2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

He's up against some tough competition for KPD spots, but Andrews is back looking closer to best form from a few years ago despite the best efforts of the players up the field to make his life a misery. Leads the league for intercept marks (35, second best 29) and third for contested marks, equal first for intercept possessions and second for spoils. Also going at 91% disposal efficiency on 15 disposals/game.

Weitering and Taylor have both been very good in better sides though.
Quietly putting together another excellent year. Would be interested to see the reverse Coleman stats on all the defenders, but so far Andrews would be right in the conversation (despite playing for a team not going well)

In the team:
Ruck: Gawn (C)
Midfield: Merrett (VC), Heeney (although likely to be named on a HFF)

I really hope the selectors don't put Heeney at the HF line as it would be such a lazy decision as it means they can easily fit in another midfielder into the team. Heeney is not playing at HF this year. In fact the reason he has had a major uptake in form is because he has been moved away from the HF line.

Andrews was shocking for a month before the last two weeks. Hes a hope but surely he isn’t ahead of Taylor, Weitering, McCartin and McKay at least.
Not sure about that at all. Has been one of our best all year and has been single handledly keeping us in games while the rest of the team collapsed. On pretty much every statistical measure (baring the reverse coleman which I havent seen - but I think hes actually doing fine on it) he's been one of the best defenders all year

Andrews was shocking for a month before the last two weeks. Hes a hope but surely he isn’t ahead of Taylor, Weitering, McCartin and McKay at least.
Lever's season is being highly over looked

Not sure about that at all. Has been one of our best all year and has been single handledly keeping us in games while the rest of the team collapsed. On pretty much every statistical measure (baring the reverse coleman which I havent seen - but I think hes actually doing fine on it) he's been one of the best defenders all year

His opponents have been kicking goals on him all year. There’s surely at least 4-5 defenders ahead and that’s not even including ones like Barass either

His opponents have been kicking goals on him all year. There’s surely at least 4-5 defenders ahead and that’s not even including ones like Barass either

Apart from the Carlton game on McKay, I don't think think that's actually the case. Payne, and at times Lester, have had multiple goals kicked on them. Andrews has otherwise been pretty solid defensively.

Apart from the Carlton game on McKay, I don't think think that's actually the case. Payne, and at times Lester, have had multiple goals kicked on them. Andrews has otherwise been pretty solid defensively.

And a few other games, wasn't he on Miochek in the Pies game vaguely remember that as Brody was in my fantasy team. Fritch was pretty influential in the Melbourne game too. Look I like Andrews but if he's picked ahead of Weitering, Taylor, McCartin, Lever, Barass, McKay they are kidding. Brisbane would need to finish in the top 6.

B: Ryan Pearce Vlastuin
HB: Sheezal Andrews Houston
C: Merrett Green Butters
HF: Heeney McKay J Cameron
F: Hogan Curnow Miers
Foll: Gawn Rowell Serong
Int: Waterman Rozee Whitfield Yeo

Out: Steele, Taylor, Fritsch
In: Andrews, Waterman, Miers
C: Merrett Butters Gulden
HF: Heeney McKay Miers
F: Rankine Curnow J Cameron
Int: Waterman Daicos Yeo Lever

In: Daicos, Lever, Gulden, Rankine
Out: Rozee, Hogan, Green, Whitfield

And a few other games, wasn't he on Miochek in the Pies game vaguely remember that as Brody was in my fantasy team. Fritch was pretty influential in the Melbourne game too. Look I like Andrews but if he's picked ahead of Weitering, Taylor, McCartin, Lever, Barass, McKay they are kidding. Brisbane would need to finish in the top 6.

Payne played on Mihocek and Starcevich played on Fritsch (who had 5 disposals and 2 goals, 1 in dead time). Andrews got coaches' votes in the Melbourne game with 5 intercept marks and 8 intercept possessions.

I think Taylor and Weitering deserve to get picked over him, but IMO the others you mentioned aren't that far ahead of him (if at all).

Payne played on Mihocek and Starcevich played on Fritsch (who had 5 disposals and 2 goals, 1 in dead time). Andrews got coaches' votes in the Melbourne game with 5 intercept marks and 8 intercept possessions.

I think Taylor and Weitering deserve to get picked over him, but IMO the others you mentioned aren't that far ahead of him.

Fair forgot Payne was on him knew it was one of the two, but I'd have the others clearly ahead. McCartin has been our second best player all season and we are leading the comp. McKay has been a stack better, good reason Essendon are 5th. Lever has been better than Andrews but here or nay there thats the 50/50 one.

Feels like the defence is more and more based around two pillars and the good defences having one or two really good pillars who are stopping a lot of entries. Assuming Taylor stays on the park, picking the 2nd KPD is going to be extremely difficult and there's a lot of names to pick from.

Think Ryan should have that pocket "tall" spot at the moment, been back to his previous AA best for us so far this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In some teams I find it hard to understand that between the number 1 defensive team Melbourne and the number 2 defensive team Fremantle there’s not one defender worthy of AA?

Defence is a system and involves most of the team. AA is for individual players who are standouts in their positions.

So freo have changed the system from last year and has nothing to do with the form of our Captain and former AA Ryans return to form?

Why are you so aggro about it? Pearce has been mentioned many times in this thread, Ryan has had his moments.

Freo beat bottom 4 side with half their players out and you chuck a wobbly if someone doesn't include a Freo player in a weekly team.

Finally can post in this thread.

Barrass and Waterman in the mix but none of them are locks. Yeo was pushing it but this injury will damage his claim to a spot.

Otherwise it's great to actually be somewhat competitive again (touch wood).

C: Merrett Butters Gulden
HF: Heeney McKay Miers
F: Rankine Curnow J Cameron
Int: Waterman Daicos Yeo Lever

In: Daicos, Lever, Gulden, Rankine
Out: Rozee, Hogan, Green, Whitfield
Not sure Rankine is quite there yet. Continues recent form then probably.

The coaches went with Holmes BOG on the weekend in a losing side. That's coaches votes 6 times from 8 games for him now - albeit usually he's been in the lower-mid end of votes. It's still enough to have him 17th on the overall leaderboard as a half back flanker who rotates on the wing. Doesn't have the near AA season beforehand though so as a youngster will probably be overlooked.

Nic Martin hasn't quite been in the coaches votes as much but has put together a stellar 6 weeks or so too. Does have a season in the bank that people took notice.

The issue for them is that midfielders get chosen on the wings and Gulden rightly will also have a wing spot locked. Then there's a lot of strong rebounding defenders, some of which are more "classic" defenders (Stewart, Ryan, Blakey, Vlastuin). Spots will be tight.

For these half back flankers that are pseudo run and gun wingmen, you have an elite performing cast so far: Whitfield, N.Daicos (although can be argued as an outside mid), Holmes, Martin, Sheezel and Houston. Any could be considered somewhat unlucky to not be in the side. I'd hope we get some rebalancing of what the "traditional" team make up is to cut an inside mid and have an extra of these elite outside players in.

The forward pockets are changing every week. If Rankine hasn't good enough to make the team then who has? 16 goals and 9 assists is a terrific return. Fritsch and Miers the other serious contenders right now, and quietly Ollie Henry.

Round 8 update

B: Andrew McGrath - Alex Pearce - Jake Lever
HB: Max Holmes - Sam Taylor - Nick Blakey
C: Errol Gulden - Isaac Heeney - Zach Merrett (C)
HF: Marcus Bontempelli - Harry McKay - Jeremy Cameron
F: Izak Rankine - Charlie Curnow - Jake Waterman
R: Max Gawn (VC) - Caleb Serong - Zak Butters
I: Nick Daicos - Patrick Cripps - Matt Rowell - Elliot Yeo

3 - Carlton, Sydney
2 - Essendon, Fremantle, Geelong, Melbourne, West Coast
1 - Collingwood, Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast, Adelaide, GWS, Port Adelaide
0 - Brisbane, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda

Last edited:
FB: Ryan Taylor Vlastuin

HB: Holmes Lever Blakey

C: Gulden Heeney N.Daicos

HF: Bontempelli McKay Miers

FF: Moore Hogan J.Cameron

FOL: Gawn Serong Merrett

IC: Butters Rowell Houston Cripps

Weitering, Waterman, Whitfield and Rankine easily could've made it. Yeo out just on expected lay off, Stewart out for similar reasons needing a couple of strong games at least after an average return game. Fritsch is thereabouts too. Curnow remains high impact "stats wise" with great goals/assists numbers but his actual performances have been good-ish rather than amazing.

The forward pockets are changing every week. If Rankine hasn't good enough to make the team then who has? 16 goals and 9 assists is a terrific return. Fritsch and Miers the other serious contenders right now, and quietly Ollie Henry.

Round 8 update

B: Andrew McGrath - Alex Pearce - Jake Lever
HB: Max Holmes - Sam Taylor - Nick Blakey
C: Errol Gulden - Isaac Heeney - Zach Merrett (C)
HF: Marcus Bontempelli - Harry McKay - Jeremy Cameron
F: Izak Rankine - Charlie Curnow - Jake Waterman
R: Max Gawn (VC) - Caleb Serong - Zak Butters
I: Nick Daicos - Patrick Cripps - Matt Rowell - Elliot Yeo

3 - Essendon, Carlton, Sydney
2 - Fremantle, Geelong, Melbourne, West Coast
1 - Collingwood, Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast, Adelaide, GWS, Port Adelaide
0 - Brisbane, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda

3 from Essendon?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back