Political Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if Barnaby lied as a hobby, if would be fair game?

If he lies, its perjury and let him be charged with it.

Is it negligent? Probably. Is it worth all this kerfuffle? Absolutely not.
The Deputy PM is ineligible to be in parliament, and that's not a big thing? Joyce becomes Acting PM whenever Turnbull is out of the country... and he's not eligible to be in parliament. You don't think that's important?

The Deputy PM is ineligible to be in parliament, and that's not a big thing? Joyce becomes Acting PM whenever Turnbull is out of the country... and he's not eligible to be in parliament. You don't think that's important?
Because of an administration oversight not because he killed a kitten or used public/member money to add to his election slush fund.

Because of an administration oversight not because he killed a kitten or used public/member money to add to his election slush fund.
If he's careless enough to overlook this, what else is he getting wrong with his main job?

That's a silly position to have though. He probably forgot to put the bins out one night as well.

(although I fear I posted the exact same comment about the Greens a few weeks back!)
Failure to put out the bins isn't illegal according to the Australian Constitution.

not really "illegal" is it. It's just having to do something but not because of other priorities.
It puts him in breach of the Australian Constitution... a document which is fundamental to our democracy, and which you seem to think is optional (take it or leave it, depending on the whims of your beloved Liberal party). It's not optional, it's the cornerstone of our democracy.

George Brandis showed true leadership today. Well played. As for Pauline.....par for the course.
First time I've ever had any respect for anything Brandis has done.

Kudos to Brandis for doing the right thing on this occasion.

It puts him in breach of the Australian Constitution... a document which is fundamental to our democracy, and which you seem to think is optional (take it or leave it, depending on the whims of your beloved Liberal party). It's not optional, it's the cornerstone of our democracy.
It is a piece of law and like all law is open to interpretation, which is why matters get referred to and adjudicated by the High Courts. The constitution states if you are a citizen of a foreign state you can't be an MP. The High Court has then adjudicated a "reasonable steps" principle of that. For example if an MP went through the process of renouncing their overseas citizenship, but they was not processed by the other country, then that is "reasonable steps" and that person can continue as an MP.

And fair enough.

But the Constitution says if you are a citizen of a foreign state, you can't be an MP.

So which is it?

Reasonable steps, or the Constitution is fundamental to our democracy, bla bla bla?

I know your answer. Yes, but reasonable steps, how can you hold someone to account when theyve done all that is in their power to do.

Thats what the High Court is to adjudge.

You agree with me that there is a line of interpretation (despite "fundamental to our democracy" - you've given me the yeah, but defence)

All we are arguing about is where that line is.

I know your answer. Yes, but reasonable steps, how can you hold someone to account when theyve done all that is in their power to do.
Herein lies the problem for Baaanaby - he hadn't "done all that is in their power to do". He didn't even take the basic first step of checking to see if he was a dual citizen.

He's taken "reasonable steps" now, regardless of how long it takes the NZ government to process his renunciation. He hadn't taken those steps before he nominated for the 2015 election. He hadn't taken any steps at all.

** I do accept your argument that the constitution, like all Law, is subject to interpretation by the courts - that's the whole reason for the High Court's existence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herein lies the problem for Baaanaby - he hadn't "done all that is in their power to do". He didn't even take the basic first step of checking to see if he was a dual citizen.

He's taken "reasonable steps" now, regardless of how long it takes the NZ government to process his renunciation. He hadn't taken those steps before he nominated for the 2015 election. He hadn't taken any steps at all.

** I do accept your argument that the constitution, like all Law, is subject to interpretation by the courts - that's the whole reason for the High Court's existence.
I do love that it happened to Baaaanaby. Couldn't have planned it better if they tried.

Politics in Australia...
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...lled-complete-dictator-by-john-darley/8817462

John Darley quits NXT to avoid expulsion, describes Nick Xenophon as 'a complete dictator'

Nick Xenophon's representative in the South Australian Parliament, MLC John Darley, has quit the party and has slammed its figurehead as a "complete dictator".

Mr Darley resigned a day before he was expected to be expelled for siding with the Labor Government against party policy.

Senator Xenophon called for Mr Darley to go one step further and resign from Parliament, suggesting the MLC had been elected under his brand.

But Mr Darley has refused to quit.

"Absolute nonsense. Rubbish. There's no way I'm quitting the Parliament," Mr Darley said.

"I will endeavour to see out my term until 2022 and as a result of his actions I will make sure I'm still there in 2022.

"He [Senator Xenophon] adopts a dictatorial approach. A complete dictator. It's either Nick's way or the highway.

"He will not entertain any opposition at all. In fact, he runs away from opposition."

So it was Labor's leader in the senate Penny Wong's Chief of Staff Marcus Ganley who colluded with NZ Labour MP Chris Hipkins to have the "Barnaby Joyce" question raised in the NZ Parliament.

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2017/08/15/18/47/alp-staffer-who-quizzed-hipkins-identified

The plot thickens, their first discussions took place ' a couple of weeks ago', seems there was more than Fairfax involved in this stitch up.

So what's the problem? Isn't the relevant issue whether Barnaby is a dual Aust/NZ citizen rather than how and by whom the facts were revealed?

So what's the problem? Isn't the relevant issue whether Barnaby is a dual Aust/NZ citizen rather than how and by whom the facts were revealed?
With the Libs it's all deflection, rather than accepting the result of their own inaction. Complete lack of integrity on display by the Government on this issue.

And it now turns out that Mr X may also be a UK citizen. He renounced his Greek citizenship, but didn't realise he was also a British Citizen into the bargain. He's now been added to the list of MPs being examined by the High Court.

To be honest, I don't mind the MPs and Senators not resigning until the High Court has decided on their eligibility (expected to happen next week). However, they should be forced to stand down from any ministerial positions, and abstain from any votes, until the High Court makes its decision. The Greens were probably a bit hasty in resigning straight off the bat - they showed integrity by doing so, but it may (however unlikely) turn out that their resignations were unnecessary.

** Full credit to Canavan, who did exactly the right thing - resigning from the ministry, and abstaining from voting in the Senate, while he waits for the High Court to hear his case. It's a pity that Baaaanaby and Nash don't have the same integrity.

Can anyone tell me, when a person is born in Australia to a NZ parent, hypothetically ... let's call them Barnaby, would the NZ govt be told that his father had a child? How would the NZ Govt even know?

With regard to a person who is born in NZ and then migrates, let's call him Scott, it would be obvious as the NZ hospital would have a record.

Can anyone tell me, when a person is born in Australia to a NZ parent, hypothetically ... let's call them Barnaby, would the NZ govt be told that his father had a child? How would the NZ Govt even know?

With regard to a person who is born in NZ and then migrates, let's call him Scott, it would be obvious as the NZ hospital would have a record.
It's become farcical, all Federal Parliamentarians should be made to volunteer for a complete audit of their citizenship status or be expelled. Get it over and done with for once and for all.

It's become farcical, all Federal Parliamentarians should be made to volunteer for a complete audit of their citizenship status or be expelled. Get it over and done with for once and for all.

Make it a preselection requirement too so we don't have half a dozen pollies referred to the High Court

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back