Preview 2023 Round 5 Carlton vs Adelaide Thursday April 13 7:40PM AEST @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

Welcome back Walshy
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

IN: Blake Acres, Matthew Kennedy, Sam Walsh
OUT: Sam Docherty (knee), Jack Carroll, Josh Honey, Lochie O'Brien

Backs:Lewis YoungJacob WeiteringAdam Saad
Half-backs:Nic NewmanMitch McGovernLachie Cowan
Centreline:Adam CerraPatrick CrippsOllie Hollands
Half-forwards:Zac FisherHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Ed CurnowCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Tom De KoningGeorge HewettSam Walsh
Interchange:Blake AcresCorey DurdinMatthew Kennedy
Marc Pittonet
Emergencies:Jack CarrollJosh HoneyLochie O'Brien
Lachie Plowman

Last edited:
last time we played them in Adelaide we omitted jsos. i doubt it will happen this time but i do wonder if they'll be tempted to repeat it and somehow jsos comes out. I need to know because I picked jsos to kick a goal in our goal kicking comp...(really important stuff).

I hope we learned our lesson. He came on early ish and was one of our few decent players.

last time we played them in Adelaide we omitted jsos. i doubt it will happen this time but i do wonder if they'll be tempted to repeat it and somehow jsos comes out. I need to know because I picked jsos to kick a goal in our goal kicking comp...(really important stuff).
Very important!
Was that the game JSOS was made sub and the world almost ended?

I hope we learned our lesson. He came on early ish and was one of our few decent players.

I've said this many times, and the stat sheet might not show it but JSOS is a very important player for us. We're a much better side with him in it

I was lucky enough to go to the Captain's run with my kids and another family. The players spent plenty of time having their photos taken with the fans and afterward, I was again lucky enough to sit in the Carlton coaching group's session at Unley Oval and learnt a fair bit about what goes on behind the scenes, if only a glimpse.

The preparation they've done on the Adelaide stoppage set up is impressive, however I must admit, I've not watched more than 5 minutes of their games this year.

I'm continually impressed by Ash Hansen and last night's session did nothing to diminish that thought. IMO he's a league coach in waiting.

I'm hoping & preying that we rock up tonight. BTW, Charlie missed nearly every goal last night, so here's hoping he's got them out of his system too!

Go Blues!

Is the integrity of team selection sound at the moment? Fellow supporters who know way more than me (watch the 2s and may have some inside knowledge), I’m interested to know, how do Carroll, O’Brien and Honey get named as emergencies ahead of Dow? They don’t look to have set the world on fire.

Dow’s stats in the 2s look very good again this season. I’ve heard the knock on him is his 2 way running, and if this is true, is this still what’s keeping him out? I love Hewett, but his last 2 games have been average, as I’m assuming his hand injury is hampering him somewhat. Cripps has really shouldered the load, with close to 20 contested possessions and 10 plus clearances the last few games. Dow’s biggest strength seems to be his clearance work and power out of stoppages. It would appear his papers have already been stamped by Voss?

Also Kemp has been killing it stat wise in the 2s, yet Plowman is listed as an emergency and not him?

I have watched every 1s and 2s game this year.

I don't think emergencies have much to do with integrity of selection. Even sub isn't the next player into the 22 but rather a certain type. I wouldn't read to much into that.

Regarding Dow though his papers do appear stamped. He has been great in the VFL but simply his biggest attribute is something we have plenty of and he doesnt offer much else. I wouldnt say his defensive stuff has been particularly bad. He is just one dimensional. Hewett has had 2 quiet games but is coming back from injury and is a much better player.

It's hard to know the Kemp vs Plowman pecking order until we pick one. I prefer Kemp based on upside but objectively Plowman has been just as good in the VFL so it wouldn't be ridiculous if the coaching panel still rated him higher.

Is the integrity of team selection sound at the moment? Fellow supporters who know way more than me (watch the 2s and may have some inside knowledge), I’m interested to know, how do Carroll, O’Brien and Honey get named as emergencies ahead of Dow? They don’t look to have set the world on fire.

Dow’s stats in the 2s look very good again this season. I’ve heard the knock on him is his 2 way running, and if this is true, is this still what’s keeping him out? I love Hewett, but his last 2 games have been average, as I’m assuming his hand injury is hampering him somewhat. Cripps has really shouldered the load, with close to 20 contested possessions and 10 plus clearances the last few games. Dow’s biggest strength seems to be his clearance work and power out of stoppages. It would appear his papers have already been stamped by Voss?

Also Kemp has been killing it stat wise in the 2s, yet Plowman is listed as an emergency and not him?
The MC no doubt look deeper than stats. Off ball work, running patterns, defensive work/team defence, field positioning and so on.
Regarding Plow over Kemp, yes Kemp has showed good signs, but so has Plow, and Cincotta for that matter. Seems to be that when looking at the full picture, and after the multiple hours of scenario planning that goes into each game, that Plow is the preferred next soldier up at this point.

Haven’t seen so many blank eyed zombies in Rundle Mall since the last state election.

I’m such a bitch.😎👍
Partner got back and said she agreed with you. She asked me if it was always like that, I told her what you said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. I think so, given we are replacing specific roles in the team rather than putting in the best performing VFL player from the week prior.

2. Yes, among other things (eg. lack of AFL level physicality, poor disposal by foot, poor performance when called upon last year etc.)

3. Yes, it appears that way. Sad for it to go like this, but that's footy sometimes.

4. I think we're looking to give Kempy an uninterrupted run of games in a single role before putting him in the first team. He's been thrown around too much in crucial development years. I think the coaches have finally decided on his best position (the McGovern role) and want to see what he can do. Makes more sense to name Plow as emergency given he has likely reached the apex of his development and can cover for more players than Kemp would if there were a late out in our backline.

Maybe along lines of north game...maybe dont want to play them on their terms...north game was thought out by Voss
they were hot early,CFC worked thru their fuel [norths]tickets once they had cooled,however CFC also cooled themselves only north get a second wind...

will also be a game of tactics.....they got better forwards than north,maybe thats all

Ed can tag as he did with north....Crows might want to come out and attack....got to defend,absorb,figure them out quick,shut them down,let them squander energy.,.....evenually efficiently outworking them.....

looking forward to the game.....and dont know really how it might play out.....i dont think they can wipe CFC off the park tho at any stage

Voss will back his "system" in (said it enough times publicly). Players would have looked at vision of their matchups and will be expected to play their role.

Voss doesn't seem to worry too much about opposition individuals (at least publicly) expecting whoever is on who to do their job. While there will be easy ball coast to coast and we will get to see their vaunted pace (and the commentators will cream themselves) he will expect supply to be limited, ie win the contest more than them and give the forwards a good look.

Work harder than the opposition both ways and get the points.

While winning pretty is nice and relaxing for us supporters i'll take points whichever way we can. Just because we aren't smashing teams by 60 doesn't mean we're not worthy, particularly at this stage of the season.

The MC no doubt look deeper than stats. Off ball work, running patterns, defensive work/team defence, field positioning and so on.
Regarding Plow over Kemp, yes Kemp has showed good signs, but so has Plow, and Cincotta for that matter. Seems to be that when looking at the full picture, and after the multiple hours of scenario planning that goes into each game, that Plow is the preferred next soldier up at this point.

Another consideration might be how they feel certain players would react to a late call-up. Plow has been there, done that at AFL level, he's a mature body and arguably at the peak of his game/fitness. Give him half an hour's notice to play and you're probably gonna get the same thing as if you'd told him he was playing a week in advance.

Kemp has played half a dozen senior games, and has been shuffled around the field a bit in the ressies. Don't know the kid personally, so could be off the mark, but it wouldn't surprise me if a last minute call-up could rattle him a bit. Or if not rattle, at least have him a bit nervy and below his best. Might just be a case of developing him in the reserves until they feel he's ready to step up properly, and then elevate him for a full game with a week's notice so he can prepare himself mentally for the game.

God we are hated

Even the champion data guy doesn’t like us

Second in scoring per inside 50 and second in stopping scores per inside 50, but not convinced cause we can’t score from stoppages even tho we have multiple outs in there already this year.

Feels good to be hated bring it on. Us against the world

heck him

I was a mad Sturt fan as a kid, grew up just around the corner from Unley Oval and would watch them train most nights through the 70s and 80s. Now my daughter lives across the road and I was planning to take my grandson over in a pram to indoctrinate him in all things Carlton and Sturt but the poor kid has covid. Gotta get in early, the other grandparents are Crows supporters.
edit
Greg Bentley is another ex Sturt (and Power) player to have worn the Navy Blue
I'm a Carlton fan because of Sturt. Dad was a Sturt fan and as extension of the double Blues went for Carlton in the VFL - the rest went for Glenelg. Once the AFL started he kept the Blues thing going instead of Adelaide, was the only one in the family to not go for Crows, and now only he and I. It was quite a fun time when Gibbs didn't qualify for F/S as he didn't play enough for Glenelg. A bunch of Glenelg and Adelaide fans angry at a Gibbs not playing for them

Many years ago, I drove to Adelaide to watch a game against Port Power, and parked outside Football Park. On my return, the car's duco and headlights were not in the same condition as I had left it. Careful where you leave your car in the City of Churches if you have Victorian number plates and/or Carlton stickers on the windows.

I know pr--ks!

Godd advice, the mindless morons got my lovely 240k with a coin outside that sh-t hole footy park many years ago.

Still haven't got over it .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back