say don't judge people for what they do in their bedroom, yet we are judging a man for what he does in his own head.

This "pre-crime" Minority Report culture is reaching new levels of ridiculousness.
I dont think that's true.

right or wrong, it's optics. It's how you square away his chairing of one organisation that sit in conflict with the values of another organisation he runs
Could argue he was able to do that whilst running a far larger enterprise in his previous gig without issue, but AFL optics bring with them more weight.

its self-fulfilling, but the fact this is the news supports it as a poor decision optically.
And we aren't so flush with the good management stuff that we can afford this blip
If it was a better run club, perhaps less noise. But then begs the question, does a better run club make this move?

Asked it earlier - what do we know of other club CEO's board positions, etc. Not much
But Essendon brings with it a special kind of spotlight these days.

The chain on the gate is definitely loose….not sure the horse has quite exited yet though.

I think an appropriate statement and/or resignation from his post could still put it to bed.
The horse will remain at Melbourne if their list manager is to be believed.

I like your point about paranoia. Just wanna say though that leading an organized religion isn’t one person’s private bedroom pursuit. That church is a public organisation with a mission to influence according to their beliefs. We aren’t talking about him putting personal beliefs aside to run EFC - we are talking about him being actively involved in leading an org that has conflict with our mission.

The question to me isn’t whether Thorburn led good diversity policy in NAB - it’s how did he reconcile that when it’s against his beliefs? Or are his church’s beliefs different to his own. In which case roles are reversed.

I don’t think he would be harmful as Essendon CEO (aside from the optics we are experiencing today), and I wouldn’t be arguing for his exit.

I just think it’s hypocritical / dodgy to put energy into leading something that you don’t believe in. He’s not getting a Christmas card from me.

Sure as plebs we take jobs because we have to. But this is the tone setting guy at the top of the food chain. What does he actually stand for? I think with the current furore he will likely need to answer that directly and in detail.

I like your point about paranoia. Just wanna say though that an organized religion isn’t one person’s private bedroom pursuit. That church is a public organisation with a mission to influence according to their beliefs. We aren’t talking about him putting personal beliefs aside to run EFC - we are talking about him being actively involved in leading an org that has conflict with our mission.

The question to me isn’t whether Thorburn led good diversity policy in NAB - it’s how did he reconcile that when it’s against his beliefs? Or are his church’s beliefs different to his own. In which case roles are reversed.

I don’t think he would be harmful as Essendon CEO (aside from the optics we are experiencing today), and I wouldn’t be arguing for his exit.

I just think it’s hypocritical / dodgy to put energy into leading something that you don’t believe in. He’s not getting a Christmas card from me.

Sure as plebs we take jobs because we have to. But this is the tone setting guy at the top of the food chain. What does he actually stand for? I think with the current furore he will likely need to answer that directly and in detail.
The main issue for me is the AFLW program, some of whom I would assume are active members of the homosexual community.

It’s reasonable to ask what they would be thinking re the appointment of a boss who currently heads another organisation that openly regards their lifestyle as sinful? I’m sure our many homosexual supporters might have the same question.

If that’s not true (and it may not be), then EFC need to make a very strong statement and very quickly.

His appointment is an indication that EFC is a less welcoming club

How so? When he was CEO of NAB, NAB lobbied the AFL to create a pride round;

NAB Group CEO Andrew Thorburn said the introduction of the game was in line with the company's values.

"At NAB we believe in diversitywe want everyone to be themselves at work, home and at the footy," Thorburn said.

"The NAB Pride match has been created because at NAB, we don't just sponsor the game. We want to use football's reach to demonstrate our support for our people and our customers in the communities we serve, regardless of their gender diversity or sexual orientation."

If he can't see the optics of this being bad

Oh so it's just optics, nothing about what he's said, or done. Optics. Let's be clear here about what people are worked up about, because if it was based off what he's said or done, he seems pretty inclusive really.

He's got about a day left to discontinue that role and/or disavow those beliefs

You mean like this?

“There’s a diversity of people. Different races, sexual orientations, faiths and cultures, that’s society. My role as a CEO is to ensure that the organisations that I lead, which I think my record stands for this, is inclusive and welcoming and caring and diverse.

I welcome all those people, everybody is welcome.

Now I want to come to the church. I haven’t read all of that (reports on Monday night)… I’ve never heard these things expressed since my time, I’ve been on the board for two years. But I also want to say in the church - like any diverse society - there are very different views on all these matters. I have different views on some matters, I’m not a pastor, my job in a governance role is to make sure it’s run well.

I don’t always agree with what’s said, but in a way that’s not the point. If we want a diverse society it also means there’s going to be people with different views, and I think as we go forward in Australia, it’s not whether those views exist because they do, the question for harmony is whether we can co-exist and hear each other and respect each other’s views.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back