Autopsy 2024 Round 1 Blues hold on in yet another heartstopper

Who played well for the Blues in Round 1 vs the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think Newman or McGov had particularly great defensive games but that’s probably due to how unsettled the whole backline gets with Young and Kemp.
I think Newman had a very solid game and McGovern was nice and attacking. Cannot fault their games, thought Newman was one of our better players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They say you’ve gotta learn to “win ugly”…

Take the 4 points and run

That was pretty ugly.

What can we fix up though?

Kicking to our forwards has been a problem for a long time and still is.

Who went onto Hopper at half time? He had 20 at half time and only 4 in the second. Was that Carroll?

Clearances / contested posessions was a problem. Cerra and Hewett were well down.

I don't want to individualise it but Ollie needs a rest. Binns deserves his chance and Ollie has been well beaten again tonight. Maybe Walsh takes his spot anyway.

Adding Motlop up forward might help.

North next after a rest. Good chance to find another gear. Maybe we'll win by 2 goals!

If I am concerned, what I am concerned about is Tom De Konning.

Nankervis - to be honest, every single Richmond ruck - treated him with utter contempt tonight. He didn't just assume the space, he stood there and invited Tom to do whatever he wanted. In his position, his ribs were available, his head was available, his knees and groin were available; what does Tom do? Absolutely ******* nothing. He doesn't try and force Nank to do anything different; Nankervis just ******* set up under the ball and ******* grabbed it out of the ruck.

To say that the rule change which removes HTB as an option in that situation is dumb is missing the point. Despite the goal he kicked and his last 10 minutes, Tom got smashed tonight by his refusal to get dirty. He wants the clean tap, the massive leap, the globetrotters play, but there's more to rucking than just tapping the ball.

You need to be willing to hurt your opponent some. At the moment, Tom's a labrador when we need a rottweiler.

Back