Is it time for Michael Christian to go

Remove this Banner Ad

giphy.gif

You would think that by having a single person running the MRP that we would get some consistency, but Christian seems to ignore prior precedents set by himself and the tribunal when making decisions. IMO this is the single biggest flaw in the whole system right now.

The MRP guidelines are so open for interpretation that precent must be a primary consideration in assessing every incident. It needs to be written into the guidelines so the MRP must consider past cases in the assessment of any new incident.

Precent is what clubs/media/fans used to assess the severity of an offence, and the inconsistency of new findings compared to prior precedent is what is most frustrating and confusing.

Until Michael Christian gets this right I'd expect the tribunal to be in session every single week, with clubs rolling up citing numerous prior examples of identical incidents that were all graded differently.

My post from 2 years ago was talking about how Gerard Whateley defends Geelong players, a la Ablett's consecutive elbows to people's head that he somehow got off scot free.
He has no credibility left it at ABC
Ever since he jumped on a soap box yelling the cats need to make a stance holding tk ( wife had 4 young kids one not well needed the support of her family)
Next minute hill wanted to break contract to fill his pockets at saints and he was on his box yelling at the dockers “ you can’t keep a player who doesn’t want to be there”
Looks like a weasel sounds like a weasel ……..

You would think that by having a single person running the MRP that we would get some consistency, but Christian seems to ignore prior precedents set by himself and the tribunal when making decisions. IMO this is the single biggest flaw in the whole system right now.

The MRP guidelines are so open for interpretation that precent must be a primary consideration in assessing every incident. It needs to be written into the guidelines so the MRP must consider past cases in the assessment of any new incident.

Precent is what clubs/media/fans used to assess the severity of an offence, and the inconsistency of new findings compared to prior precedent is what is most frustrating and confusing.

Until Michael Christian gets this right I'd expect the tribunal to be in session every single week, with clubs rolling up citing numerous prior examples of identical incidents that were all graded differently.

Not just that, but the speed that he reports cases. It seemed the match had barely finished on Saturday before we were told Lynch was cited. You'd have to wonder how often he watches these incidents and how closely. Took me about 2-3 views each to decide that McKay and Lynch did nothing wrong. Seemingly he was able to reach the opposite conclusion - followed by the mandatory hysteria from opposition fans - before the tribunal actually (and amazingly) took their time and viewed the incidents impartially.

Not just that, but the speed that he reports cases. It seemed the match had barely finished on Saturday before we were told Lynch was cited. You'd have to wonder how often he watches these incidents and how closely. Took me about 2-3 views each to decide that McKay and Lynch did nothing wrong. Seemingly he was able to reach the opposite conclusion - followed by the mandatory hysteria from opposition fans - before the tribunal actually (and amazingly) took their time and viewed the incidents impartially.

I am of the view that the the direction given to Christian by the AFL is to assess each incident using MRP guidelines and nothing else, and let the tribunal sort out all the cases where the application of the guidelines leads to an incorrect outcome. If he has to do is pull out the table and circle three boxes I can see why its takes 5 mins per incident to reach an outcome.

There's clearly zero depth of thought in what Christian is being asked to do, leaving the tribunal to sort out cases that don't perfectly march the guidelines. This might also explain why why there's no longer a penalty for losing a case at the tribunal.

I am of the view that the the direction given to Christian by the AFL is to assess each incident using MRP guidelines and nothing else, and let the tribunal sort out all the cases where the application of the guidelines leads to an incorrect outcome. If he has to do is pull out the table and circle three boxes I can see why its takes 5 mins per incident to reach an outcome.

There's clearly zero depth of thought in what Christian is being asked to do, leaving the tribunal to sort out cases that don't perfectly march the guidelines. This might also explain why why there's no longer a penalty for losing a case at the tribunal.
Historically this isn't the case though. In the 2020 Grand Final when Dangerfield knocked out Vlastuin with a raised forearm, Christian stated that "Dangerfield’s actions were not unreasonable in the circumstances and no further action was to be taken".

Now even as someone who can't stand Dangerfield, I didn't think he should be suspended or even fined. But if you take the view that all of these incidents would go to the tribunal, then it should've been graded as Reckless/High Contact/Severe Impact. Then it goes to the tribunal where (similar to Lynch), it is quickly thrown out.

My take of Christian is that the media (both footy and social) drum up outrage/incidents with players and this is what makes it to his desk. In the last couple of years, Lynch has arguably been public enemy #1 and has had at least 2 reports thrown out by the tribunal because they were ridiculous. However there's very similar incidents that are totally ignored. For example in Round 3 there was an aerial collision between O'Meara and Witherden that wasn't even cited. You'd think on consistency this would've gone to the tribunal too, right...

Plus I think it is on the Match Review Officer to the 'dimmest' view on an incident, whilst the tribunal takes a more balanced view. Its far better for a club to argue a penalty is too harsh than it is for the AFL too argue a penalty is too lenient. Otherwise the tribunal would have to review every incident regardless of what the MRO says.

My post from 2 years ago was talking about how Gerard Whateley defends Geelong players, a la Ablett's consecutive elbows to people's head that he somehow got off scot free.
Yes. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

(I had no idea it was that old, the thread was at the top of the front page and obviously the MRO process being garbage is as topical today as it was back then).

Michael Christian is not the final decision maker in MRO cases. The Football Operations Manager is, and I think at this stage Andrew Dillon might be fulfilling that duty.

It is Christian's role however to identify and investigate cases and no doubt make recommendations for the Footy Ops Manager to decide upon. We have no way of knowing for certain Christian's view of the McKay and Lynch incidents. We only know Dillon held the view they should both be suspended.

Sacking Christian will not solve that.

And dear friends, what of sacking Dillon? Nothing could be further from the agenda for the man who is soon to be promoted to AFL CEO.

I shit you not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the bloke who's suspended players committing football acts left and right due to the outcome suddenly decides its the action that counts not the outcome?

Thank god Laura Kane stepped in to prevent Christian from saving his old club.

It’s easy to sit there and pot Christian but let’s be real.

The MRO is the most thankless, easily critical role in the whole AFL Industry.
He makes it easy to pot him when he abandons his outcome based decision making when it's his former club that's gonna suffer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back