Draft Expert PMBangers 2023 Draft Thread

pushintheback

All Australian
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide

Hi PMBangers long time lurker, first time poster. Big fan here.

Where do you rank Levi Ashcroft in next year’s draft please?

Dan Levy Actors On Actors GIF by PBS SoCal
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

The Kaiser Chief

Debutant
Mar 24, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
PMBangers wasn’t there and I left early due to feeling a bit crook. Archie Roberts and Levi Ashcroft did really well in the yo-yo that’s just about the only notable thing that I saw in the morning.
they must have really stood out from the other 200 kids running up and down ........

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I would be gobsmacked, if a recruiter mentioned their pre-season yo yo run, at any stage in November, when discussing these players. But I may well be totally mistaken
Maybe not. But the work the players put in over the preseason, which can show in the yo-yo run might be mentioned.

So to how much a player has improved, or gone backwards, between the preseason testing and end of season testing.

Or a player is injured come end of season, so recruiters only have his preseason data to refer to.

Also recruiters my track the data over the two years a player is tested as a bottom ager and in to his draft year.

In the case of Levi Ashcroft, they can say, “his testing is good, but he spent the post Christmas period training with the Lions for a couple of weeks, so he should be ahead of a lot of the other bottom age kids.

I would be gobsmacked, if a recruiter mentioned their pre-season yo yo run, at any stage in November, when discussing these players. But I may well be totally mistaken
It impacts how much they watch players between now and then.
Rates of improvement also matter.to most recruiters. They'll definitely be looking closely

Maybe not. But the work the players put in over the preseason, which can show in the yo-yo run might be mentioned.

So to how much a player has improved, or gone backwards, between the preseason testing and end of season testing.

Or a player is injured come end of season, so recruiters only have his preseason data to refer to.

Also recruiters my track the data over the two years a player is tested as a bottom ager and in to his draft year.

In the case of Levi Ashcroft, they can say, “his testing is good, but he spent the post Christmas period training with the Lions for a couple of weeks, so he should be ahead of a lot of the other bottom age kids.
Exactly

pushintheback

All Australian
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pre-season testing is somewhat important about 5% but it’s the training and game gps data that AFL clubs value. If a player doesn’t test well it will have very little bearing on a club’s decision, however, as we saw with Jed Allan his combine testing was great so maybe this pushed him higher up the board. So maybe the testing is more important for the 50/50 selections. But for top draft picks there are plenty of examples where testing impacts 0-5%.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Sorry all I’ll refrain from ever posting about any sort of testing, I’ll stick to posting the super important stuff that Bigfooty is all about!
Heights and weights only please, nothing subjective

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Hello PMBangers, long time fan here

Who do you think Freo will take with our first pick of the draft? Likely to be around Pick 72?
My dear Bastyy,
I do really, truly, believe that this is my year, after all I did beat Liam Reidy in a ruck contest in U19s

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Will you be able to handle the RIGOROUS fish bowl of Western Australia?!
I've handled an apprenticeship up until this point, so I'm ready for anything

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Any word on Byron Pickett Jnr? Relocated to Melbourne, tried out for the Northern Knights but doesn’t look like he has made the squad with them.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Any word on Byron Pickett Jnr? Relocated to Melbourne, tried out for the Northern Knights but doesn’t look like he has made the squad with them.
That's the first time I've heard his name mentioned this year, so no.
Just give us a Harry Sheezel type Mk 2
Not to the same level in terms of smarts, but Darcy Wilson is a bit of similar type with his versatility and disposal

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How close is Curtin to challenging Reid for the number 1 spot?

Will be interested to see how the Hawks draft hand shifts throughout the season given McCabe looks to go in the late teens/early 20s and Ned Maginness and Calsher Dear look likely to push their case to get drafted.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
How close is Curtin to challenging Reid for the number 1 spot?

Will be interested to see how the Hawks draft hand shifts throughout the season given McCabe looks to go in the late teens/early 20s and Ned Maginness and Calsher Dear look likely to push their case to get drafted.
Harley is very clear for me, and I assume many others, at the moment. That's not trying to take away from Curtin, but Reid ticks pretty much every box for what you want in a modern footballer that'll play mid/fwd, Curtin has a lot of good traits as both a forward and defender but hasn't put it together to the same level as Harley.

Back