Scandal Joel Smith (Melbourne): Cocaine trafficking accusation

Remove this Banner Ad

Trafficking Accusation:

MFC and AFL Statements:

Melbourne Football Club Media Statement – Joel Smith

The Melbourne Football Club has been advised by the AFL that further Anti-Doping Rule Violations have been asserted against Joel Smith by Sport Integrity Australia.

The Melbourne Football Club is not authorised to make public comment while this is an ongoing matter that is being investigated by Sport Integrity Australia.

It should be noted since the article has been published on the Herald Sun website, Joel’s management has contacted the Club on his behalf to advise that the comments made by the source within the article are not reflective of Joel’s views and the source is not speaking on any authority from Joel.

Joel has made it very clear that he has no issues or concerns with anyone at the Melbourne Football Club.

As the Club has previously stated, we will wait for the investigation to be completed before we update our supporters further.

AFL STATEMENT – JOEL SMITH

The AFL confirms that further Anti-Doping Rule Violations (ADRVs) have been asserted against Joel Smith of the Melbourne Football Club under the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code.

Sport Integrity Australia (SIA) has notified Smith that three ADRVs for “Trafficking or Attempted Trafficking” of Cocaine to third parties are asserted against him.

Under the Code, Trafficking in an anti-doping context is relevantly defined to be “Selling, giving, transporting, sending, delivering or distributing a Prohibited Substance, by an Athlete … to any third party [but] shall not include actions involving Prohibited Substances which are not prohibited in Out-of-Competition Testing unless the circumstances as a whole demonstrate such Prohibited Substances are not intended for genuine and legal therapeutic purposes or are intended to enhance sport performance” (Article 1 of the Code).

Further, SIA has notified Smith that an ADRV for Possession of a Prohibited Substance (Cocaine) on 9 September 2022 is asserted against him.

These ADRVs are in addition to that previously asserted against him (in connection with a sample provided by him after the match between Melbourne and Hawthorn on 20 August 2023 which tested positive to Cocaine and its metabolite, Benzoylecgonine).

Smith will continue to be provisionally suspended pending the finalisation of all of these matters, meaning he is not permitted to be part of Melbourne’s football program, including Melbourne’s pre-season training that is currently underway.

Under the Code, the new asserted ADRVs will be further investigated by SIA and these matters may ultimately be heard by an AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal in the coming months.

Due to the ongoing nature of the anti-doping process, the AFL and SIA are unable to make any further comment at this time.

Last edited:

Death, taxes and pies fans making things about themselves. This thread is about Yeyo Sniff, not maynard or May

Just like one of your best players made the BnF speech about Collingwood?

Second rate club flukes a COVID flag then unravels.

Double straight sets then the Post Season so far;
Oliver
May gobbing off at B&F
Smith.
Love how much Collingwood fans are melting down over what May said. Imagine getting this upset over a sportsperson saying their team is better than another team, and you don't even play yhe sport. Enjoy making those gameday banners and thinking you are part of the team.

Second rate club flukes a COVID flag then unravels.

Double straight sets then the Post Season so far;
Oliver
May gobbing off at B&F
Smith.
Melbourne think they are in the collingwood, Carlton, essendon tier of Vic teams. they are not. they are in the Richmond, hawthorn, St.kilda tier

If he can prove that it didn't affect his gameday, then you'd think he had an argument....i reckon it would be a tough one to prove though
If it's established he took cocaine on Thursday, then tested positive on Sunday after his game, that to me is a 3 month suspension?

Last edited:
Love how much Collingwood fans are melting down over what May said. Imagine getting this upset over a sportsperson saying their team is better than another team, and you don't even play yhe sport. Enjoy making those gameday banners and thinking you are part of the team.
Is not so much a meltdown as it is an observation of a silly comment. Imagine thinking you are better than the premier when you haven’t won a final in over two years. No wonder you haven’t.

Van Rooyan should have got 3 weeks, and his stupid decision likely cost Melbourne the premiership.
Kosi should have gotten 4 weeks, but the AFL didn't want to suspend Buddy for the 4 that he deserved the same week.
Check my post history on Goodwin - the bloke is an idiot that should not be eployed in any team sport.

See what not being a nuffie is when I can rationally look at the club I support.

Maynard is a weak grub, hope he gets serious bad injury that ends his career and leaves him with a disability like he has done to Brayshaw.
Probably cost you the premiership? Rationally look at the club? You lost to Carlton the following week, Nuffie definition right there.

It was round 23 vs Hawthorne - could argue that the "competition" requirement of the "in competition testing" had not been met.

Found Goodwins burner account.

Not really.

We had Hawthorn's 'injunction' swept under the rug, Dane Swan's antics ignored by the Vic media, players from the Swans' '12 premiership team supposedly railing lines and not being very discreet about it, as well as a raft of other behaviours by players that, aside from a few articles, were largely ignored.

Yet we still have dropkicks who keep bleating on about WCE's drug issues in the 00's...
I'm sure I dont have to reel off all the incidents involving Eagles players from the period to point out that the incidents you mentioned are not really comparable to what occurred back then and the subsequent media circus that followed.

It's not evidence of Vic bias or some unwarranted persecution of the Eagles you seem to think it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our culture within the club has been piss weak since we won a flag. Embarrassed as a supporter right now. Constant off-field issues and trying to put fires out everywhere. Any other Melbourne supporter that thinks otherwise or pretends like we are in a better position culturally have blinders on.

Disgrace.
Good to see a realist.

Far too many people want to feel sorry for these clowns and their bullshit.

They're adults and supposed to be professional athletes, they are far from it the way they carry on.

That I'm not sure, but I don't think anyone in the world would deliberately use coke on game day to improve performance, that's insane.
No, and I'm certain he wouldn't have used it for that purpose, but I don't think ASADA would particularly care and the onus will be on Smith to prove that he didn't use it for performance related reasons rather than the other way.

Probably cost you the premiership? Rationally look at the club? You lost to Carlton the following week, Nuffie definition right there.
He missed both games, which they lost by a combined 9 points, kicking some of their lowest scores of the season. Collingwood and Carlton both fell over the line due to Melbourne having no decent tall forwards playing. So yes, likely cost Melbourne a premiership.

I'm sure I dont have to reel off all the incidents involving Eagles players from the period to point out that the incidents you mentioned are not really comparable to what occurred back then and the subsequent media circus that followed.

It's not evidence of Vic bias or some unwarranted persecution of the Eagles you seem to think it is.
Dane Swan beating up a cleaner and leaving him with brain damage, refusing to pay damages and celebrated in the media as a 'good bloke' ring any bells?

Or him admitting on a podcast a number of years ago that he'd go out on a bender, be high as a kite and the club minders would come rescue him, all while pissing himself laughing?

The Swans player ridiculed for revealing the drug issues the club had late 90s/early 00's whose story just disappeared into thin air?

Make no mistake, other clubs had/are having just as many issues with drugs as WCE did in the 00s, it's just not palatable for the league for it to be public.

He missed both games, which they lost by a combined 9 points, kicking some of their lowest scores of the season. Collingwood and Carlton both fell over the line due to Melbourne having no decent tall forwards playing. So yes, likely cost Melbourne a premiership.
You won the expected score premiership.
:$

Our culture within the club has been piss weak since we won a flag. Embarrassed as a supporter right now. Constant off-field issues and trying to put fires out everywhere. Any other Melbourne supporter that thinks otherwise or pretends like we are in a better position culturally have blinders on.

Disgrace.
Kind of agree, I reckon you've left a threepeat on the table

That 2021 brand of footy was top shelf, too good for just one flag

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dane Swan beating up a cleaner and leaving him with brain damage, refusing to pay damages and celebrated in the media as a 'good bloke' ring any bells?

Or him admitting on a podcast a number of years ago that he'd go out on a bender, be high as a kite and the club minders would come rescue him, all while pissing himself laughing?

The Swans player ridiculed for revealing the drug issues the club had late 90s/early 00's whose story just disappeared into thin air?

Make no mistake, other clubs had/are having just as many issues with drugs as WCE did in the 00s, it's just not palatable for the league for it to be public.
It's not a Vic thing - it's a powerful club thing. Collingwood, Westcoast, Essendon, Richmond, Carlton and Hawthorn all get an easy ride from the media and are protected by the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back