Unpopular AFL Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Players should get to choose if they play the following week from a concussion. With the risks declared and no questions and repercussions from the club if they choose to not play.
Players will always choose to play, just like they would choose to go back on. Duty of care is from the club, the doctors and the AFL because athletes will do just about anything to complete/win.

Players should get to choose if they play the following week from a concussion. With the risks declared and no questions and repercussions from the club if they choose to not play.

How would you enforce this no repercussions thing?

You really don’t think young, fringe players won’t feel pressured to play even if they don’t feel comfortable to help their careers?

Tom Liberatore is not underrated or unheralded despite how many times we hear it. As evidenced by the fact that every time he goes near it the commentators gush over him and mention his "underrated" he is. He is pretty clearly recognised as an elite inside player that he is.

The underrated calls come from the fact that he has never been All Australian and his best and fairest came in a year the dogs were poor.

Point is that his list of awards and accolades doesn’t reflect the quality of player he is which is absolutely true.

West Coast and Fremantle should be merged to keep the AFL competitive for WA and keep the supporters engaged

Tom Liberatore is not underrated or unheralded despite how many times we hear it. As evidenced by the fact that every time he goes near it the commentators gush over him and mention his "underrated" he is. He is pretty clearly recognised as an elite inside player that he is.
Corey enright effect?

Luke Beveridge is the coach who should be under the most scrutiny this year. The talent on that list is ridiculous but some of the decision making is bizarre. Very frequently having 4 or 5 ins and outs week to week, playing 4 similar tall, non-pressure forwards, recruiting Lobbe when you have an abundance in that position, etc.

Put a decent coach in charge of that group and I see them as favourites for next year’s flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke Beveridge is the coach who should be under the most scrutiny this year. The talent on that list is ridiculous but some of the decision making is bizarre. Very frequently having 4 or 5 ins and outs week to week, playing 4 similar tall, non-pressure forwards, recruiting Lobbe when you have an abundance in that position, etc.

Put a decent coach in charge of that group and I see them as favourites for next year’s flag.
I thought this thread was for unpopular opinions

Women shouldn't be umpiring AFL games. One of the players on Friday night got a 50m paid against him because he couldn't hear her voice calling out stand. You could hear very clearly how much further the male umpires' voices carried and why he wouldn't have been able to hear her over the crowd noise. We also have to avoid putting them in the middle of the ground to pretend there isn't an issue with the centre bounce and upper body strength.

Players should be getting fined for wearing ankle socks over the long, traditional socks. Andrew Demetriou stamped it out, however it's unfortunately been relaxed by old Gil.

Teams should have 100% control where they play home games. The fact Geelong play Pies at the MCG is a joke.

End of the day it’s just about money which shouldn’t come before fairness.
Agree. I doubt this is unpopular.
However, Geelong might be happy playing the pies at the G if they get a % of all home game gates. But the decision should come from the home team.

The Saints stick-man pre-season jumper looks really good

I would like to see teams get more creative with their second jumpers. Move away from their design and colourways and change them more often in the same way European soccer clubs do.

Carlton with a yellow/green/orange jumper, navy monogram, would sell a heap more jumpers year on year and more importantly actually solve the issue of a clash. Currently it’s just half assed where we try to keep as much navy on the jumper as possible. Almost at the point where you just wear white shorts and save the hassle.

I would like to see teams get more creative with their second jumpers. Move away from their design and colourways and change them more often in the same way European soccer clubs do.

Carlton with a yellow/green/orange jumper, navy monogram, would sell a heap more jumpers year on year and more importantly actually solve the issue of a clash. Currently it’s just half assed where we try to keep as much navy on the jumper as possible. Almost at the point where you just wear white shorts and save the hassle.
I tend to like some of the 'retro' look jumpers that have a little bit of heritage in them. The saints one this year has the 80s stick man in it.
Freo can always go back to their original jumper for clashes. IIRC the swans had a really nice design based on their early 90s kit.

Personally I don't like the idea. North are Blue and White. Our colours should always be that. Same goes for all clubs and their respective colours. There are zero jumper clashes in the AFL if both teams just have a light and dark kit. Anything else is just a money grab.

controversial but i i guess this is the place for unpopular opinions.

wish we wore normal tshirt like jerseys like every other sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back