B: Hardwick, Frost, Impey
HB: Mitchell, Scrimshaw, Sicily
C: Jiath, Ward, Amon
HF: Moore, Lewis, MacDonald
F: Breust, Chol, Ginnivan
FOL: Meek, Newcombe, Worpel
INT: Maginness, Hustwaite, Massimo, Weddle

Perhaps?
Mackenzie played pretty well two weeks ago...Why drop him after a bad game?

Needs to be dropped for constantly taking short steps going to a contest,or doesn’t go at all, or his flimsy one arm attempts to tackle. Has talent, but is very soft. Can go back to Box Hill until he toughens up.
Got a few noses out of joint around here a few weeks ago when I dared suggest he was a one way runner and should have been dropped.

No where to hide any more

With all the doom and gloom on the main board about this week. I would just let you guys know that Will Day has put on some size. He is starting to look like an inside mid. Can't wait for week 7
I hear he's close to the 90kg mark.

Quite incredible when he was drafted at 70kg.

He's gonna be our Fyfe. Can't wait.

The list is the list and we can’t magic up a new set of players. We can’t drop everyone who has/is underperforming.

We can demand improved effort, focus and consistency. All of this is coachable. If they come then confidence and improved skills will follow.

Despite what we saw at the weekend, and assuming none of the injured players are fit enough to play, I’d change MacDonald for Morrison and Serong for Butler. Play Amon on wing. Play HH from the start and Nash to sub.

I would like Cooper Stephens to play.

He was recruited as a mid from Geelong and is a former Top 16 pick. That puts him much higher than 90% of our squad as a draftee.

In that trade Ollie Henry went to Geelong (already made Cats much better), Tom Mitchell went to Pies (second best on in GF) and we have got nothing from this player or trade. It annoys me that we allowed those 2 teams to get markedly stronger, gave up Mitchell for less than nothing and now this touted player is not getting a game at a time when our midfield is literally the worst midfield in our history. Seriously, 14, 10 and 10 possessions for our top 3 mids? Hustwaite had 11 and only played the second half...

Time to see if that trade is truly an absolute bust, or if Stephens is one of those guys who are good at AFL level once they step up. Whatever criticism there might be of him, he cannot be any worse than what is being dished up in the middle. Time to see if he can make it. Otherwise, it looks like he is a delist at the end of the year.

Got a few noses out of joint around here a few weeks ago when I dared suggest he was a one way runner and should have been dropped.

No where to hide any more
You are spot on, I have said it for a while now. He looks like he would love the luxury that being an AFL player brings, but doesn’t want to do the grunt work that comes with it. Would want to change it up fast, or that privilege of being a professional footballer won’t be there anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because there is no way you can go in with the same midfield unit after that performance, and Mackenzie was the one subbed at half time.
Butler should have been subbed. Then take out Nash and leave in HH. At least Mackenzie has put together a couple of performances where you can see he is developing.

The midfield has under performed all year....He's not been the worst of them.

Mackenzie played pretty well two weeks ago...Why drop him after a bad game?
Agree with this but I reckon part of our problem might be the ‘natural’ order of selection within our squad based on the year they were recruited.

By this I mean MacKenzie has to ‘wait his turn’ as does Hustwaite.
Hopefully we are now passed this phase.

Butler should have been subbed. Then take out Nash and leave in HH. At least Mackenzie has put together a couple of performances where you can see he is developing.

The midfield has under performed all year....He's not been the worst of them.
I am really not keen on dropping Cmac 2. You can see his development and we need to promote that.

He was recruited as a mid from Geelong and is a former Top 16 pick. That puts him much higher than 90% of our squad as a draftee.

In that trade Ollie Henry went to Geelong (already made Cats much better), Tom Mitchell went to Pies (second best on in GF) and we have got nothing from this player or trade. It annoys me that we allowed those 2 teams to get markedly stronger, gave up Mitchell for less than nothing and now this touted player is not getting a game at a time when our midfield is literally the worst midfield in our history. Seriously, 14, 10 and 10 possessions for our top 3 mids? Hustwaite had 11 and only played the second half...

Time to see if that trade is truly an absolute bust, or if Stephens is one of those guys who are good at AFL level once they step up. Whatever criticism there might be of him, he cannot be any worse than what is being dished up in the middle. Time to see if he can make it. Otherwise, it looks like he is a delist at the end of the year.
He's absolutely miles off it.
I'm assuming he's delisted without playing a game.

It’s him or Ward if we bring in Jiath as a winger.
I think id rather see Ward go down and play him right in the guts. He and Nash. Let them go and get a couple of 30+ disposal games and get a feel for the footy again.

Ward on the Wing for me just isn't working.

Jiath on a wing would really help give some leg speed/run and carry through the mid that our fwds are probably desperately craving.

I am really not keen on dropping Cmac 2. You can see his development and we need to promote that.
I agree mate. I would like to see him get more time on ball. He's had some moments where i've thought... there is a real player in there. Hasn't put it together for a 4 quarter performance. But compared with what he showed last year, im looking forward to seeing what player he becomes.

If he can't get a game after such a poor performance from all the players he's competing for a spot with, then when will he ever?

Give him a go.

I think id rather see Ward go down and play him right in the guts. He and Nash. Let them go and get a couple of 30+ disposal games and get a feel for the footy again.

Ward on the Wing for me just isn't working.

Jiath on a wing would really help give some leg speed/run and carry through the mid that our fwds are probably desperately craving.
I’d go Ward into the guts with Hustwaite, Nash and Mackenzie drop out and Jiath plays the wing. Mackenzie earns his stripes back, Ward backed in but has to perform.

Good lord if relative draft position is the metric we are going to base team selection on then Ginnivan and Breust will be the most potent VFL small forward duo for quite some time. I’d really prefer to select our team based on their present form not where they were drafted 4.5 years ago.

I agree mate. I would like to see him get more time on ball. He's had some moments where i've thought... there is a real player in there. Hasn't put it together for a 4 quarter performance. But compared with what he showed last year, im looking forward to seeing what player he becomes.
His biggest issue currently is the physicality. Last year it was the speed of the game that he struggled with.

To his credit you can see he has put some effort to trying to be better at these but no quite there yet.

But definitely worth persisting with him as he has greater scope than Nash to turn into a game breaker. But Nash being a more mature body, is preferred to him in the centre because of the physicality alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back