Fixture 2023 Fixture News & Leaks : Round 1 Released, see OP

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Someone had to start a thread for this, may as well be now… Fixture usually released late October (2weeks), expect the media to start dropping news leaks anytime now.

Any leaks, please divulge.

Edit: Round 1 released

ROUND 1 FIXTURE

Thursday, March 16

Richmond v Carlton, MCG, 7.20pm AEDT

Friday, March 17

Geelong v Collingwood, MCG, 7.40pm AEDT

Saturday, March 18

North Melbourne v West Coast, Marvel Stadium, 1.45pm AEDT

Port Adelaide v Brisbane, Adelaide Oval, 4.05pm ACDT

Melbourne v Western Bulldogs, MCG, 7.25pm AEDT

Gold Coast v Sydney, Metricon Stadium, 7.00pm AEST

Sunday, March 19

Greater Western Sydney v Adelaide, Giants Stadium, 1.10pm AEDT

Hawthorn v Essendon, MCG, 3.20pm AEDT

St Kilda v Fremantle, Marvel Stadium, 4.40pm AEDT

Last edited by a moderator:
Rd 2 - Richmond vs Carlton
Rd 4 - Brisbane vs Collingwood
Rd 4 - Geelong vs Hawthorn
Rd 6 - Collingwood vs Essendon
Rd 13 - Melbourne vs Collingwood

Would be an interesting change but would surprise me given the crowds the game pulls each year
Isn't "Magic Round" going to kick off the season?

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Yes that was mooted for two weeks before ANZAC Day round. Almost certainly in NSW. Also I recall them indicating the season will start a week earlier in 2023.

My wish list will be delivered by playing teams in the bottom 6. No doubt we will get our good share of Sunday 3:20/4:40 games which is ok given Essendon’s deplorable 2022 season.
In a positive, our home game against the Cats for country Game at the MCG means unlikely Essendon goes down the highway in 2023.

carlton_99

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal & NY Knicks
This is probably a stupid question but I am just not getting the purpose of Magic Round. Is there a particular reason why it is being looked at by the AFL? Also if it goes ahead is it an additional round to the overall season (23 + bye) and will it count as a home/away game for any of the teams?

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I thought the country game was done with. Hopefully. As you point out it is just Essendon trying to lock it yet another permanent fixture advantage.
That was Sheedys cunning benefit. Having said that, it’s Essendon’s fault it hasn’t taken off. It just needed one iteration of a top 4 encounter blockbuster on a Sunny day at the MCG to deliver the 75,000+ crowd it needed to go on with it from there. The concept is sound but needs a big crowd and good contest to generate the widespread interest to secure its success.

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
There was somewhat of a leak as part of the Accor Stadium membership it said GWS v Sydney. So looks like thats being played there again for some stupid reason.

banzai

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
This is probably a stupid question but I am just not getting the purpose of Magic Round. Is there a particular reason why it is being looked at by the AFL? Also if it goes ahead is it an additional round to the overall season (23 + bye) and will it count as a home/away game for any of the teams?

Its obviously for money. All teams will still get 11 home games, the teams whos home state the magic round is in will get an extra home game id assume.

Recon_29

All Australian
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton

Extra game. Removes the pre season game apparently. Magic round to be in first national school holidays. Around rounds 4-6.

Its obviously for money. All teams will still get 11 home games, the teams whos home state the magic round is in will get an extra home game id assume.

Of course its for money, money is everything in relation to growing the game and is needed post covid for the AFL and the clubs. States are throwing money at the AFL to host it. Clubs will get a significant 6 figure return from the weekend. Gil did mention they will try to avoid home ground advantage. Sydney play at homebush and GWS at the SCG for example. Not sure how they would do that if it is in WA or SA however. Perhaps if it rotates between states each year it would even out.

Jetafl

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Astros Detroit Red Wings KC Chiefs
It is supposed to be NRL style in 2023 I know our (SA) Premier is bidding hard for it. Supposedly a nice little windfall for the clubs and I'm sure the AFL.

Mentallo

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2005
Your minds eye.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
Not a fan of magic round at all.
Needs to be done for mine late March early April if it going to happen while you still might get a nice Autumnal weekend any later you take the risk of it p155ing rain and being a crap show.

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
Well, one rumour:

Thursday March 16
Richmond v Carlton MCG

Friday March 17
Geelong v Sydney GMHBA

Saturday March 18
Essendon v Brisbane Marvel 1:45
Port v Hawthorn AO 4:35
Collingwood v Melbourne MCG 7:25
Gold Coast v West Coast Metricon 8:10

Sunday March 19
St Kilda v Adelaide Marvel 1:10
GWS v Bulldogs GS 3:20
Freo v North Optus 6:20

Seattle Mariners

Team Captain
Sep 14, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well, one rumour:

Thursday March 16
Richmond v Carlton MCG

Friday March 17
Geelong v Sydney GMHBA

Saturday March 18
Essendon v Brisbane Marvel 1:45
Port v Hawthorn AO 4:35
Collingwood v Melbourne MCG 7:25
Gold Coast v West Coast Metricon 8:10

Sunday March 19
St Kilda v Adelaide Marvel 1:10
GWS v Bulldogs GS 3:20
Freo v North Optus 6:20
Nothing about that fixture is too far fetched.

Got the annual Rich/Carlt season opener, the GF replay, Port and Freo finally at home after a few years and a Brody Grundy grudge match (Pies/Dees)

BigPond101

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is the construction at Geelongs stadium going to be completed by the start of next season ?

Back