World Cup 2022 FIFA World Cup - Group C - (Argentina, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Poland)

Remove this Banner Ad

What a mess for Messi and co. Argentina will be aware Spain lost their first match 12 years ago and ended up winning the World Cup. I can remember Portugal and the Netherlands looking so impressive in the group stages of EURO 2008 only for both to be knocked out in the quarter finals. They have to win 6 in a row basically to win become world champs and they're capable of doing that.

Congratulations though to Saudi Arabia who made Argentina look like a team bereft of ideas in that hour long 2nd half. That match winning goal was a goal fit to win any game.

They were due for a loss, better now than the eliminations

Poland are light weights and Mexico have nice feet but don't penetrate anywhere near enough.

Of the two, I reckon Mexico have the more scope to improve. Poland are just plodders.

A team built around 1 player
Unfortunately for National teams/Argentina, they can't go out, pay mega bucks on hand picked players to do all the donkey work. That's the beauty of the World Cup - it's just raw with no bells and whistles so to speak. Each Nation picks their best players available for various positions and the absolute top notch players rise to the top, the rest are just the rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were due for a loss, better now than the eliminations
They've got to get out of the group first and their ain't no guarantee that they will. Poland are pretty good at the back even though they don't have anything worth talking about in the middle of the park and Mexico could well pass their way through Argentina.

I love the World Cup because it's just so bloody fascinating!

Next Tweet Kay had was about his article he wrote when he visited Saudi Arabia in September and explains why the Saudi PIF bought Newcastle.

Oliver Kay
More on Saudi football culture in this piece re the Newcastle takeover. We can all question and criticise PIF’s motives for buying a Premier League club — ok, some won’t— but do not underestimate the passion for football among the Saudi people

Its archived at the following link

When I was at marine college near Newcastle, we used to call it Saudi shields

I think Argentina could hit the Saudis for 5.

That aged well! But to be fair I thought the same. Leo can't win games single handed any more. And you have to give credit to the Saudis.
They defended in numbers and took their chances. Their second goal is the goal of the tournament so far.

I feel today a lot of the other Argentine player's let Messi down. Guy's like Lutaro, Paredes, Papu, De Paul.

But this is why I always have loved Football.

I feel today a lot of the other Argentine player's let Messi down. Guy's like Lutaro, Paredes, Papu, De Paul.
In the second half the Saudis gave Argentina a harder time than I though pre match, but I would be dumbfounded if Argentina don't progress as one of the two teams from Group C. Not an ideal start from them but we move on, class is permanent, and they have as good a chance as any to lift the cup.

Last edited:
Just caught up with Arg-Saud and what a great game that was. Sets the standard for the tournament really. Saudis were good in the first half, enthusiastic and athletic, but Arg were getting all those (mostly offside) runs out the back. Then to come from behind in the second half with two great goals and hold on for forty minutes. Qatar and Iran getting reamed was worth it for a historic result like this from the Sauds. The most positive I've ever seen from Saudi Arabia in a WC game.

That said, Martin Tyler's call in the final minutes was a bit poor, referring to time wasting, he didn't quite capture the anxious tone of that moment. The Saudi player had clearly taken a sickening knee to the head, and the goalkeeper would need to quickly pick himself back up from that friendly fire with the likelihood of needing to make a few more saves. That he did so was so gutsy. That late injury put a slight dampener on the result but otherwise the atmosphere in that stadium was electric once the Saudis started applying scoreboard pressure, looked a very pretty ground to show off the early open-roof day game as well.

Also, screw that ref. All those yellows, the undeserved Messi penalty (thankfully missed) and then almost 5 additional minutes.

Just caught up with Arg-Saud and what a great game that was. Sets the standard for the tournament really. Saudis were good in the first half, enthusiastic and athletic, but Arg were getting all those (mostly offside) runs out the back. Then to come from behind in the second half with two great goals and hold on for forty minutes. Qatar and Iran getting reamed was worth it for a historic result like this from the Sauds. The most positive I've ever seen from Saudi Arabia in a WC game.

That said, Martin Tyler's call in the final minutes was a bit poor, referring to time wasting, he didn't quite capture the anxious tone of that moment. The Saudi player had clearly taken a sickening knee to the head, and the goalkeeper would need to quickly pick himself back up from that friendly fire with the likelihood of needing to make a few more saves. That he did so was so gutsy. That late injury put a slight dampener on the result but otherwise the atmosphere in that stadium was electric once the Saudis started applying scoreboard pressure, looked a very pretty ground to show off the early open-roof day game as well.

Also, screw that ref. All those yellows, the undeserved Messi penalty (thankfully missed) and then almost 5 additional minutes.

I’ve seen far worse time wasting. The ref literally pushing a guy to go off quicker was Komic Kut’s

maxresdefault.0.0.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back