Review Round 3, 2023: Geelong Cats v Box Hill Hawks, 10 April 2023, 11.45am @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

That was an enjoyable game. We outworked Geelong in the wet and completely shut down their run. Stats probably don't reflect the performances of some players. Shout out to Ed Phillips who was the best mid out there, and Thorpe who kicked 4.

DGB played a good game. He had to play deepest when Blanck went off (not sure why) and killed most of the high balls in his direction. His kicking in transition was superb. The next step is getting more involved.

Lynch was BOG. Slaughtered his poor VFL opponent and provided a physical presence in contests and around the ground.

Butler had an absolute purple patch where he kicked 3 goals and set up another 3. His crumbing work is great, and good things happen when he's involved.

JOS and Bennetts could turn out to be gems. Some refinement is needed but they're both great in traffic, constantly pressure and have zip.

Morris was great defensively although rusty with his kicking. BMac is a scary prospect when he builds his tank/frame. I very much doubt they had 0 tackles between them like the stats suggest, they were constantly hounding their opponents.

Special shout out to Seamus took some great defensive marks and started attacking chains. He had one moment where he stopped the slippery ball by taking contact, got back up and tackled the Geelong player in possession, then got back up again and winded Jhye Clark with a bump.

Biggest surprise of the day was O'Hara. Had 5-6 fantastic moments whether it was a rundown tackle, taking a mark going back, or winning a contest.

Bramble was our highest possession winner and especially lively in the second half. He's good at this level but not as good defensively as the other three. Stats don't reflect that.

Stephens/Long were both physical presences and set the tone early. The former needs to win more of the ball, and the latter needs to demand it more. Long got burnt a few times despite fantastic runs to support and is probably next in line.

Koschitzke is lacking so much confidence. He tries hard to impact the contest but fumbles, doesn't take marks and doesn't back himself to take shots.

Ramsden made a lot of mistakes but for a second year beanpole he's incredibly exiting. Good in the air, very mobile, does some exceptional things. Kicked 2 and robbed of two forward 50 marks by the umpires.

Hustwaite started really well with good hands in traffic but went off halfway through the first quarter. Hopefully he's alright.

Last edited:
Long will be our new Brad Sewell, will be tough to get spots in the middle soon
My fear is how many Sewell’s or Shiel can you have in the starting line up? Those 2 were elite at what they did without the ball. I believe that Maginess,Nash and long will be fighting for the 1 position.

Last edited:
Only saw bits and pieces of it but a lot to like… Geelong 2’s were poor but we were hungry…
Bramble and Long lots of the pill.
Lynch very good- should be heavily considered for a recall- we haven’t been getting a lot from Reeves and Meek outside the ruck contests
DGB real solid- would like to see them use him coming out of defence more…
Seamus finally looking fit and showing what he can do
O’Sullivan and Bennetts looking lively
Butler with 4 snags very encouraging- will be pushing for more senior opportunities…
Ramsden showings flashes, good and bad moments but importantly hitting the scoreboard
Even Fionn showing us what he can do..
Plenty of young talent at the club…
Only concern is Kosi seemingly bereft of all confidence- perhaps time to be used as a key defender?

Long only having 22 was a little surprising to me tbh, he seemed to have a far bigger impact than that many possessions would typically associate with

Some of the stats are weird. It says BMac and Morris didn't have a tackle between them but they were constantly chasing and I swear they brought their opponents down on multiple occasions. Long with only 22 touches is another.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seamus looks ready to me.

Stephens got some wheels. Cam McK might need a rest.

Ramma very promising love he finds the front position pretty much every time. He's a fair way off it ruck wise def a fwd in the making. He's not physically ready for the top level yet as will get monstered but no doubt we give him a taste when Mitch Lewis is back so he doesn't have the no.1.KPD

Ohara love how he is an absolute nugget. Really hope we can develop him as a strong body that can't be moved off the ball up back.

Enjoyable watch after the main game. Ned Long is Worpels replacement to me - main 2 things he offers more than worps is some ability forward and he kicks within his limitations. DGB great and kicking underrated time to come back in. Butler good although didn’t to my eye seem to get involved much outside the scores. Seamus looks good he needs some opportunities to see what we have before years end. Hawks draftees all coming along nicely, Lynch and Rama good keeping pressure on and with the rucks having another less than stellar day (thought Meek was better today though) they both might see action soon. Bit of a man crush on Jaylon Thorpe don’t think we should take him but glad to get to watch him for Box Hill. Kozi looks cooked good effort but definitely not a forward it’s time to go back as last chance saloon. Tank good return expect he’s back in the 1s soon and liking O’Sullivan and Bennetts creativity across half forward. Fionn looked good definitely needs 2 more years to see what he can become.

Lynch can't be denied again if Meek and Reeves have another poor game.

Good to see DGB and Butler play so well.

Kosi and Stephens were disappointing.
Stephens was good early from what I saw . Very clean at the coal face and looks a more physical presence.

He will need to get more ball but would say it wont be long until he is pressing for seniors.

Only watched the first three Q's

I would be picking

Butler, DGB, Mitchell (Debut) and perhaps Lynch if a ruckman goes out.

Kosi looks proper cooked now. Confidence is shot.

Should we expect more rotations to help prolong bodies? Next bye box hill v hawthorn would be fun to watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back