Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 2023 AFL RS, AFLPA Best First Year Player, 2023 SBM, NMFC Best Young Player - signed thru 2030

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon he's playing majority hb.

Why would Clarko train him all season in the backline, play both practice matches off hb only to suddenly change him round 1. He'll be our main playmaker off half back with stints in the midfield.

Why would Clarko train him all season in the backline, play both practice matches off hb only to suddenly change him round 1. He'll be our main playmaker off half back with stints in the midfield.
Like he did last year by playing half back in the last praccy game in the second half only

Worked last year when he trained all preseason as a hf.

Worked last year when he trained all preseason as a hf.
Reckon Harry could do anything asked of him.

Played a bit of hb against Richmond in the praccy last year, looked lost. A week later looked much better, the next week got the pill 30+ times.

He's a quick learner.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Played a bit of hb against Richmond in the praccy last year, looked lost. A week later looked much better, the next week got the pill 30+ times.

He's a quick learner.

Exactly. He's a superstar just chuck him where you need him.

I think with Kerch and Fisher coming in - even though they're both left footers - it gives us a bit more leeway to throw Sheez around.

He's a quick learner.

carpooling with the warlord last year was all the development he requires, those two building symmetry is what’s going to shoot us up the ladder.

lots of footy but made some uncharacteristically weird decisions with the ball, the highlight being kicking on lazzaro's head at half back.

With mckercher and fisher, i wonder if there is a temptation to move him forward with stints in the midfield. Weve seen glimpses that he can be a real match winner there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we should move him away from HB, McKercher and Fisher are not as good defensively as he is. He's extremely underrated in that regard and we need him back there.

I'm the other way.

We need his creativity and drive further up the ground now where he'll be even more impactful.

Despite his presence, we were still scored against 36 odd times.

There's a midfield rotation screaming out for him. He's physically ready.

I don't think we should move him away from HB, McKercher and Fisher are not as good defensively as he is. He's extremely underrated in that regard and we need him back there.
I would be more inclined to get Kerch in the middle and leave Sheez back.

Fisher has the next couple of games to prove that his offensive drive is worth the unaccountable nature of his defensive efforts.

The HB, Midfield and forward pressure were the biggest worries going forward to come out of yesterday’s game.

most meters gained of the round!
He took 5 kick ins, I can't be bothered looking but I'm guessing he ran 20m and kicked it 50m, there's half his metres gained for the game.

Of his 32 disposals, 7 were turnovers and 5 were kick-ins.

I'm not criticising him, I'm just saying that we often get seduced by looking at the stats. He was okay, personally I'd rather see what he can do on ball and in the forward half.

He took 5 kick ins, I can't be bothered looking but I'm guessing he ran 20m and kicked it 50m, there's half his metres gained for the game.

Of his 32 disposals, 7 were turnovers and 5 were kick-ins.

I'm not criticising him, I'm just saying that we often get seduced by looking at the stats. He was okay, personally I'd rather see what he can do on ball and in the forward half.
Really good points. Especially the 70 metres gained by kick ins.

Harry was still our second best player after Big X.

They're just guessing that number so its not a good point.
I'd like to see a breakdown of the metres gained from kick ins. It could be a very good point.

Regardless of the result. He's still a gun and already arguably our best player.

Most talented player we have had since Wells.

Colby might change that

We are finally on the right track with our drafting and coaching.

They're just guessing that number so its not a good point.
Absolutely.
Hurn in 2021 took an average of 6 kick ins a game, for an average of ~210m gained.
Ziebell 6.5 a game for 198m gained.
May 5.2 for 186m.

Yes, Sheezel gains some m gained from kick ins, but "70m a possession" is HUGELY overestimating the average gain from a kick in.
He also excels at 15-20m kick ins from the goal square to find a target in a zone, which would massively push down his average.
And every other player who takes kick ins has the ability to gain ground as well, so why would Sheezel being better at it than them be something to take as a negative?
1710846696802.png

I'd like to see a breakdown of the metres gained from kick ins. It could be a very good point.

Regardless of the result. He's still a gun and already arguably our best player.
It’s a weird stat, say he kicks it straight across the ground to an open player who takes who takes it all the way down the ground that registers as 0 metres gained, but down the line to a pack where it’s knocked out of play is +40-50. Seems flawed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back