Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 2023 AFL RS, AFLPA Best First Year Player, 2023 SBM, NMFC Best Young Player - signed thru 2030

Remove this Banner Ad

Well thank the lucky stars he's name is Harry and not Dick, otherwise a cryptic post would have gotten crypticer
I think Dick Cheese was picked in the forward pocket in an early 30's Esserden premiership team.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

DESPERATE’ TO GO NORTH
Jon Ralph
North Melbourne’s Rising Star winner Harry Sheezel hopes his massive commitment to the Kangaroos can “breed success” and take the club to a flag within seven years.

Already contracted until 2026, Sheezel extended his contract for four more years until the end of 2030 in a huge show of faith to the club after it finished 17th in his brilliant debut season.

Sheezel, 19, not only won the Rising Star award in 2023 but took out the Roos’ best-and-fairest as he seamlessly adjusted to senior football in a creative role off halfback.

The former No.3 pick said he and teammates were “desperate” to return the club to premiership contention as he was optimistic the side was improving at a “quick rate” on the eve of its second season under Alastair Clarkson.

“Ever since I walked in the door I’ve just loved the place, loved the players, loved the coaching staff and just the whole environment, the club has made me feel so welcome,” Sheezel said on Thursday.

“The group as well, we’re really developing at a quick rate I think … we’ve got a couple more draftees in this year who are going to help us grow.

“We don’t have too much evidence at the moment, but I’m sure we’re going to build that pretty soon and I’m excited to see where that takes us.”

Sheezel said he hoped fellow recent top-10 picks including George Wardlaw, Colby McKercher and Zane Duursma would follow his lead and remain at the club for the long-term.

“It’s so exciting hearing all those names … hopefully they all stay around as
If we all stay together and build some experience, that’s how we’re going to get better, climb the ladder and hopefully breed some success.

“First thing that comes to mind is hopefully premiership player … that’s the main goal for me and I’m sure that’s the goal for most of the boys here, that’s something we’re really desperate for.

“Obviously the club hasn’t been going too well the last few years and we’re just so keen to turn that around, so that’s definitely the number one goal.”

North Melbourne list boss Brady Rawlings said the club was excited to secure Sheezel’s future after locking in star foward Nick Larkey and co-captain Jy Simpkin on long-term contracts.

“We’re absolutely rapt to have a player and person of Harry’s calibre sign on until at least the end of 2030,” he said.

This guy just screams absolute class…..if this is the mindset of all of our new core of players coming into the club on their days off and how they conduct themselves in interviews then l can see the gloom of the past years disappearing rapidly….what an absolute gem ….and deserving of contract extension…..unlike some two past players …..kudos to Harry…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No matter how good Cadman and Ashcroft end up, Harry is well worth our pick 1 from 2022.
Leading in to that draft, watching YouTube’s of a Stevie J like HFF, I was ok with the pick. But watching him now deliver leadership, drive, and an inert ability to run the game from a role that he is still only learning about, I look forward to 7 more seasons or more of this brilliant footballer

We funnily enough now seem to have a logjam of decent options in defence. Goater really impressed in the praccy, and with LMac and Corr to come back in, and Bergman, Hardeman, and George all pushing for senior selection, has the time already arrived to push him forward?

With no Jy or Will, how much midfield does he play tomorrow?

You'd think with Colby and Fish in the side, it frees him up in situations like thus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back