Who is the best team in the history of the game to not win a grand final??

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton 2009 had the following:
  • Chris Judd aged 25 (and 12 months off winning the Brownlow)
  • Brendan Fevola aged 28, the reigning Coleman medallist, in his absolute prime
  • Murphy (21) and Gibbs (20), both of whom had just finished top 10 in the Brownlow
  • 22 year old Eddie Betts, arguable the best small forward ever, as well as 19yo Jeff Garlett
  • Chris Yarran, Andrew Walker, Jordan Russell, Shaun Grigg - all top 10 draft picks under the age of 22, and all solid enough at least
  • Matthew Kreuzer, Sam Jacobs, Shaun Hampson and Robbie Warnock as uckmen
  • a host of solid veterans- Kade Simpson, Jarrad Waite, Heath Scotland, Andrew Carazzo, Brad Fisher, Richard Hadlee, Ryan Houlihan, Michael Jamison, Bret Thornton- all aged 22-28 and with plenty of good footy left

Best 22 at the time:
b: Russell, Jamison, Scotland
hb: Yarran, Thornton, Simpson
c: Walker, Gibbs, Grigg
hf: Houlihan, Waite, Garlett
ff: Betts, Fevola, Kreuzer
Foll: Jacobs, Judd, Murphy

Bench: Carazzo, Fisher, Hadlee, Hampson,
Again, only Fev/Scotland are 28, and Houlihan 27. The rest of the team was 26 and under.

That team never finished higher than 5th in the years that followed. I reckon if you went back and replayed from that point forward 100 times that is just about the worst possible outcome.
When Yarran played fwd, might’ve been the most dangerous indigenous fwd line ever.

Collingwood 1966_1970 specifically 1970. Best team in it by several goals.
Had been building beautifully over the previous five or six seasons. Ready to go and dominated the blues in the first half, famously leading by 44 at the break.
Injuries to Tuddenham and McKenna, made a difference but credit to Carlton they won on the day. FOr what it’s worth - nothing- Collingwood beat Carlton 12 goals to 2 in the H& A season in 1970 and by 99 points in 1971.
I am clearly biassed, but I have always regarded the Collingwood 1970 team as the best team to not win a premiership.
This game was significant in other ways too. If Collingwood continue with their first half dominance, Len Thomson might even have been selected in the TOC. He and Big Nick had a swag of outstanding clashes. There was never more that a cigarette paper between them.

I remember this period even though I was quite young. We lived close to Vic Park in 68/69 and Johnston St would be flooded with people on game day.

Collingwood were certainly a strong side and Bob Rose must be one of the unluckiest coaches ever.

Saints 09-10 is a good suggestion by the OP
Collingwood of the early noughties coming up against the Brisbane juggernaut
Melbourne team of the late 1980s was laden with talent, they were killing it in the 87 finals series and would have won the grand final IMO if Stynes didn't have his brain fade in the prelim
Agree on the Saints. Collingwood 02, was a magnificent effort from an honest side. In 03, the Maggies were pretty stuffed with Anthony Rocca getting himself rubbed out and Jason Cloke as a CHF. But it was a much better side than the 02 version.

With regard to Melbourne 1987, it was a little before my time and I could stand to be corrected but it wasn’t an enormously talented side - Carlton beat a great Hawthorn side quite comfortably and I’ve little doubt they would’ve dusted an overachieving Melbourne. In terms of laden with talent sides, the mid to late 90s Melbourne sides wasted the opportunity to do more. Similarly 04-06 was as good a chance as any to pinch a flag given it was in between the dominance of Brisbane/Port and the rise of Geelong.
  • Murphy (21) and Gibbs (20), both of whom had just finished top 10 in the Brownlow
  • 22 year old Eddie Betts, arguable the best small forward ever, as well as 19yo Jeff Garlett
  • Chris Yarran, Andrew Walker, Jordan Russell, Shaun Grigg - all top 10 draft picks under the age of 22, and all solid enough at least
  • a host of solid veterans- Kade Simpson, Jarrad Waite, Heath Scotland, Andrew Carazzo, Brad Fisher, Richard Hadlee, Ryan Houlihan, Michael Jamison, Bret Thornton- all aged 22-28 and with plenty of good footy left

Best 22 at the time:

Again, only Fev/Scotland are 28, and Houlihan 27. The rest of the team was 26 and under.

That team never finished higher than 5th in the years that followed. I reckon if you went back and replayed from that point forward 100 times that is just about the worst possible outcome.
Judd was a superstar. Fevola was mercurial and there were some really solid citizens as well as young players with potential in that side. However, 5th was probably about their ceiling in my opinion. I remember watching that Carlton side often and thinking they would likely miss finals if it weren’t for Judd most of the time. The Carlton team from 1999-2001 was a much better side that could’ve won a flag.

Adelaide 05-06 was a golden opportunity to win one. Terrific midfield (Ricciuto, Edwards, Goodwin, McLeod with Thompson and Stenglein adding some grunt) excellent defence (Hart, Bassett, Rutten and Bock) but lacked a bit of firepower (Burton, Welsh, Petrie?) iirc. Sydney and West Coast had an amazing rivalry and split those flags but Adelaide could’ve easily won one of them.

Similarly the Crows could’ve won in 16/17. Arguably had a better balanced side than 05-06 but just couldn’t quite get it done for various reasons in between dynasties again.

Best 22 at the time:

Spine is a bit thin, apart from Fev none of these players are A graders.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong 2008

North 1998

St Kilda 2009

Collingwood 2011

Richmond 2018

Hawthorn 2012

All pretty much the number one side in their respective years undone by one bad game and/or poor goalkicking at the wrong time (although Geelong 2011 were the standout equal best team that year along with Collingwood, and only team to beat Collingwood)

Bulldogs from about 2007 to 2010 were really unlucky to come up against Geelong, Pies, Hawks and Saints teams to just pip them into making Grand Finals. They had some good teams around then that were always just short somewhere.

I think we were unlucky not to make one Grand Final in those years, but if we had’ve made one, each of the teams we would have played in the GF those years (Hawthorn 08, Geelong 09, Collingwood 10) would have beaten us.

Best 22 at the time:

Very ordinary side

I don’t think Buddy + Cyril could ever lose that title. That’s without even mentioning Mark Williams who was fantastic during ‘08.

Buddy and Cyril were the best Aboriginal forward line ever. Mickey O’Loughlin and Goodes scored a lot of goals between them as well and whilst not true forwards all the time they were Aboriginal powerhouses

I think we were unlucky not to make one Grand Final in those years, but if we had’ve made one, each of the teams we would have played in the GF those years (Hawthorn 08, Geelong 09, Collingwood 10) would have beaten us.
Some seriously good talented teams in the top 4 those years.

Top 5 since I've been watching footy, for mine -

1. St Kilda 2009-2010
2. Geelong 1989-1995
3. Fremantle 2013-2015
4. Sydney 2014-2016
5. Collingwood 2002-2004

IMO Collingwood 2002 - 2004 were a pretty average team who overachieved.

IMO Collingwood 2002 - 2004 were a pretty average team who overachieved.

Hence why they just scrape in. They still made 2 GF's against arguably the best Dynasty side this century, so they still deserve a spot, IMO.

Geelong 2008

North 1998

St Kilda 2009

Collingwood 2011

Richmond 2018

Hawthorn 2012

All pretty much the number one side in their respective years undone by one bad game and/or poor goalkicking at the wrong time (although Geelong 2011 were the standout equal best team that year along with Collingwood, and only team to beat Collingwood)

OP's question is talking more about footy sides, than individual seasons. All of those sides bar Saints 2009, won a flag the preceeding or following year - so don't really qualify based on the criteria.

Definitely agree though that those sides were all the best in their respective seasons though :)

Best 22 at the time:

Outside of Judd that midfield was massively overrated. Every other line was terrific but the blues needed an Oliver type extractor to support Judd. Gibbs and Murphy never really had the elite grunt needed to dominate and win a grand final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back