List Mgmt. 2017 - Trading and Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about langdon in the crumbing small forward role, rotating with walters. Both are mobile and can run up and down the field as a link up option through the forward half
That's what he was doing the start of the year, and doing a bloody good job of it. I think we really missed him during the 2nd half of the year.

p.s. happy birthday!

Is Wilson required? At the right price yes, but we have Duman, Carter through academy to develop, Tucker already getting
limited game time.
Duman and Wilson shouldt be even named in the same sentence. You are comparing an A grader to a c grader.

Our issue is our midfield not linking with our forward line because our young mids with quality disposal are having to play down back because of the lack of quality depth in hbf position.

Ryan and Wilson will provide two quality players to free up the likes of S hill Blakely and Weller

Keen is different from have offered if I not mistaken .

I am keen on that player,.not sure whether we should table an offer for him after Geelong exit from final .

Last edited:
Is Wilson required? At the right price yes, but we have Duman, Carter through academy to develop, Tucker already getting
limited game time.
So let me get this straight...we dont need wilson because we have a guy who plays same position but not really the same player on our rookie list already and another kid whos not even on our list and at best being able to contribute meaningfully (provided he makes it) earliest 3 years away....ah big footy at its finest .......the mind boggles ,seriously

You come across as the sort of person who gets told what specific part they need for their car,do research concluding said part is indeed required ,talk to others who also concur but ultimately end up paying for the cheap imitation part all because you believe the price of the original part was 'not worth it'....and consequently only for your car to break down 6 mths later and you end up paying more than you would have originally

So let me get this straight...we dont need wilson because we have a guy who plays same position but not really the same player on our rookie list already and another kid whos not even on our list and at best being able to contribute meaningfully (provided he makes it) earliest 3 years away....ah big footy at its finest .......the mind boggles ,seriously

You come across as the sort of person who gets told what specific part they need for their car,do research concluding said part is indeed required ,talk to others who also concur but ultimately end up paying for the cheap imitation part all because you believe the price of the original part was 'not worth it'....and consequently only for your car to break down 6 mths later and you end up paying more than you would have originally
What about you thought ( Wilson ) worth the price and decided to bought him at a higher value and in return he breakdown middle of next season and never been the same player he used to be .

Thing go both way. ( Risk and Reward)

Menzel's marking and kicking are elite but as has been mentioned, his lack of forward pressure could be an issue in our forward line. Except for maybe Ballas and Walters, nobody in our forward line is good at applying pressure which is why we've seen the ball ran out of our forward 50 with ease the past couple of seasons. I'd take Menzel ahead of Matera.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are people thoughts on Menzel?

Great skills, but lacks forward pressure.

We reportedly have offered him a contract, and him being a RFA should mean we don't need to give up a draft pick.

I like him. Always have. Very clever and is an upgrade on Kerstin and on his form from this year, McCarthy too.

What about you thought ( Wilson ) worth the price and decided to bought him at a higher value and in return he breakdown middle of next season and never been the same player he used to be .

Thing go both way. ( Risk and Reward)

Wilson at least offers an observable body of evidence at the highest level otherwise known as a track record. The other possibilities are players yet to prove themselves but which offer hope. Big difference.

Matera, Wilson, Aliir, Menzel, Mountford.

Those 5 plus a few draft picks would be a great get. I think GWS will want pick 5 if we get Wilson, similar to McCarthy deal last year.
The only way I see us trading 5 for Wilson is if GWS get picks 7 and 8 from the Saints and we get one of those in return.

I really don't see the downside to having Wilson, Duman and Carter on our list and firing. For a start, Duman has played on the wing before and as a tall player with speed it is probably a good spot for him in the future. Secondly, depth is required to be finals competitive. And finally, I just don't see good AFL players being so one dimensional that they cannot play in different roles. Mundy and Fyfe our stand out examples of players not playing the roles they were playing when drafted.

Bonus extra point, good depth players have trade value if that eventuates.

Our list is poor at the moment.

If we get the 25 yr plus recruits it will get a few more wins in the short term but medium/long term it will hold us back.

For me, we need more quality in the 18-23 year olds.

Go after the kids like Fisher, Bolton, Acres, Cripps etc.
Three of the four recruited last season were just out of that age range, which is good. But I am happy to spread the age range a bit deeper if there is value and they are going to be best 22 for 5 years or so.

Plus
Duman and Wilson shouldt be even named in the same sentence. You are comparing an A grader to a c grader.

Our issue is our midfield not linking with our forward line because our young mids with quality disposal are having to play down back because of the lack of quality depth in hbf position.

Ryan and Wilson will provide two quality players to free up the likes of S hill Blakely and Weller

So where is Ryan graded after what ten games? In a rebuild you develop players and show faith.

Why pay retail? I like the idea of Wilson at the right price, but just like JJ, players always look better in top 4 teams.
imagine what we would of paid for McCarthy originally, and how much better he looked at GWS, and that list goes
on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back