Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 2023 AFL RS, AFLPA Best First Year Player, 2023 SBM, NMFC Best Young Player - signed thru 2030

Remove this Banner Ad

He has to be in the leadership group next season - he’s already looked up to by all the players.

So professional and sets a great example on the field - also doesn’t hurt that he’s a gun person.
He already is in the leadership group lol, in his second year. Speaks to his character.

NORTH Melbourne is set to lock in Harry Sheezel for the long-term, with the young gun closing in on a mega contract extension to the end of 2030.

The Kangaroos' Rising Star winner signed a two-year contract extension after his brilliant debut last season that saw him tied to the club until the end of 2026.

FANTASY
Jordon, Xerri, Martin: Fantasy breakout options to consider
However, after his phenomenal first season at AFL level that saw him win the Roos' best and fairest, North Melbourne has been deep in talks to extend that for a further four years.

AFL.com.au can reveal discussions have progressed that will see the 19-year-old signed to the end of 2030, when he will reach free agency at the end of his eighth year.

The commitment from North Melbourne after one season signals its belief in Sheezel as a key member of its rebuild in coming years, with the talented and versatile emerging star joining the Roos' leadership group ahead of his second AFL season.

The benefits of a long-term extension after one season at the top level are for both player and club.

05:15
5 hrs
Footy Feed: Cripps' finals fever, young Don rising, Giant warning
Nat Edwards with all the latest footy news

For Sheezel, it brings extra security through to his free agency eligibility, while for the Roos they lock in one of their brightest players while also giving them flexibility with the contract that can allow them to front-end payments or structure the deal differently through its entirety.

The deal will follow the likes of Collingwood superstar Nick Daicos, Adelaide pair Josh Rachele and Jake Soligo and Fremantle forward Jye Amiss, who last year all extended their contracts through to the end of their eighth season (in 2029) while in their second year in the AFL.

The updated contract will see Sheezel as the longest-contracted Kangaroo, surpassing Nick Larkey, who signed last season through to the end of 2029. Only Bulldogs forward Aaron Naughton and Port Adelaide skipper Connor Rozee (both to 2032) and Sydney's Nick Blakey (2031) have longer contracts in the competition.

Harry Sheezel and Beau McCreery during North Melbourne's game against Collingwood in R11, 2023. Picture: AFL Photos
The Roos' No.3 pick at the 2022 draft became the first player since Port Adelaide's Darren Mead in 1997 to win a club best and fairest in their debut season after a terrific year off half-back with his skill and poise.

After gathering 34 disposals in round one last year, he finished the season with 622 disposals – breaking the record for the most disposals in a debut VFL/AFL home and away season, and was the runaway winner of the Rising Star award.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's huge! How short are the odds on Kane Cornes criticising his long term contract as he does with every other player who doesn't play for Port?
Oh pretty short. If I were tab I'd be paying $1.10

A remarkable person and a remarkable football player.

Here's to 7 seasons of glory for this superstar.
Very happy that I recognised his family sitting a couple of rows behind us for R1 last year and gave them a cheerful welcome to North Melbourne. Obviously that would have been taken into account. His Mum looked to be thrilled at Harry getting a game. His Dad was looking really nervous. They were pretty happy by half time though.

Whether he becomes captain or not he has on-field leadership qualities that (IMHO) exceed his actual football skills. By that, I mean, Harry causes the players around him to be better players.

I can’t believe that heck stick is defending Ports signing’s on twitter, but is ridiculing *’s. Surely he comes for us. Says Rozee and Butters are different.

One. F uck *.

Two. Sure, by all reports we are signing a fat slow Daicos for six years. But that’s like chump change for the five years we handed our co-captains.

I hope we sign George up too.

I also think that AFL clubs lock in players for too long, not so much because of potential for injury but really a potential for losing the hunger - every case needs to be looked at in isolation.

Our clubs wants stability and is building a new generation. Sheezel being already voted in for leadership does mean that we are not just locking up one person, we are potentially helping lock up a new generation.

I would also suggest that by any metric you look at with Sheezel it just seems very unlikely he will suffer from go easy mode post signing.

So while its a long time, I think its one of those long time contracts that you can feel comfortable with, and in fact is pretty desirable considering we are as a team and what we want over the term of that contract.

I can’t believe that * stick is defending Ports signing’s on twitter, but is ridiculing *’s. Surely he comes for us. Says Rozee and Butters are different.

One. F uck *.

Two. Sure, by all reports we are signing a fat slow Daicos for six years. But that’s like chump change for the five years we handed our co-captains.

I hope we sign George up too.
Are you talking about Cornes?

He hates the long term contracts.

IMG_4443.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back