Opinion AFL Team of Your Lifetime

Remove this Banner Ad

Very late 70's early 80's through to present time.
Backs.
Ayres
Langford
C. Johnson
Half Backs
Hodge
Jakovich
Enright
Centres
Flower (VC)
Williams
Matera
Half Forwards
Buckenara
Brereton
Hird
Forwards
Madden
Dunstall
Matthews (C)
Rucks
Cox
Voss
Wilson
Interchange
Buckley
Judd
Ablett jnr.
Akermanis
MediSub
Spangher
Coach
Speedy
Assistant coach
Clarkson
Seen alot of great players over 40 odd years these teams are always hard but fun to do.
Obviously biast with a few hawthorn players but saw alot of our games during the great 80's era.
Still maintain that Robbie Flower is the best pure footballer I've seen to date.
Got the Cheif before plugger due to him being more of a team player and more reliable for a entire season.
Brereton before Carey as he had a better finals record.

Last edited:
88 onwards, but probably better memory from 95 onward.

Fletcher - SOS - Hart
Mcleod - Leppitsch - Wanganeen
Cousins - Judd - Black
Mercuri - Carey - Ablett Snr
Cyril - Lockett - Akermanis
Cox - Voss - Ablett Jnr
Buckley - Goodes - Franklin - Hird

Last edited:
88 onwards, but probably better memory from 95 onward.

Fletcher - SOS - Hart
Mcleod - Leppitsch - Wanganeen
Cousins - Hird - Black
Mercuri - Carey - Goodes
Cyril - Lockett - Akermanis
Cox - Voss - Judd
Buckley - Pendlebury - Franklin - Matera
Ablett? Either of them really. Junior still the best I've seen

Circa 2000 onwards:

FB: Chris Johnson (Bri) - Matthew Scarlett (Gee) - Dustin Fletcher (Ess)
HB: Corey Enright (Gee) - Alex Rance (Ric) - Luke Hodge (Haw/Bri)
MF: Adam Goodes (Syd) - Gary Ablett jr (Gee/GC) - Ben Cousins (WC/Ric)
HF: James Hird (Ess) - Nick Riewoldt (StK) - Dustin Martin (Ric)
FF: Lance Franklin (Haw/Syd) - Matthew Lloyd (Ess) - Eddie Betts (Car/Ade)
OB: Dean Cox (WC) - Chris Judd (WC/Car) - Nat Fyfe (Fre)
IC: Aaron Sandilands (Fre) - Robert Harvey (StK) - Michael Voss (Bri) - Nathan Buckley (Col)

This is the best list on this thread so far imo.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The hardest spots to fill are Full Forward and Full Back as those 2 roles have seen the biggest changes in 30-40 years and is the most difficult to compare eras.

Whether or not he's good enough to make the best 22 in the last 4 decades, I reckon Paul Kelly is one of the most criminally under rated and forgotten players. Absolute champion.

Mercuri over Dusty is also interesting

tough call that one.
I went Mercuri given I prefer his forward prowess but I'd take Dusty as the midfielder. midfield just bats too deep over my time of watching.
Thinking on it, I've seen Paul Kelly, Bartel, Harvey, Hayes, Goddard, Diesel Williams, Bradley, Pendles, Sam Mitchell, Burgoyne, Francou, Fyfe, Kerr, Ricciutto, West, Brad Johnson to name a few that don't make that team.

The hardest spots to fill are Full Forward and Full Back as those 2 roles have seen the biggest changes in 30-40 years and is the most difficult to compare eras.

Whether or not he's good enough to make the best 22 in the last 4 decades, I reckon Paul Kelly is one of the most criminally under rated and forgotten players. Absolute champion.
still rate SOS the best full back in the AFL era. Wore opponents like a glove and blanketed guys I'd consider top 4/5 forwards in the same era (Buddy the odd one out)
If he was 25 today, he'd be one of the premier backs of the comp.
Same applies to Fletcher.

FF is hard. Lockett for me given his power and kicking ability. Was hard to leave Lloyd out but can't not have Lockett there.
Carey v Franklin was tough at CHF. Two that would bust open games and were unstoppable when on.\

And agree on Kelly. Gun midfielder.

Last edited:
Love the thread, but damn its hard! I've started in about 1990.

Enright, Glass, Silvagni
Hodge, Jakovich, Macleod
Matera, Black, Goodes
Martin, Carey, Ablett Sr
Rioli Jr, Lockett, D Jarman
Cox, Judd, Ablett Jr

Voss, Buckley, Fyfe, N Riewoldt

Shattered to leave out Dunstall, but he can't fit in that forward line. Same with Franklin. Goodes is my back up ruck. Jarman was so seriously underrated. So was Glass - I always thought he was better than Scarlett, but I don't think I've ever met a non-Eagles fan who agrees with me.

I've left Hird out, but maybe I'm impacted by things that went on after his playing career - I still would've had Selwood, Daniel Kerr, Greg Williams and Cousins ahead of him in this team.

Enright, Glass, Silvagni
Hodge, Jakovich, Macleod
Matera, Black, Goodes
Martin, Carey, Ablett Sr
Cox, Judd, Ablett Jr

Shattered to leave out Dunstall, but he can't fit in that forward line. Same with Franklin. Goodes is my back up ruck. Jarman was so seriously underrated. So was Glass - I always thought he was better than Scarlett, but I don't think I've ever met a non-Eagles fan who agrees with me.

I've left Hird out, but maybe I'm impacted by things that went on after his playing career - I still would've had Selwood, Daniel Kerr, Greg Williams and Cousins ahead of him in this team.
Great team, what a bench!

This is my All Australian side from the period 1975 (my birth year) to 2022. It's consisting of players who have played in the VFL/AFL, SANFL and WAFL during that period, hence with well-known names who didn't come over to Victoria, but would've been really great to watch, like AFL Hall of Fame Legend and 3 time Magarey Medal winner Barrie Robran from North Adelaide; Magarey Medal victors Michael Aish (1981) & Garry McIntosh (1994-95) from Norwood; and dual Sandover Medallist Stephen Michael from South Fremantle (who would've been a handy player for the West Coast Eagles alongside Ross Glendinning, Robert Wiley, John Annear, Stephen Malaxos & Laurie Keene if he had not retired two years before the Eagles came into the VFL/AFL in 1987). 4 time Magarey Medal winner & SA & AFL Hall of Fame Legend, the late Russell Ebert from Port Adelaide who also came over to play with North Melbourne in 1979, is the captain of the 1975-2022 All Australian Team.

The team is from:

B: A.Rance (Rich) G.Ayres (Haw) B.Doull (Carlt)

HB: J.Rantall (SM/NM/Fitz) P.Knights (Haw) T.Daniher (SM/Ess)

C: K.Greig (NM) R.Ebert (c)(Port Adel/NM) Peter Matera (WCE)

HF: G.Ablett snr (Haw/Geel) W.Carey (NM/Adel) W.Johnston (Carlt)

F: T.Lockett (Stk/Syd) J.Dunstall (Haw) L.Matthews (Haw)

R: S.Madden (Ess) B.Robran (Nth Adel) B.Cable (Per/NM/EPer)

INT: B.Peake (EFrem/Geel) S.Michael (SthFrem) M.Aish (Norwood) G.McIntosh (Norwood)

EMERG: D.Martin (Rich) G.McKenna (WCE) G.Dempsey (Foots/NM) M.Rioli (SthFrem/Rich)

COACH: Ron Barassi
ASS.COACH: Graham Cornes & John Todd

UMPIRES: Ian Robinson (Vic), Laurie Argent(SA), Mike Ball (WA)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B. Ayres Silvagni Scarlett

HB McLeod Jakovich Doull

C. Matera Williams Ablett Snr

HF Franklin Carey Martin

F Matthews Lockett Ablett Jnr

R S.Madden Judd Selwood

Int. Goodes Hird Daicos Hodge

Best 3

1. Matthews (C)
2. Carey (VC)
3. Ablett Snr
Love Ablett Senior selection on wing. He played some of his best football on the wing including his first game for Geelong in 1984 v Fitzroy

tough call that one.
I went Mercuri given I prefer his forward prowess but I'd take Dusty as the midfielder. midfield just bats too deep over my time of watching.
Thinking on it, I've seen Paul Kelly, Bartel, Harvey, Hayes, Goddard, Diesel Williams, Bradley, Pendles, Sam Mitchell, Burgoyne, Francou, Fyfe, Kerr, Ricciutto, West, Brad Johnson to name a few that don't make that team.

Yeah fair enough, I think pretty much everybody would either have Dusty at HF/fwd pocket or not in the team at all. He’s a hybrid player.

Love Ablett Senior selection on wing. He played some of his best football on the wing including his first game for Geelong in 1984 v Fitzroy

I always remember Mr Football Ted Whitten say adamently and seriously(a rare thing for him) that the football of the young Ablett Snr and Diesel, on the wing and in the centre under Tommy Hafey at Geelong was by far the best football he ever saw in his lifetime. He saw every game commentating for K Rock(i think it was) and was in awe.

After only 7 AFL games, Snr was slotted in on a flank in the Vic Team and kicked 7 lol. What a freak. His days on a wing were prolly destined to be cut short after that. Unfortunate in a way. But what a superstar.

Enright, Glass, Silvagni
Hodge, Jakovich, Macleod
Matera, Black, Goodes
Martin, Carey, Ablett Sr
Cox, Judd, Ablett Jr

Glass was an incredibly good fullback, no issue with him being in a side. What most of us Cats fans will say about Scarlett is that he was skilful enough with the ball that he could have played just about anywhere else on the field if he wasn’t such a good key defender.

Glass was an incredibly good fullback, no issue with him being in a side. What most of us Cats fans will say about Scarlett is that he was skilful enough with the ball that he could have played just about anywhere else on the field if he wasn’t such a good key defender.

I actually nearly put Scarlett at CHB for this exact reason, but those Carey/Jakovich duels were all-time. And Jakovich generally got the better of a bloke who was widely regarded as the best ever in the 90s.

I always remember Mr Football Ted Whitten say adamently and seriously(a rare thing for him) that the football of the young Ablett Snr and Diesel, on the wing and in the centre under Tommy Hafey at Geelong was by far the best football he ever saw in his lifetime. He saw every game commentating for K Rock(i think it was) and was in awe.

After only 7 AFL games, Snr was slotted in on a flank in the Vic Team and kicked 7 lol. What a freak. His days on a wing were prolly destined to be cut short after that. Unfortunate in a way. But what a superstar.

I know we all romanticise the things from when we were young, and when we were first falling in love with something/someone - but I don't think I'll ever see one better than Ablett Snr. Just an amazingly talented guy who could also do the absolutely freakish.

My great grandfather had an amazing bid of Ablett Snr memorabilia that I was supposed to get when he passed away, and another relative stole it. Haven't spoken to him since.

I know we all romanticise the things from when we were young, and when we were first falling in love with something/someone - but I don't think I'll ever see one better than Ablett Snr. Just an amazingly talented guy who could also do the absolutely freakish.

My great grandfather had an amazing bid of Ablett Snr memorabilia that I was supposed to get when he passed away, and another relative stole it. Haven't spoken to him since.

Not so long ago I actually started to wonder whether he was as good as I remember - I was 13 when he played his last game - for that very reason: the way everything gets better with age.

I watched a couple of YouTube clips and it put any doubt to bed pretty quickly.

Very late 70's early 80's through to present time.
Backs.
Ayres
Langford
C. Johnson
Half Backs
Hodge
Jakovich
Enright
Centres
Flower (VC)
Williams
Matera
Half Forwards
Buckenara
Brereton
Hird
Forwards
Madden
Dunstall
Matthews (C)
Rucks
Cox
Voss
Wilson
Interchange
Buckley
Judd
Ablett jnr.
Akermanis
I like how you've actually chosen between Dunstall, Lockett and Ablett snr rather than put one of 'em in a pocket.

Give it a go.

Brad Hardie, Kelvin Moore, Ashley McIntosh.

Guy McKenna, Doug Green, Bruce Doull.

Dipper, Wayne Johnston, Robbie Flowers.

Mark Mercuri, Garry Lyon, James Hird.

Dusty, Bernie Quinlan, Leigh Matthews.

R: Simon Madden, Michael Voss (the young version), Gary Wilson.

Int: Ross Glendinning, Simon Black, Graham Moss, Paul Kelly.

Edit: Apologies to Ken Hunter and Luke Hodge et al.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back