Draft Expert PMBangers 2023 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Think the issue is that they have traded out early picks for a while to bring in some guys to stay at the top. Hard to recruit well with low picks, so end up cutting all the blokes you picked up in the 40's and 50's
Not like they've had top 10 picks to use though.

Regardless, bit of a gap to fill

if they think they aren't up to it, no point keeping them.

Could this be the oft predicted yet to be seen, Geelong off a cliff moment.

Lot coming out this year, but not really super top end, the worry will be the performance drop in some of the remaining older guys.

Might be worth Geelong trading out next years first for the Gold coast pick 4. At least start to bring in some top end talent for the future.

I digress, sorry Bangers

This is Geelong, they could probably get Gold Coast's pick 4 for a future third

We have mids that aren't getting games already we also have midfielders next season what are you're thoughts on Lane do you see him being our future ruck ?
My main thought about rucks, is that they are usually easy to acquire during the trade period, and fairly cheap trade wise.

My main thought about the Lions reserves, is that we regularly rotated 4 players through the ruck, which isn’t ideal for the young rucks.

As for mids, Lyons is/has fallen off a cliff, Mathieson isn’t going to be AFL quality, and Dev is off to West Coast.

That leaves us Tunstill.

Yeah we have mids coming through our academy, but they’re 12 to 24 months away from being drafted.

Last edited:

My main thought about rucks, is that they are usually easy to acquire during the trade period, and fairly cheap trade wise.

My main thought about the Lions reserves, is that we regularly rotated 4 players through the ruck, which isn’t ideal for the young rucks.

As for mids, Lyons is/has fallen off a cliff, Mathieson isn’t going to be AFL quality, and Dev is off to West Coast.

That leaves us Tunstill.

Yeah we have mids coming through our academy, but they’re 12 to 24 months away from being drafted.
Ashcroft going down has shown we are a quality mid or 2 down IMO, we could not afford another one of our quality mids to go down during finals ie. Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage.

Although all clubs would probably struggle if 2 of their top 4-5 mids went down at the same time. However I do think McCluggage and Berry have lifted since Ashcroft went down.

August/ Sept rankings xx
aug.PNG
I put this together a week or two ago and forgot to post it, but updated rankings heading into the finals series for most comps, additional notes below;

• From what I was seeing as a top 4 in my eyes in early to July to what is now a top 8, although I understand I'm a lot higher on Ethan Read than most others in the public domain, I do still remain firmly of the opinion that Harley is the clear #1, but any of the next 7 could go in any order and it wouldn't be a surprise. Sanders and Caddy are the two outside of that I think may go before some of my Top 8, but I can't really see anyone else threatening that as it stands.
  • Speed and Endurance is a pretty common theme here, it's the way I think the game is trending more and more towards so I've put some bias towards that here, although I don't think anyone in this group is an eyebrow raiser regardless.
  • I am once again stressing how good the ruck stocks in this draft are, naturally I don't think any are going to be playing significant ruck time early on in their careers, but I do see #1 ruck mantles for all 4 in my top 30 within 4-5 years.
  • I'm pretty confident with this as a 30, naturally there were a couple I was umm'ing and ahhh'ing about, but I think Arie Schoenmaker was really the only other name that I'd chuck in here and be happy with. Could've done a top 31 but that's just not as pleasing

View attachment 1794707
I put this together a week or two ago and forgot to post it, but updated rankings heading into the finals series for most comps, additional notes below;

• From what I was seeing as a top 4 in my eyes in early to July to what is now a top 8, although I understand I'm a lot higher on Ethan Read than most others in the public domain, I do still remain firmly of the opinion that Harley is the clear #1, but any of the next 7 could go in any order and it wouldn't be a surprise. Sanders and Caddy are the two outside of that I think may go before some of my Top 8, but I can't really see anyone else threatening that as it stands.
  • Speed and Endurance is a pretty common theme here, it's the way I think the game is trending more and more towards so I've put some bias towards that here, although I don't think anyone in this group is an eyebrow raiser regardless.
  • I am once again stressing how good the ruck stocks in this draft are, naturally I don't think any are going to be playing significant ruck time early on in their careers, but I do see #1 ruck mantles for all 4 in my top 30 within 4-5 years.
  • I'm pretty confident with this as a 30, naturally there were a couple I was umm'ing and ahhh'ing about, but I think Arie Schoenmaker was really the only other name that I'd chuck in here and be happy with. Could've done a top 31 but that's just not as pleasing
I understand with pick swaps it's not going to line up exactly, but West Coast getting Reid and Freijah would be absolutely huge!

Like getting a Judd and Embley in a single draft.

Plus both being Vic Country will help with any go home factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ruckman can be ranked higher in power rankings due to their potential and yet fall down the draft order as most are real project players.

Are there any teams desperately needing Rucks that could selected them much higher. I know everyone on the Adelaide board is hoping to select a ruck at some stage as our ruck stocks are poor.

Ruckman can be ranked higher in power rankings due to their potential and yet fall down the draft order as most are real project players.

Are there any teams desperately needing Rucks that could selected them much higher. I know everyone on the Adelaide board is hoping to select a ruck at some stage as our ruck stocks are poor.
Unfortunately the big guys do tend to slide given they take longer to develop. Most clubs that desperately need one are going to trade rather than use a high Pick on, so I still expect Edwards, Green and Goad to be picked a far bit back from where I have them ranked.
Why has Will Brown dropped down the board so far?
He's just honestly not a top 30 talent, I probably wouldn't use a ND Pick on him if I were at a club

Unfortunately the big guys do tend to slide given they take longer to develop. Most clubs that desperately need one are going to trade rather than use a high Pick on, so I still expect Edwards, Green and Goad to be picked a far bit back from where I have them ranked.

He's just honestly not a top 30 talent, I probably wouldn't use a ND Pick on him if I were at a club
I think we're gonna have to probably only use ND picks with our rookie situation, so not even pick 45-ish?

I think we're gonna have to probably only use ND picks with our rookie situation, so not even pick 45-ish?
I just think there's a lot of better options even at that point of the draft, even specifically for 'Big Inside Mid' I'd be going with Kane McAuliffe who I anticipate will be there

Hiya PMBangers

Knowing north are very keen on Curtin, and the WCE likely keeping 1 for Reid, what position do you think best suits Curtin?

Also, I’m keen to get your general impressions on him and Mckercher, seem they are going to be our likely picks if the McKay compo comes through.

View attachment 1794707

Do you see Darcy Wilson being a potential late riser? Great runner, good shot at goal, decent size, good consistent output. Looks a really solid pick. Hoping he’s there for Essendon.

Hiya PMBangers

Knowing north are very keen on Curtin, and the WCE likely keeping 1 for Reid, what position do you think best suits Curtin?

Also, I’m keen to get your general impressions on him and Mckercher, seem they are going to be our likely picks if the McKay compo comes through.
I think playing as a 3rd tall in the backline is probably going to be where Curtin finds his feet best, and will likely be one of the main distributors out of the defensive half given his kicking ability. In general I think he's a superb prospect, there's really not much he doesn't do to a high level when given a defined role.

McKercher is a high level accumulator with a damaging kick and good defensive work rate around the ground. He doesn't test super well athletically but seems to have the footy knowledge to use what he does have to his advantage and hurt opposition around stoppages and with his run and carry around the ground, likely starts his career as a winger but shouldn't have any issue moving into centre bounces when he bulks up a bit.
Do you see Darcy Wilson being a potential late riser? Great runner, good shot at goal, decent size, good consistent output. Looks a really solid pick. Hoping he’s there for Essendon.
Potentially, as I've said that speed and endurance mix is going to be increasingly important at the next level and there's none better for that in the draft class. Obviously it's hard to gauge where recruiters have him ranked, but personally the lack of footy for the rest of the year makes it unlikely he moves up into the next bracket.

I think playing as a 3rd tall in the backline is probably going to be where Curtin finds his feet best, and will likely be one of the main distributors out of the defensive half given his kicking ability. In general I think he's a superb prospect, there's really not much he doesn't do to a high level when given a defined role.

McKercher is a high level accumulator with a damaging kick and good defensive work rate around the ground. He doesn't test super well athletically but seems to have the footy knowledge to use what he does have to his advantage and hurt opposition around stoppages and with his run and carry around the ground, likely starts his career as a winger but shouldn't have any issue moving into centre bounces when he bulks up a bit.

Potentially, as I've said that speed and endurance mix is going to be increasingly important at the next level and there's none better for that in the draft class. Obviously it's hard to gauge where recruiters have him ranked, but personally the lack of footy for the rest of the year makes it unlikely he moves up into the next bracket.
Thanks mate.

Watching Curtin yesterday, he just seems such a lovely distributor and isn’t afraid of changing up the angles.

Given the inside mid backlog at north, Mckercher would be likely stuck on a wing for a while.

View attachment 1794707

Where does Will Lorenz sit in your rankings?

Saints Needs

1. Nuggety, speedy small back-pocket
2. Burst midfielder-good skills by foot added to P.Dow
3. 2 X small mid-forwards
4. Outside midfielder= Caleb Windsor added to L.Henry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back