Review Round 17, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. West Coast

Who were your five best players against West Coast?

• [1] Kai Lohmann (sub)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [2] Dev Robertson

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • [3] Joe Daniher

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • [6] Hugh McCluggage

Votes: 72 61.5%
  • [8] Will Ashcroft

Votes: 111 94.9%
  • [9] Lachie Neale

Votes: 83 70.9%
  • [14] James Madden

• [15] Dayne Zorko

• [16] Cam Rayner

Votes: 46 39.3%
  • [17] Jarryd Lyons

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • [18] Keidean Coleman

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • [19] Jack Gunston

Votes: 109 93.2%
  • [23] Charlie Cameron

• [26] Conor McKenna

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • [28] Jaspa Fletcher

• [30] Eric Hipeood

• [31] Harris Andrews

Votes: 89 76.1%
  • [33] Zac Bailey

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • [35] Ryan Lester

• [37] Brandon Starcevich

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • [40] Jack Payne

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • [44] Darcy Wilmot

Votes: 11 9.4%
  • [48] Oscar McInerney

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This one stunk too.

Still makes me me angry that the only time I can remember umps consistently calling holds off the ball was against us v melbourne in 2021. Of course, we did the dumb thing and stopped holding and gave up a 20 point lead in the second half.

The one that got me going was Oscar's mark right in front of the ump.

It was a completed clean grab.

I really don't like attending early afternoon Gabba games. I will make an exception for the GF.
Glad we only got one this year although the Saints game is TBC.
We won by 81 the same margin as against the Tigers.
Now only 3.9% behind the Pies.

I think we tried to keep to our usual structures and not go ball and goal hunting.
That should help going into the Demons game next Friday being our biggest test since round 4 v Pies.
Hopefully the Saints give them a tough game later tonight.
Zorko subbed out and looked okay so no obvious injuries. Hopefully the MRO don't pick up anything from the game.

At work today, so missed the game.

Are we dropping all the old men for next weeks game, Gunston, Lyons & Zorko?
I think all 3 will stay in. Lyons might go if Dunkley gets up or else all 3 are likely to play against Melbourne.

At work today, so missed the game.

Are we dropping all the old men for next weeks game, Gunston, Lyons & Zorko?
1- I would be keeping Zorko as he will be better for the run today.
2- I would be dropping Gunston for Ah Chee but that wont happen because he kicked 6 today, he didn't look any better to me defensively though and IMO he will get caught out in that area against the Demons and Cats over the next 2 weeks.
3- Lyons definitely goes out if Dunkley gets up, if not he probably stays in but I would still omit him and play Dev more inside and bring in Tunstill/Sharp for their run.

2- I would be dropping Gunston for Ah Chee but that wont happen because he kicked 6 today, he didn't look any better to me defensively though and IMO he will get caught out in that area against the Demons and Cats over the next 2 weeks.
3- Lyons definitely goes out if Dunkley gets up, if not he probably stays in but I would still omit him and play Dev more inside and bring in Tunstill/Sharp for their run.
Credit to Gunston for 6 goals, he proved the training block did pay dividends for him. What better way to test his readiness than wheel him in front of Demons at MCG. We have to back him in now.

Ah Chee needs to be pushing for a wing role.

I think it is going to be a big fortnight for Jasper. I think Jasper is going to be a great player but competition for spots is fierce.

One swallow doesn’t a summer make. Let’s have a serious sit down conversation about Jack Gunston after we have played Melbourne and Geelong. He was good today. Got a couple of cheapies, but he finished well. We played the bottom team at home, so as people who were critical of his selection said during the week, this game was not going to produce a good form line. After the Melbourne and Geelong games and if he’s still about, the Collingwood game in Melbourne, we will be in a better position to judge if we really want to take Gunston into the finals.

The most important thing to me was that he just looked FIT today. Quality of opposition be damned, because he played pretty terribly against other lower ranked teams earlier in the year as well - because he wasn’t fit. He played well today and part of it was probably the quality of defence, sure, but above all else he looked a) fit and b) hungry. He doesn’t need to kick 6 every week, but as long as he makes a contest.

Credit to Gunston for 6 goals, he proved the training block did pay dividends for him. What better way to test his readiness than wheel him in front of Demons at MCG. We have to back him in now.
He was good, I had him in my Fab5 but a caveat is it was against one of the worst AFL sides in living memory. Hopefully giving him a "test" against the Demons doesn't cost us too dearly defensively.

I did say before the game that he was likely to kick a few goals and look pretty good against the Eagles.

Lohmann just doesn't seem up to speed at the moment . Nor Madden.

I'd love to get Cal in there somewhere and that all depends on how we structure up
Lohmann worked his ring off in the little game time he was given today & was certainly up to speed. Constant work up and down the ground, applied pressure & presented. Perhaps watch the last 10 minutes again.

Hopefully that is a benchmark of effort for himself going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't like attending early afternoon Gabba games. I will make an exception for the GF.
Glad we only got one this year although the Saints game is TBC.
We won by 81 the same margin as against the Tigers.
Now only 3.9% behind the Pies.

I think we tried to keep to our usual structures and not go ball and goal hunting.
That should help going into the Demons game next Friday being our biggest test since round 4 v Pies.
Hopefully the Saints give them a tough game later tonight.
Zorko subbed out and looked okay so no obvious injuries. Hopefully the MRO don't pick up anything from the game.

We had Freo at 1:45 pm Saturday here as well. The great thing is that today had 24800 in attendance and the Freo game had 25500. Great crowds compared to 6-7 years ago which would have had 12k.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Lohmann worked his ring off in the little game time he was given today & was certainly up to speed. Constant work up and down the ground, applied pressure & presented. Perhaps watch the last 10 minutes again.

Been evident over the past month or so that Kai is playing a much more blue collar game and not just jumping on heads or trying to snap miracle goals.

I feel like having young players as the sun is detrimental compared to veteran players.
Oftentimes I feel like younger guys need to work themselves into the game and so coming in for a quarter means they basically are not as effective as they would have been for a whole game. On the flip side I feel like veteran players are able to make a more immediate impact. I feel like Lyons has been good when coming on as sub whereas anytime a younger player comes on it’s not much.

On the umpires, at the game I thought I saw the West Coast ruck take the ball out of the ruck and then get tackled without a free kick being awarded.

Is that still a rule?

You mean the guy that's not considered best 22 by the coaches? Yeah wild to think he's not in our best team
I never said was best 22 , I said he did his job when called upon, you took the cheap shot because you hate him. If you want to talk about what coaches think go listen to press conference. Move on bud you're all over the shop.

Got to laugh at some on here never fails , comparing what other sides beat Eagles by is one of the the dumbest/ funniest things I've read for a while, All because I assume swans won by 171 pts, yet the teams around us all won by less. It's meaningless , Get a grip and enjoy back to back 81 pt wins

On the umpires, at the game I thought I saw the West Coast ruck take the ball out of the ruck and then get tackled without a free kick being awarded.

Is that still a rule?
Rucks can't get pinged for holding the ball when they take the ball in the ruck contest.
However, they must dispose the ball correctly.
Has been a rule for a while now.

Best defensive set up he's seen this year Apparently.
The weapons we have out of the back half with McKenna and Wilmot steaming out is up there.

Likewise Harris is a lot happier playing his role knowing there are fast and skilled team mates who are capable of mopping up.

Payne's been carrying something the last couple of outings but he's still doing the job , lots of room for improvement.

Starc no longer has the weight of the world on his shoulders and can confidently move further up the ground.

Simpson's right. The issue now is to keep it up.

Best defensive set up he's seen this year Apparently.

I thought our defence was watertight.

Harris and Jack Payne complement each other beautifully. Wilmott is a gun and Frog is in career best form not to mention that Starc is a lock every week

Then their is Kiddy, who together with Wilmott, provides flare and imagination with their run and exquisite skills.Similarly, it's hard to fault the way McKenna is playing

Rich and Gardiner have been wonderful players for us but the current back six/seven have been doing a bang up job and none of them deserve to go out of the side.

Back