Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 2023 AFL RS, AFLPA Best First Year Player, 2023 SBM, NMFC Best Young Player - signed thru 2030

Remove this Banner Ad

I just wanted to tell a story about how lucky we are to have this kid:

My youngest finished year 12 last year whilst battling through severe anxiety where at some points he struggled to leave his room, let alone go to school.

On the morning of his last exam I took him to Arden St to buy him the bounding roo jumper. After grabbing the jumper we got back in the car about to drive away when the missus says "that's Harry Sheezel". He was crossing Arden St to get to his car after training.

I asked my boy if he wanted to get a photo with him but speaking to people is a real challenge. I kept asking and at one point I saw him reach for the door handle. This told me he really wanted to go but was battling his own mind to physically bring himself to do it. I got out and told him to come along with me.

By the time I got across the road, Sheez was in his car. I didn't want to scare the sh*t out of him so went around to the passenger side and made sure he saw me before knocking on the window.

He wound down the window and I asked if we could get a photo, he said "yeah sure". To my surprise, he turned the car off and jumped out. I was just hoping for a quick photo whilst he sat in the car.

We proceeded to have a chat for the next 20 mins about his first year and the upcoming draft. He asked my son about his struggles and told him that he's done a great job finishing year 12, he really pumped my boys tyres.

Anyway, to make a long story longer, we didn't have a pen for Sheez to sign the jumper, so on the last training night before the resurfacing I took my son back down to Arden St to see if we could get Harry to sign it.

Sheez was last off the track and when he saw me he ran up, shook my hand, shook my sons hand and said to my son "how'd you go?"....my son looked at him confused. "How'd you go in your exam?" He asked again.

He bloody remembered.....5 weeks since our chat, he'd remembered.

My son couldn't stop smiling. Harry Sheezel knew who he was. He took the time to listen and them remembered who he was and the struggles he's having.

It probably wasn't a big thing for Sheez but it goes to the quality of the kid. The impact he had on my son that day brought a tear to this old farts eyes.

We have a gun of a human in Harry.
That's just ****in awesome!! Blokes like that will have a massive impact on the whole playing group

2030 is the year that Sheezel is eligible for free agency. We'd probably he happier with an extension to 2029, but there's not much reason to be worried about a contract that's set to expire after another seven seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My youngest finished year 12 last year whilst battling through severe anxiety where at some points he struggled to leave his room, let alone go to school.

On the morning of his last exam I took him to Arden St to buy him the bounding roo jumper. After grabbing the jumper we got back in the car about to drive away when the missus says "that's Harry Sheezel". He was crossing Arden St to get to his car after training.

I asked my boy if he wanted to get a photo with him but speaking to people is a real challenge. I kept asking and at one point I saw him reach for the door handle. This told me he really wanted to go but was battling his own mind to physically bring himself to do it. I got out and told him to come along with me.

By the time I got across the road, Sheez was in his car. I didn't want to scare the sh*t out of him so went around to the passenger side and made sure he saw me before knocking on the window.

He wound down the window and I asked if we could get a photo, he said "yeah sure". To my surprise, he turned the car off and jumped out. I was just hoping for a quick photo whilst he sat in the car.

We proceeded to have a chat for the next 20 mins about his first year and the upcoming draft. He asked my son about his struggles and told him that he's done a great job finishing year 12, he really pumped my boys tyres.

Anyway, to make a long story longer, we didn't have a pen for Sheez to sign the jumper, so on the last training night before the resurfacing I took my son back down to Arden St to see if we could get Harry to sign it.

Sheez was last off the track and when he saw me he ran up, shook my hand, shook my sons hand and said to my son "how'd you go?"....my son looked at him confused. "How'd you go in your exam?" He asked again.

My son couldn't stop smiling. Harry Sheezel knew who he was. He took the time to listen and them remembered who he was and the struggles he's having.

It probably wasn't a big thing for Sheez but it goes to the quality of the kid. The impact he had on my son that day brought a tear to this old farts eyes.

Can you imagine JHF doing this?

Brilliant, club is in good hands 🙌

This is a phenomenal story Macca and even less about Harry than your son reaching through those struggles (and his parent/s for being aware enough to notice and be there for guidance and care).

That's huge! How short are the odds on Kane Cornes criticising his long term contract as he does with every other player who doesn't play for Port?
Just a reminder - he was OK with the JHF deal because JHF will be 25 years old at the end of it.

Harry Sheezel will be 25 years old at the end of the 2030 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back