Draft Expert PMBangers 2023 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Working at Kinetic Stadium tonight PMBangers any names to keep an eye out for in the Rays/Dragons match up starved of big names?

Frangalas is the one I like, anyone else worth shouting out for?
From Dandenong I've liked what I've seen of bottom-aged defender Noah Mraz, and Cooper Hynes, also bottom-aged, is capable of doing some nice things as a big bodied midfielder/ half forward. For Sandringham Josh Docking is the most likely draft age talent off a wing, with Archer May an impressive contested mark at full forward and Luke Lloyd gaining some attention with his improvement each week

Any love for Charlie Naish lately? Apparently he's been best on the last couple of weeks

Any love for Charlie Naish lately? Apparently he's been best on the last couple of weeks
Naish has a bit to like about him, but I think his ceiling is a good state league level player given there's nothing that stands out in his game or athleticism

I thought that was one of his poorer games aswell, certainly a top 10 prospect but still plenty of other midfielders staking their claims like Smillie, Smith, O’Sullivan, Gross and Draper. We haven’t seen him in the champs yet but Murphy Reid from Sandringham aswell is another strong midfield prospect.
Agree
osullivan and Smilie ahead of Ashcroft from coates league

July Rankings explained xx
july.PNG
A rankings update? In this economy!

Top 15 is all pretty self explanatory for the names in there, amongst (respectable) amatuer watchers at the very least I don't think there's much variance in those names inside the top 15 at the moment. For mine, the top 4 have separated themselves from the following 10 or so, and at this stage I don't think there's much that could dislodge any of them, but of course others could push up in to make it a top 5/6/7/8/whatever. Harley is still number 1 for me as it stands, although I think it's valid for any of Walter, McKercher or Read to be there for people as well. The next lot is really tight, over the last two weeks I've probably had all possible combinations of the 5-11 group as my 'settled' rankings, all of them have some ridiculous positives and if you take an optimistic eye to the prospects, their best is worthy of being in the top 3. Wilson, Edwards, Croft and Freijah round out that settled top 15, none of them have really had anymore 'breakout' performances but have performed fairly consistently across state league/ champs games, with Friejah worthy of the special note that his repeated running efforts impressed me yesterday.

16-20 is more realistically a 16-30 at this stage, but I'm too stubborn to change from 20 to 30 so had to settle on 4. It's a group that isn't AS close as 5-11 in my eyes, but again that tier of prospects I can see the reasons for having in any order, with Luamon Lual, James Leake and Harry Demattia the 3 main guys that rotated in and out prior to settling on others.

Overall, as so often happens around the Champs, I'm more optimistic on the depth of this draft than I was a month ago and see some potential value pick ups into the third round, guys like Kade De La Rue, Lachie Charlson, Billy Wilson, Reece Torrent are a few I think are likely to last into the 40's that I'd be comfortable taking, but don't think the top end is as 'certain' as previous years. Anyway ask questions if you please xx

wow a lot going on in here today! Anyway here's the scouting notes for yesterdays Champs double header, with a player from each side I was surprised/ impressed with

#25 Logan Morris (Western Jets)
Tall Forward | 191cm | 90kg | 05/10/2005

Arguably best afield with 16 disposals, 11 marks, and four goals, Morris thrived in his more familiar forward role having previously been deployed in Metro’s defence. Morris is a one-touch marker, able to clunk clean grabs as a 191cm target who plays above his height. His leading patterns up the ground were sound, and he found a good groove when kicking over the mark to convert his chances. There were few players afield who owned their space like Morris, and his form may now pose a selection headache for Metro in the way of tall forwards.

#5 Koen Sanchez (East Fremantle)
Small Forward | 174cm | 70kg | 19/01/2005

The main threat inside WA’s forward 50 for majority of the Championships, Sanchez ended his series with 3.3, demonstrating some electric speed and forward craft throughout. Sanchez was dangerous both in the air and at ground level; leading to good spots and holding his marks, but also making his impact felt around forward 50 stoppages as he read the ball well off rucks’ hands and collected cleanly at ground level. He was typically clean with the footy when moving it to teammates, but did occasionally struggle when kicking for goal on the run.

#20 Finn O’Sullivan (Oakleigh Chargers)
Midfielder | 181cm | 70kg | 30/05/2006

Arguably the most crucial member in Country’s late fightback, O’Sullivan was influential in the second half of the contest as he was moved to a more inside role from the wing. The bottom-aged midfielder showed composure and courage beyond his years as he regularly flew for marks despite incoming contact, doing the same when competing for the ball at ground level. O’Sullivan constantly looked to take the game on as he played on quickly from marks and free kicks, or ran past to get a handball from a teammate in the same position, kicking smoothly to leading targets or switching to the other side of the ground. O’Sullivan also proved deadly inside 50, with a composed dribble goal on the boundary in the fourth quarter being among his highlights for the day.

#26 Will Graham (Suns Academy/Queensland)
Midfielder | 186cm | 79kg | 17/03/2005

Perhaps a player, no less a Suns Academy member, who has flown under the radar this year is Graham. Having been squeezed to defence with the Allies, he finally got an extended run through midfield with stints at the centre bounces and on the wing. He was competitive as ever with his hunt on the ball and proved strong through the hips when breaking tackles to get a disposal away. His running capacity was also solid and though there were some skewed kicks on the fly, Graham was more polished when going uncontested or off a stationary line. Clubs will have a look at him with the Suns likely being unable to retain a fourth academy product.

Enjoy the work PM great to see some new rankings.

Surprised that Curtin isn’t part of the top 5
Most of the chat I’ve seen on club boards regarding Curtin tends to have him going top 4.

Last edited:
View attachment 1734522

Top 15 is all pretty self explanatory for the names in there, amongst (respectable) amatuer watchers at the very least I don't think there's much variance in those names inside the top 15 at the moment. For mine, the top 4 have separated themselves from the following 10 or so, and at this stage I don't think there's much that could dislodge any of them, but of course others could push up in to make it a top 5/6/7/8/whatever. Harley is still number 1 for me as it stands, although I think it's valid for any of Walter, McKercher or Read to be there for people as well. The next lot is really tight, over the last two weeks I've probably had all possible combinations of the 5-11 group as my 'settled' rankings, all of them have some ridiculous positives and if you take an optimistic eye to the prospects, their best is worthy of being in the top 3. Wilson, Edwards, Croft and Freijah round out that settled top 15, none of them have really had anymore 'breakout' performances but have performed fairly consistently across state league/ champs games, with Friejah worthy of the special note that his repeated running efforts impressed me yesterday.

16-20 is more realistically a 16-30 at this stage, but I'm too stubborn to change from 20 to 30 so had to settle on 4. It's a group that isn't AS close as 5-11 in my eyes, but again that tier of prospects I can see the reasons for having in any order, with Luamon Lual, James Leake and Harry Demattia the 3 main guys that rotated in and out prior to settling on others.

Overall, as so often happens around the Champs, I'm more optimistic on the depth of this draft than I was a month ago and see some potential value pick ups into the third round, guys like Kade De La Rue, Lachie Charlson, Billy Wilson, Reece Torrent are a few I think are likely to last into the 40's that I'd be comfortable taking, but don't think the top end is as 'certain' as previous years. Anyway ask questions if you please xx
Love it PMbangers although you couldn’t fit my man Morris in your top 20 after his performance yesterday. Anyway, can’t fit them all in!

Archer Reid no longer a first round prospect?
His out put has improved in recent weeks, and it's promising to see his ruck craft making some positive strides, but there's not enough from this year to gibe you confidence he makes it at the top level. For his positives I'd absolutely use a 20-25 pick on him, but difficult to justify anything more substantial
Surprised that Curtin isn’t part of the top 5

Most of the chat I’ve seen on club boards regarding Curtin tends to have him going top 4.
That's fantastic for club boards!

I still rate him highly, and wouldn't be shocked if he was the second open pool prospect taken, I'm still not convinced by his athleticism, was hoping to see him as a permanent part of WA's D50 set up to get a better gauge of whether he's a genuine KPD or a tall flanker sort of player, although I do understand why he was played primarily as a midfielder. The battle against Walter was very good though, as well as the short stint on Reid v Country. Hopefully he gets a crack at League level for Claremont!
Love it PMbangers although you couldn’t fit my man Morris in your top 20 after his performance yesterday. Anyway, can’t fit them all in!
More performances like his game against WA would make it very difficult to not have him in there, seeing him work up the ground while still hitting the scoreboard heavily was really pleasing, not quite pushing top 20 yet for me but certainly within the top 40

View attachment 1734522

Does the fact Croft was dropped for last weekend's game have much bearing on where you think he'd be taken in the draft? Or is that just an expected rotation of players to give others an opportunity?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does the fact Croft was dropped for last weekend's game have much bearing on where you think he'd be taken in the draft? Or is that just an expected rotation of players to give others an opportunity?
Expected rotation I'd say, additionally Metros team selection has been incredibly confusing to the point recruiters don't even understand why some of the decisions being made have been made

Been very confusing but still doesn’t top Country with my man Sam Frangalas just plainly disrespected!
Country could do with another mid/fwd, don't quite have enough at the moment 🙄
Logan Morris and Will brown as well as Kynan brown all had good games against WA, where do they all sit?
Logan and Will are in the 25-40 bracket for me at the moment, Will did show some more promise than I've seen before yesterday so I was happy with that, still not convinced he won't end up a third tall at the next level. Kynan a little further back, has some nice traits but isn't particularly elite at anything, probably 50+-rookie draft range

His out put has improved in recent weeks, and it's promising to see his ruck craft making some positive strides, but there's not enough from this year to gibe you confidence he makes it at the top level. For his positives I'd absolutely use a 20-25 pick on him, but difficult to justify anything more substantial
Yes, Archer Reid is an interesting one.
There's a lot to like in attributes that he brings to the table and he occasionally brings it all together as a forward (such as his games against the Dragons and the Bushrangers) but they are few are far between. As a ruckmen there are obviously better options (Read and Edwards being the clear ones), so he's sort of stuck in no-mans land in the role department. He could definitely develop into a good forward/2nd ruckman, however, he just as easily could become a Kurt Tippett and never be elite, or even consistently good, at either role. If we thought we needed a forward (which we do) I would be okay with selecting him at pick 19, should he still be available. But he would be in competition with Jack Williams for that tall forward/second ruck role, and I doubt we could play both at any given time (with Bailey Williams/Barnett being our primary rucks in the future). Also I think that there would be better players available if we weren't set on selecting a key forward (for instance a Stevens, Hall or Freijah should we wish to select a 2nd midfielder).

Very happy if i was a club and got sanchez second round, his game will transfer to the top level.
Impressive player Logan Morris has a very penetrating kick gets there quick as well as good hands above the head takes it at full stretch.
Hope WA ruckman slips too geelong as well.

trade barrass, get pick 4-5 and around 12-15 and keep #1
take the draft.
Reid, Curtin, Caddy/Edwards
Hall if still there 18-20.
I'd like to keep Barrass, but if we are trading him we've got to be realistic we'd be lucky to get pick 4 from Sydney, let alone an additional pick in the low teens. TBH Barrass for pick 4 is still a good trade for us, all things considered.

Hello! Where have you got McCabe? Not asking for a friend.
16-30 group at the moment
What would you do in this draft if you were West Coast’s list manager?
Retire

It'd depend on what's being offered really, given the quality of McKercher and Reid I'd be happy enough taking Pick 2 + an early second rounder + a decent best 22 player for Pick 1, the way I see it at the moment is Reid and McKercher are close enough you're not losing too much by giving up the right to take your pick, so if you can get an extra Pick + some experience as a stop gap then you've done pretty well.

If it were a Pick 3-5 I'd want a little more, two firsts would be the starting point but could be work into a first, an early second and a good young player, but unless that player was already somewhat established I'd be hesitant trading Pick 1.

I think the most likely outcome I'd they keep 1 and take McKercher or Reid outright, no clubs have appealing enough assets to make it worthwhile

Remove this Banner Ad

Back