Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 2023 AFL RS, AFLPA Best First Year Player, 2023 SBM, NMFC Best Young Player - signed thru 2030

Remove this Banner Ad

Cash Cowboys was almost a decade ago. Ponder that.

The metaphysical fork in the road where LOL Richmond set off for greener pastures and we began a long journey of violating ourselves with cheese graters.

Good times.

We can go back to 2011 when the debate was around who’d have more success, us, Richmond or Melbourne.

Anyhoo…onwards and upwards with Sheez, Jy and Larkey. Hopefully a few more want to be part of the solution and not the problem.

I just wanted to tell a story about how lucky we are to have this kid:

My youngest finished year 12 last year whilst battling through severe anxiety where at some points he struggled to leave his room, let alone go to school.

On the morning of his last exam I took him to Arden St to buy him the bounding roo jumper. After grabbing the jumper we got back in the car about to drive away when the missus says "that's Harry Sheezel". He was crossing Arden St to get to his car after training.

I asked my boy if he wanted to get a photo with him but speaking to people is a real challenge. I kept asking and at one point I saw him reach for the door handle. This told me he really wanted to go but was battling his own mind to physically bring himself to do it. I got out and told him to come along with me.

By the time I got across the road, Sheez was in his car. I didn't want to scare the sh*t out of him so went around to the passenger side and made sure he saw me before knocking on the window.

He wound down the window and I asked if we could get a photo, he said "yeah sure". To my surprise, he turned the car off and jumped out. I was just hoping for a quick photo whilst he sat in the car.

We proceeded to have a chat for the next 20 mins about his first year and the upcoming draft. He asked my son about his struggles and told him that he's done a great job finishing year 12, he really pumped my boys tyres.

Anyway, to make a long story longer, we didn't have a pen for Sheez to sign the jumper, so on the last training night before the resurfacing I took my son back down to Arden St to see if we could get Harry to sign it.

Sheez was last off the track and when he saw me he ran up, shook my hand, shook my sons hand and said to my son "how'd you go?"....my son looked at him confused. "How'd you go in your exam?" He asked again.

He bloody remembered.....5 weeks since our chat, he'd remembered.

My son couldn't stop smiling. Harry Sheezel knew who he was. He took the time to listen and them remembered who he was and the struggles he's having.

It probably wasn't a big thing for Sheez but it goes to the quality of the kid. The impact he had on my son that day brought a tear to this old farts eyes.

We have a gun of a human in Harry.
Damn dude this s**t got me

My youngest finished year 12 last year whilst battling through severe anxiety where at some points he struggled to leave his room, let alone go to school.

On the morning of his last exam I took him to Arden St to buy him the bounding roo jumper. After grabbing the jumper we got back in the car about to drive away when the missus says "that's Harry Sheezel". He was crossing Arden St to get to his car after training.

I asked my boy if he wanted to get a photo with him but speaking to people is a real challenge. I kept asking and at one point I saw him reach for the door handle. This told me he really wanted to go but was battling his own mind to physically bring himself to do it. I got out and told him to come along with me.

By the time I got across the road, Sheez was in his car. I didn't want to scare the sh*t out of him so went around to the passenger side and made sure he saw me before knocking on the window.

He wound down the window and I asked if we could get a photo, he said "yeah sure". To my surprise, he turned the car off and jumped out. I was just hoping for a quick photo whilst he sat in the car.

We proceeded to have a chat for the next 20 mins about his first year and the upcoming draft. He asked my son about his struggles and told him that he's done a great job finishing year 12, he really pumped my boys tyres.

Anyway, to make a long story longer, we didn't have a pen for Sheez to sign the jumper, so on the last training night before the resurfacing I took my son back down to Arden St to see if we could get Harry to sign it.

Sheez was last off the track and when he saw me he ran up, shook my hand, shook my sons hand and said to my son "how'd you go?"....my son looked at him confused. "How'd you go in your exam?" He asked again.

My son couldn't stop smiling. Harry Sheezel knew who he was. He took the time to listen and them remembered who he was and the struggles he's having.

It probably wasn't a big thing for Sheez but it goes to the quality of the kid. The impact he had on my son that day brought a tear to this old farts eyes.

Love this so much!

Thanks mate, my boy is my hero. I've battled anxiety all my life and to watch him fight like hell to achieve what he has is an inspiration.

Best part is he's now studying mental health because he wants to help others.

It's very admirable. There is a lot of anxiety and depression in my family as well and my greatest fear for my 5yo is mostly he doesn't experience it to the degrees of his parents but even more so if he does, we are there to lift him. Your story hits home no doubt for a lot of us.

Post of the year for mine, what a wonderful story, so many layers;
Harry Sheezel showing how kind, caring and considerate he is, his off field persona matches his on field feats. MaccaRoo a kind, caring and thoughtful dad. And finally young MaccaRoo for having the courage and bravery to face his challenges head on and be so richly rewarded for doing so.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Post of the year for mine, what a wonderful story, so many layers;
Harry Sheezel showing how kind, caring and considerate he is, his off field persona matches his on field feats. MaccaRoo a kind, caring and thoughtful dad. And finally young MaccaRoo for having the courage and bravery to face his challenges head and be so richly rewarded for doing so. My Left Foote for being hung like a Clydesdale stallion.

There's just one thing that needs answering MaccaRoo how did the boy do in his last exam?

Your last observation seems superfluous to the discussion?

Thanks mate, my boy is my hero. I've battled anxiety all my life and to watch him fight like hell to achieve what he has is an inspiration.

Best part is he's now studying mental health because he wants to help others.

I wish your boy all the best.

Anxiety can be crippling and it's like people say, you don't understand until you either have it or live with someone who does.

New boss at work.
Never happy.
Only tells me what I've done wrong or what I haven't done = me an hour late the last 2 days because I'm fighting to get myself in the car to even get here.

Just keep swimming.

Basically telling all and sundry I'm here for the long haul, follow me to the promised land.
Will set the standards, will be a leader, will be remembered as a North champion 🏆.
This kid will be the driving force in the playing group. We will owe him alot when he is finished.
Doesn't come across as arrogant or thinks he is better than anyone. New kids will see how hard he works and the old follow the leader.
We are a lucky club having a 19yo going on 30 in maturity

Remove this Banner Ad

Back