Review Winners and losers 2022 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Daine

Debutant
Aug 24, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Good draft on paper but just more of the same for the Bombers. Once again you haven’t looked to fix any of your glaring issues.

disagree. Our forward line is really lacking talent. The davey twins and Munkara are a nice boost potentially. We also really lack speed in the midfield. Adding an explosive 187cm midfielder like Tsatas is something different and much needed. You could argue we have enough key defenders, but I am not really convinced by them personally. So I don’t actually mind the addition of the highly rated Lewis Hayes. Great draft for us IMO

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Good draft on paper but just more of the same for the Bombers. Once again you haven’t looked to fix any of your glaring issues.

Isn't the premise of this thread regarding the players taken? not necessarily the club they went to

On paper they were sensational selections, can't deny that. Holes filled both via drafting and trading so can't complain. Would be nice to have one more bigger midfielder but selling Setterfield short who should see plenty of minutes there for us next year

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
disagree. Our forward line is really lacking talent. The davey twins and Munkara are a nice boost potentially. We also really lack speed in the midfield. Adding an explosive 187cm midfielder like Tsatas is something different and much needed. You could argue we have enough key defenders, but I am not really convinced by them personally. So I don’t actually mind the addition of the highly rated Lewis Hayes. Great draft for us IMO

I was on record throughout the past 12 - 18 months saying we needed more run and carry, creative players and we have absolutely hit the brief out of the park this off season.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

I like Tsatas and Hayes for value at each selection but don’t think they add to what you already have. Does Tsatas provide the point of difference that Phillipou or Humphrey may have? What happens if Reid and BZT form a brilliant partnership next year or Cox makes CHB his own?

The twins and Munkara are no brainers for the discount and potential.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Isn't the premise of this thread regarding the players taken? not necessarily the club they went to

On paper they were sensational selections, can't deny that. Holes filled both via drafting and trading so can't complain. Would be nice to have one more bigger midfielder but selling Setterfield short who should see plenty of minutes there for us next year

I don't really begrudge any of the players Essendon took in the draft (i actually think Tjastas will end up being an inspired/correct pick) but I still think you probably should have taken a KPF like Harry Lemmey with one of your mid range picks.

But no one knows for sure, I would be fairly satisfied/content with Essendon's draft haul if I were a Bombers fan.

Harlequin Dream

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
I like Tsatas and Hayes for value at each selection but don’t think they add to what you already have. Does Tsatas provide the point of difference that Phillipou or Humphrey may have? What happens if Reid and BZT form a brilliant partnership next year or Cox makes CHB his own?

The twins and Munkara are no brainers for the discount and potential.
I think the logic of the Tsatas selection is that we really have lacked star players in recent history. Tsatas has high offensive potential and could be a damaging if he develops well.

We have a good record with mid season drafts and SSP to find enough foot-soldiers. We need to find a star.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
That's the best part?

We copped it mercifully for giving up our draft hand during those seasons yet still made out better than clubs with multiple high selections during that period.

It's absolutely the best part, because Jager O'Meara himself certainly wasn't.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Kinda did pay two pick 1’s.
Pick 1 2021 (JHF)
Pick 1 2022

But considering the news that JHF wished to be traded after 1 year the outcome of Sheezel, Wardlaw and a F1 was a decent outcome. They were the two players North wanted.

Mind you a pretty high trade offer was made by Adelaide and Richmond prior to the 2021 ND.
Richmond’s offer was not very good. Crows was 6, 6 and 15 for 1 and 20.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
staggered by the lack of leverage Essendon is getting in this thread.

Some quarters rated Alwyn Jnr as a first rounder, some also rated Anthony Munkara as talented as any first rounder this year. Jayden, should the knee not have gone would have gone before Alwyn Jnr whilst the acquisition of Tsatas who some suggested was apart of the 'big 5' (Wardlaw, Cadman, Ashcroft, Sheezel, Tsatas) is as exciting as the Davey's.
Jayden was always rated as a late or rookie pick even before injury.

Majority of ess supporters didn’t want Tsatas due to his lack of tackling and defensive game. Had the chance to address your big bodied mid issue.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I think the logic of the Tsatas selection is that we really have lacked star players in recent history. Tsatas has high offensive potential and could be a damaging if he develops well.

We have a good record with mid season drafts and SSP to find enough foot-soldiers. We need to find a star.

Yeah I really do like Tsatas otherwise. I just wonder if Dodoro went too safe with the bigger bodied mids available.

mike ross

All Australian
Jun 8, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Yeah I really do like Tsatas otherwise. I just wonder if Dodoro went too safe with the bigger bodied mids available.
I guess he just went for the best available player. The tackling pressure will be worked on and he wants to get better at it.

Lars27

Debutant
Jun 6, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

Majority of ess supporters didn’t want Tsatas due to his lack of tackling and defensive game. Had the chance to address your big bodied mid issue.

Agree that Tsatas needs to improve his defensive game. But most supporters would of seen very little of these players. Maybe some highlights on YouTube or a champs game at best. A poll on the essendon board did have Phillipou 60% and Tsatas at 28. But Phillipou is no Cripps and some draft watchers think he may end up more of a winger as he "doesn't have a massive appetite for the contest".
Geelong like their big contested mids but overlooked Phillipou for Jhye Clark who is 181cm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
We copped it mercifully for giving up our draft hand during those seasons yet still made out better than clubs with multiple high selections during that period.

It's absolutely the best part, because Jager O'Meara himself certainly wasn't.

Those picks really have nothing to do with the JOM trade though. We didn't get them back as part of the trade.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets

Tsatas looks like an average kick too, IMO.

He had a big of the Judd's about him. He'll burst away and that looks flash, but when he comes to kicking it seems to be all over the place. But that and his defensive game can be worked on.

There were really no big bodied clearance midfielders in the draft. I suppose you could say Phillipou or Ginbey, but the former isn't exactly that kind of midfielder and the latter is from WA (flight risk?) and doesn't have the exposed midfield form of Tsatas. The other player that probably fits the bill the most didn't even get drafted or rookied in the end (the Polish name).

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

Post knee, Jayden was always going to end up a late selection.

Some itk’s rate Jayden higher than Alwyn Jnr.

Tsatas is the bankable selection, the base hit. He was rated in that very top echelon of players all year so hard to deny he was a poor selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Those picks really have nothing to do with the JOM trade though. We didn't get them back as part of the trade.

We traded away access to the higher end of multiple drafts to acquire him.

The fact we then made out like bandits in the long run with our highest draft pick over 3 seasons being 45 is remarkable.

2016: Harry Morrison, Mitch Lewis
2017: James Worpel, Dylan Moore
2018: Jacob Koschitzke

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Post knee, Jayden was always going to end up a late selection.

Some itk’s rate Jayden higher than Alwyn Jnr.

Tsatas is the bankable selection, the base hit. He was rated in that very top echelon of players all year so hard to deny he was a poor selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pre knee he was rated a 3rd rounder - rookie selection.

I have not seen anyone rank Jayden higher. Alwyn was always the good Davey.

Pre knee he was rated a 3rd rounder - rookie selection.

I have not seen anyone rank Jayden higher. Alwyn was always the good Davey.
Which knee? The first or second?

Before his first knee Oakleigh were saying he was the better brother. Nobody had rankings beyond the top 20 before round 1, so saying he was rated "third round to rookie" is a load of BS.

Post his second knee, no s**t he was always going to be late. He'd barely played any footy from under 16's to now due to COVID and 2 ACL's.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dogs did pretty well. Buss and Clarke were close to best available as well as being huge list needs, I don't know heaps about Gallagher but the players I was hoping for weren't there. (I had my eye on Binns, and then Hustwaite and Hotton slid almost to our pick but not quite.)

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics

This is my feeling.
I think Tsatas ticked the box we tend to like (safe pick) + addressed that star quality need.
Phillipou would have been a close 2nd imo.

Scott also said pre-draft we were looking at best available rather than needs as needs can change in 12m. I think that was a less than subtle nod to the fact every player has next year to prove themselves.
Expect a decent shake up of the list next year once the coach and his team have had the year with them, and the grand Dodoro has been shifted out and we have a list manager with less investment in our "selections"

Starting to balance out the prospects
2x KPD in Zerk & Hayes
2x swing KPP in Cox and Reid
1x KPF in Jones
2x rucks in Draper and Bryan
4x small/medium fwd's - JDavey, Munkara, Wanganeen, Menzie + ADavey as a HF/mid
Young midfield of Tsatas, Hobbs, Caldwell, Perkins, Martin & Durham to succeed the Shiel/Parish/Merrett engine room.

Need another KPF & the more contested mids we can add the better

And we need these kids to make it as well.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is my feeling.
I think Tsatas ticked the box we tend to like (safe pick) + addressed that star quality need.
Phillipou would have been a close 2nd imo.

Scott also said pre-draft we were looking at best available rather than needs as needs can change in 12m. I think that was a less than subtle nod to the fact every player has next year to prove themselves.
Expect a decent shake up of the list next year once the coach and his team have had the year with them, and the grand Dodoro has been shifted out and we have a list manager with less investment in our "selections"

Starting to balance out the prospects
2x KPD in Zerk & Hayes
2x swing KPP in Cox and Reid
1x KPF in Jones
2x rucks in Draper and Bryan
4x small/medium fwd's - JDavey, Munkara, Wanganeen, Menzie + ADavey as a HF/mid
Young midfield of Tsatas, Hobbs, Caldwell, Perkins, Martin & Durham to succeed the Shiel/Parish/Merrett engine room.

Need another KPF & the more contested mids we can add the better

And we need these kids to make it as well.

What's this star quality need you keep going on about?

Wasn't that Stringer and Shiel??

Merrett is a 2 x AA midfielder? Parish is an AA midfielder?

I think if Tsatas has the career Merrett has had, you will be doing extremely well, but if he's not considered a "star" by Bombers fans? What then is your expectation?

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
What's this star quality need you keep going on about?

Wasn't that Stringer and Shiel??

Merrett is a 2 x AA midfielder? Parish is an AA midfielder?

I think if Tsatas has the career Merrett has had, you will be doing extremely well, but if he's not considered a "star" by Bombers fans? What then is your expectation?
The top tier - Dusty, Bont, Cripps etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back