Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest Injury Update 14th May …

😡

Player

Injury

Update

Matt CarrollGroinRemains on a modified program for at least another month due to groin soreness.(Update: 30 April)
Adam CerraHamstringExperienced a hamstring strain in win over Melbourne.
Availability: to be reassessed in Round 13. (Update: 14 May)
Matthew CottrellFootUnderwent scans which revealed navicular stress reaction. Club will work through rehabilitation plan in coming weeks.
Availability: to be reassessed following the Club's Round 14 bye. (Update: 14 May)
David CuninghamWristExperienced a calf strain during VFL on Friday.
Availability: to be assessed in Round 13. (Update: 14 May)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Sam DurdinConcussionHas entered concussion protocols after VFL game on Friday.
Unavailable for selection this week. (Update: 14 May)
Lachie FogartyWristAvailability: 1-2 weeks. (Update: 14 May)
Jesse MotlopHamstringAvailability: one week. (Update: 14 May)
Hudson O'KeeffeHamstringExperienced a high-grade hamstring strain at training on Sunday.
Availability: 8-12 weeks. (Update: 14 May)
Marc PittonetFingerUnderwent a minor procedure on a finger injury sustained during win over Melbourne.
Availability: test. (Update: 14 May)
Adam SaadHamstringAvailability: one week. (Update: 14 May)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)
Zac WilliamsGluteAvailability: test. (Update: 14 May)

Long time reader and it's been a while!

If you read between the lines, I don't think Walsh's progress is going to plan.

- If Walsh was getting better, then Voss would have at least suggested something positive in his presser today. Instead, he diverted the question completely. Never heard of someone flat out refuse to give an update on an injury when everything is going to plan.

- They are waiting for the bye to pass on bad news to members as its less distracting for the club and gives some time for the dust to settle. Rightly or wrongly, I can see that thought process happening. It's not as if the club are always upfront and honest about injuries in a timely manner.

To argue my own point:

- I am reading way too much into the presser. Voss was genuine in his response.

- They still don't know what his timeframe is and have been told to keep their mouths shut as his progress is changing week by week.

- macky99 mentioned he was running at the club over the weekend. This could be true. That's a good sign.

My gut feel: They say he is out indefinitely but don't give a number of weeks, and just say he won't take part in the first part of the season (until they figure out if he needs another surgery behind closed doors).

Fingers crossed!

Hope you're wrong....but suspect you're right.

Ash Hansen's turn to answer the Walsh question.

He said Sam's good but stopped at that. "He's good he's good, yep. We will update more round 3'

Then asked how Weitering was and said he's progressing well and went on to mention that he was participating in some drills.

I am trying to not overthink this, but read between the lines, it's becoming ominous news re Walsh. Fingers crossed.

That's from the AFL website.

Club hasn't updated the injury list yet.

Hopefully an update today.
Looks to me like we submitted to the AFL (which is probably mandatory) and haven't got around to public release.
Martin has updated from 2-3 to 1-2 and Motlop from 1-2 to 'test' since the last club update 4th March. The others were all flagged as update after bye at earliest.

Doesn’t sound promising for Walshy.
I think the Doc Injury is going to be a bigger loss than we may have thought.
The midfield depth is getting to be a problem.

Mid-season draft get some mids in pronto. My quip about bringing Ed back in during the mid-season draft may not be too far fetched. Knows the gameplan, the team, the coaches and we know he'll give it all out on the field when given a game. Or if not Ed, is there a recently retired mid we could look at who could take one of our 2 spots?

Kennedy is playing large chunks of the game forward, and Carroll was the sub last week. Elijah Hollands coming in after the bye, Cunners and Fog both playing forward, and Ollie Hollands playing both inside and out too. Our midfield depth is almost the least of our worries

Yeah terrible😉
Cripps, Cerra, Hewett, Kennedy, Carroll, Elijah Hollands and Cuningham, with cameos from Ollie, Fog, Marto and the small forwards. Walshy will be back at some stage.

We may elect to grab a mature short term back up for the twos in the mid season draft, but we are not short of options at all.
Hollands, E. is a long term mid, who will have to play more forward, Cuningham is already in that boat due to our many options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theres every indication the coaching staff have a good idea how long Walsh will be out for but are stage managing it. Can just see the CFC round 3 injury update on the website now.

Weitering Set to Return!
(Bottom of the article in small letters) Walsh out for 3 months

And the Heraldsun
Walsh to Miss Half the Season!
(Bottom of the article in small letters) But Weitering to Return

🤣🤣

Looks to me like we submitted to the AFL (which is probably mandatory) and haven't got around to public release.
Martin has updated from 2-3 to 1-2 and Motlop from 1-2 to 'test' since the last club update 4th March. The others were all flagged as update after bye at earliest.

They just take the most recent club injury report and do the maths. Not an update from the club.

Not sure why the club can't update us now regarding Walsh. They clearly know things aren't progressing as hoped. Martin has been listed as 1-2 weeks for the past month.

All we want is some transparency. Not too much to ask.

Nothing the club has put out regarding Sam Walsh has been a lie. They have said for a while that he won’t play the first 2 Rounds and that is what has happened. Today, Ash Hansen said there will be an update around Round 3. Maybe Sam plays in Round 3.

Nothing the club has put out regarding Sam Walsh has been a lie. They have said for a while that he won’t play the first 2 Rounds and that is what has happened. Today, Ash Hansen said there will be an update around Round 3. Maybe Sam plays in Round 3.
Transparency isn't about whether they've lied, it's about not giving the full picture. If they know now he's ****ed for the year, tell us that, we don't pay hundreds of dollars a year to be kept in the dark.

Agree with all of that but the last part. I think it’s pretty clear he won’t be playing round 3 when you read between the lines

Remove this Banner Ad

Back