World Cup 2022 FIFA World Cup - Group D - (France, Australia, Denmark, Tunisia)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m in Singapore for work. Any recommendations on best place to watch? Rang Boomarang bar, not opening for it.

Still surprised there isn't a second A-League side in Adelaide with the amount of talent produced. Adelaide City getting in for a derby would be awesome.
I think you'll find they'll be one of the teams invited to join the National Second Division competition that's expected to be established in the next year or two, which will mean we're very likely to see Adelaide derbies in the future. Here are the 12 teams that are expected to be a part of the founding members of the NSD who will be given the opportunity to be promoted into the A-League each and every season:

New South Wales (4)
  • APIA Leichardt
  • Sydney Olympic
  • Sydney United 58
  • Wollongong Wolves
Victoria (3)
  • Heidelberg United
  • Melbourne Knights
  • South Melbourne
Queensland (2)
  • Brisbane Strikers
  • Gold Coast United
ACT (1)
  • Canberra FC
South Australia (1)
  • Adelaide City
Tasmania (1)
  • Hobart FC

It'll be nice to see former A-League team Gold Coast United have the opportunity to re-enter the A-League and right the wrongs of previous management instead of just being remembered as a joke. I think the Gold Coast as a city has changed a fair bit since the old GCU days and I'd expect the team to do a lot better this time around. Like Adelaide City, the Brisbane Strikers will also create the opportunity for a genuine local derby with the Brisbane Roar, who have had the city of Brisbane to themselves for a while now. Obviously the introduction of old NSL rivalries like South Melbourne vs Melbourne Knights adds another layer of intrigue to this movement and including teams in Canberra/Hobart gives it a genuine national feel. Just missing a team from the NT but who knows if they'll ever be in a position to genuine run a professional sports team.

Anyway. Back on point. Queensland and Western Australia need to step up their game in terms of producing Socceroos!

I think you'll find they'll be one of the teams invited to join the National Second Division competition that's expected to be established in the next year or two, which will mean we're very likely to see Adelaide derbies in the future. Here are the 12 teams that are expected to be founding members of the NSD who will be given the opportunity to be promoted into the A-League each and every season:

New South Wales (4)
  • APIA Leichardt
  • Sydney Olympic
  • Sydney United 58
  • Wollongong Wolves
Victoria (3)
  • Heidelberg United
  • Melbourne Knights
  • South Melbourne
Queensland (2)
  • Brisbane Strikers
  • Gold Coast United
ACT (1)
  • Canberra FC
South Australia (1)
  • Adelaide City
Tasmania (1)
  • Hobart FC

It'll be nice to see former A-League Gold Coast United have the opportunity to re-enter the A-League and right the wrongs of previous management instead of just being remembered as a joke. I think the Gold Coast as a city has changed a fair bit since the old GCU days and I'd expect the team to do a lot better this time around. Like Adelaide City, the Brisbane Strikers will also create the opportunity for a genuine local derby with the Brisbane Roar, who have had the city of Brisbane to themselves for a while now. Obviously the introduction of old NSL rivalries like South Melbourne vs Melbourne Knights adds another layer of intrigue to this movement and including teams in Canberra/Hobart gives it a genuine national feel. Just missing a team from the NT but who knows if they'll ever be in a position to genuine run a professional sports team.

Anyway. Back on point. Queensland and Western Australia need to step up their game in terms of producing Socceroos!

I don't think pro/rel will happen with the A-league for a little while yet, think they'll get the second division up and running and linked with the tiers below before they connect to the A-League.

I don't think pro/rel will happen with the A-league for a little while yet, think they'll get the second division up and running and linked with the tiers below before they connect to the A-League.
I do like that in English football a team like Canvey island can reach the top... 🤔 In theory lol

I feel it might be the other way around. Build up some prestige with the NSD and then creation promotion-relegation with the A-League but no lower than that. The reason being that Football Australia will want to retain as much national representation at the top as possible. So even if teams like Brisbane Roar, Adelaide United and Perth Glory are relegated without being replaced other teams from their state, you still know they can't possible go any lower than the second division and are potentially just one season shy of being promoted back into the A-League so most fans will stick with them. Although unlikely, it would be theoretically possible under this model to have all 12 A-League teams from Sydney and Melbourne but even if that were the case, it would only last one season and then teams from other parts of the country would be promoted back into the top division.

Connection with the lower divisions, and then eventually with the A-League, drastically increases the chances of Melbourne and Sydney drowning out all other parts of the country from the top divisions and I simply cannot see Football Australia allowing that as it's not in the best interests of growing the game nationally.

Bruce may have Daisy Pearce?

I quite like Daisy and her comments. But there seems to be two questions here.

Is women's sport at the level of men? That would seem to be objectively not true but some people have trouble with that reality.

Who is qualified to act as expert analyst on the games we are watching? When I watch test cricket there are former captains providing insights. With AFL they like to parade the credentials of Jonathon Brown, Luke Hodge, Nick Riewoldt, David King. Daisy is the odd one out here.

Is women's sport at the level of men? That would seem to be objectively not true but some people have trouble with that reality.

Who is qualified to act as expert analyst on the games we are watching? When I watch test cricket there are former captains providing insights. With AFL they like to parade the credentials of Jonathon Brown, Luke Hodge, Nick Riewoldt, David King. Daisy is the odd one out here.

Why do you keep presenting this strawman argument? Why does it have to be at the same level?

Just because someone played at the highest level... Doesn't actually mean they know what they are talking about.... And just cos someone played B grade country football doesn't mean there knowledge is any less them some "experts'

Just because someone played at the highest level... Doesn't actually mean they know what they are talking about.... And just cos someone played B grade country football doesn't mean there knowledge is any less them some "experts'

This. There are plenty of people that have never played at the highest level that have fantastic football brains and would be much better analysts than most of the idiots we get stuck with just because they were pros.

This. There are plenty of people that have never played at the highest level that have fantastic football brains and would be much better analysts than most of the idiots we get stuck with just because they were pros.
Yep. Everyone who’s never seen a footy has more knowledge than BT 😅

Commentary has nothing to do with expert qualifications.
Commentary is all about engaging with the people who have no idea about the sport but who want to watch anyway.

Lol. What a mess you are.

Most people recognize there's a massive gulf between the quality in men and women's sport.

Most people can also recognize when there's a sexist idiot moaning that women don't deserve to commentate because they're not men.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the flip side, SA does quite well for themselves when producing footballers which goes down to United who have a very solid youth system. Got to make up for their significant lack of cricketing talent somehow.
This was a 7 news Adelaide just before WC started, re junior club development in northern suburbs as 3 of the Socceroos played their junior soccer there. Craig Goodwin's dad got his wish.

Couple of days ago I happened to catch the ABC News during lunchtime and they interviewed Blacktown City FC junior development coach where 5 of the current Socceroos started their soccer careers. The video is at;

The coach made an interesting point about the AIS program. They gave out scholarships for whole sports programs, now they seem to give out general sports education scholarships to elite athletes rather than have a whole of sport scholarships program.

The AIS Football - men's program ran between 1981 and 2013. If you click on the various links at the page below you see the intake each year and links to which scholarship holders went to various tournaments, won various awards and played in the various WCs and its half the squad in 2006 and 2010 and only 7 in 2014.

Being g a great footballer and winning everything is no guarantee of being an interesting or insightful commentator.

Give me someone that is prepared to work, research and earn their commentary gig than someone that gets it because they used to kick a ball alright.

I'm still staggered by the amount of experts on TV that openly admit to not knowing the rules and obviously can't be bothered taking the time and effort to learn them.

On male v female commentators, there's good and bad of both. I'll judge on what they do and say, not who they are.

There's countless examples of this being the case. Chris Fagan played his whole career in the TFL and never made it at the VFL/AFL level but I bet everyone would stand up and listen to him if he was giving an insight into the game.

Certain people also seem to be more suited to particular roles e.g. Tony Armstrong had a very unspectacular 35 game AFL career but seems to be a bit of a natural when it comes to working in the media.

Probably the greatest AFL commentator of all time goes by the name of Bruce McAvaney and he never played football at any notable level to the best of my knowledge. Anthony Hudson, Stephen Quartermain, Mark Howard etc. I'm sure there are plenty of AFL fans out there that would rather hear one of these guys commentate over a guy like Brian Taylor who played at the highest level for many years and even captured a Coleman Medal in one of those years.

So just because you played at the highest level doesn't mean you will be an entertaining or insightful commentator and just because you didn't play at the VFL/AFL level/didn't play pro football at any level, doesn't mean you can't be entertaining or insightful on commentary. When commentating, judge Daisy on her commentary, not on her AFLW career.

We seem to be getting some common ground with this discussion. Most people (even Jeremias) recognise there's a massive gulf between the quality in men's and women's sport. Not everyone who has played at the highest level is equipped to give expert opinion. Some people who haven't played at the highest level might be knowledgeable about their sport. Everyone on board so far?

Given those things, I would still argue that there are plenty of people who have played at the highest level who are equipped to give expert opinion. And having played at the highest level lends some credibility to their views. Channel 7 is always keen to trumpet the AFL achievements of Wayne Carey, Matthew Richardson, Jonathon Brown, Luke Hodge, Nick Riewoldt, David King etc. Test cricket usually requires former captains on the expert comments.

In terms of playing level skill and experience there would be a long list of former AFL players ahead of a list of former VFL players. Then a long list of VFL players ahead of women footballers. Yet Daisy gets a TV gig ahead of all these former AFL and VFL players? Ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back