West Coast accused of tanking vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't try and win at the end of the game. You need me to dumb it down anymore?
How?

We had the same setup and Yeo got free and kicked it to Allen, who was clearly infringed when Zerk-Thatcher marked and the free not paid.
Explain how this is tanking.

How can WCE stop the ump throwing the ball over the rucks, directly to an Essendon player, who then got it forward, leading to Langford's winning goal? Explain how this is tanking.

How?

We had the same setup and Yeo got free and kicked it to Allen, who was clearly infringed when Zerk-Thatcher marked and the free not paid.
Explain how this is tanking.

How can WCE stop the ump throwing the ball over the rucks, directly to an Essendon player, who then got it forward, leading to Langford's winning goal? Explain how this is tanking.
So you think Melbourne didn't tank also?

Seems absurd to me. Apparently they haven't been training for that scenario but focussing on their core plan, so why wouldn't you back yourself to do what had got you into a winning position? They got to that point playing a certain way, they kept playing that way.
Sure, it didn't work out and a more experienced and better drilled side might have been in a position change their ways on a moment's notice.
Also conveniently seems to be no acknowledgement of the following minute of play in which we had another attack and should have had the winning shot on goal after Oscar was mauled.

It would have worked had Oscar been paid a free kick or the ball wasn’t throw directly to a Bombers player from a stoppage and we wouldn’t be sitting here right now.

Didn't try and win at the end of the game. You need me to dumb it down anymore?
Go watch the last minute again mate. We had an inside 50 after the Langford goal that should have resulted in a shot on goal.

“Didn’t try to win the game” is bullshit given we came from 5 goals down

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did they pay off the umpire off as well to throw up the ball nowhere near the rucks?

We are both the worst team in recent history and the most tactically astute, finesse masters who can apparently manipulate an outcome to within 5 points.

Some absolute paint inhalers posting in this thread.

If they were trying to tank, why would they put in the effort to come back from 5 goals down in the first place?

For the same reason a murderer might try and conceal his crime by legitimizing his movements in the lead up to the murder.

I dont think WCE Tanked, but pretty sure Simpson didnt just forget to put a spare back either. 'We'll either win with Allen up forward, or we'll lose with him up forward.''

But again though, if the plan was to tank why put in the effort to get in front with a minute to go?

The game goes for 120+ minutes, not just the bit at the end.
You can't tell players not to try bro.

No player is going to go out there and deliberately play badly so they "can get pick 1".

They don't care about pick 1.

The only way tanking can occur is when the coach makes changes which increase the chances of the team losing.

It is exactly what happened in the Melbourne tanking episode actually.

In the controversial game vs Richmond where Melbourne was on track to win, they made baffling changes out on the ground like moving their ruckman (Paul Johnson) to full back and moved their full back and centre half back (James Frawley and Matthew Warnock) to full forward and centre half forward, despite the fact the team was winning a game they had gone into as an underdog and had no reason to change anything up in at the time.

For a coach like Simpson who has been under immense pressure with murmurings of his job being in danger, a blowout loss brings renewed scrutiny and pressure.

His ideal outcome is always going to be an honourable loss while North are only percentage ahead of his team on the ladder.

Allen's shank in the 3rd was a bad one. I said to the people I was with that I can't watch that in this scenario without thinking he probably deliberately missed that. Other weren't convinced a player wouldn't prefer to win.

Well I'm convinced a 24 year old would much rather a greater chance of future success than a meaningless late season win.

Allen's shank in the 3rd was a bad one. I said to the people I was with that I can't watch that in this scenario without thinking he probably deliberately missed that. Other weren't convinced a player wouldn't prefer to win.

Well I'm convinced a 24 year old would much rather a greater chance of future success than a meaningless late season win.

Tell me you've never played sport competitively without telling me you've never played sport competitively.

You can't tell players not to try bro.

No player is going to go out there and deliberately play badly so they "can get pick 1".

They don't care about pick 1.

The only way tanking can occur is when the coach makes changes which increase the chances of the team losing.

It is exactly what happened in the Melbourne tanking episode actually.

In the controversial game vs Richmond where Melbourne was on track to win, they made baffling changes out on the ground like moving their ruckman (Paul Johnson) to full back and moved their full back and centre half back (James Frawley and Matthew Warnock) to full forward and centre half forward, despite the fact the team was winning a game they had gone into as an underdog and had no reason to change anything up in at the time.

For a coach like Simpson who has been under immense pressure with murmurings of his job being in danger, a blowout loss brings renewed scrutiny and pressure.

His ideal outcome is always going to be an honourable loss while North are only percentage ahead of his team on the ladder.

You know WCE got the ball forward and OAllen should've been having a shot from the top of the goal-square, if the ump paid the obvious free right? That from that point those media morons reckon Simmo refused to send one back FYI.

You must've been stoked when Allen kicked a goal near the end of the 4th quarter to put WCE a point behind then.

Tell me you've never played sport competitively without telling me you've never played sport competitively.
Nice try. Played plenty of competitive sport. A lot of it in a football team that got flogged every week in division 1 but stayed up every year because other teams liked to tank the grading games every year and stay in division 2.

But as I said above it isn't hard to see why a 24 year old would have incentive to do it when he looks around the league and sees teams who have struggled for 5 or 6 years. I'm sure that 24 year old doesn't want to waste his prime playing in a team sitting at the bottom of the ladder.

Whether they a doing it or not it is hard to watch without thinking they are.

Nice try. Played plenty of competitive sport. A lot of it in a football team that got flogged every week in division 1 but stayed up every year because other teams liked to tank the grading games every year and stay in division 2.

But as I said above it isn't hard to see why a 24 year old would have incentive to do it when he looks around the league and sees teams who have struggled for 5 or 6 years. I'm sure that 24 year old doesn't want to waste his prime playing in a team sitting at the bottom of the ladder.

Whether they a doing it or not it is hard to watch without thinking they are.

No 24 yr old with a competitive bone in their body thinks like that during a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back