Club History Best Port Adelaide cameos

Remove this Banner Ad

Dale Laube might've only had a brief league career but he had a name to make any movie star from the Golden Age of Hollywood jealous...

Chris Naish had a bit of fanfare in his Richmons heyday but hasn’t a blink and you missed it stint at the Pah.

There was a Craig Bradley lookalike named Brenton Cole who looked a million bucks in a couple of games in the very early 80's.
He was from the west coast zone, but from memory only came down for one season and then went home.

Rod Burton was a tough as boot leather full back who had a solid career at Port, but played more than 50 games. His nemesis was Ken Whelan who kicked goals effortlessly on him.
Rod Burton never played at full back,he was a follower and half forward who had his career cruelly ended by a Wayne Phillis elbow which shattered his cheek.
You might be thinking of Trevor McLeod.

Rod Burton never played at full back,he was a follower and half forward who had his career cruelly ended by a Wayne Phillis elbow which shattered his cheek.

I was at a game at Unley oval in the mid 70's when Whelan kicked about 10, and his opponent that day was Trevor McLeod.
I agree that Rod Burton never played fullback.

I can remember Burton playing full back... although as they say 'memories are the best thing in life, ... i think.'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can remember Burton playing full back... although as they say 'memories are the best thing in life, ... i think.'

He did. We tried a few guys back there in the early to mid 70s and Burton was one of them, as was McLeod. He did play other positions but my first memory of him was at full back.

He did. We tried a few guys back there in the early to mid 70s and Burton was one of them, as was McLeod. He did play other positions but my first memory of him was at full back.
Burton also kicked 29 goals - quite the attacking full back!
I can remember him kicking some real long bombs when kicking out

I remember we had Lindsay Mcgie and Kevin Egan come over from Essendon in about '69 or '70 , they were fairly highly regarded recruits , Egan a wingman and Mcgie a key defender , they were o.k but didn't really add that much so they didn't stay that long .
Doug Spiers would've probably played more than 50 but he'd semi retired when I came along to watching and he'd come down from Pt. Pirie I think just to play finals for a couple of years there .

There was a Craig Bradley lookalike named Brenton Cole who looked a million bucks in a couple of games in the very early 80's.
He was from the west coast zone, but from memory only came down for one season and then went home.

Wore number 33 which was at that stage our highest number in the seniors.

Scott Cummings is a weird one.

I never really relate to him as a Port player but he was handy in our first few years in the AFL.

How many seasons did the Rhino play for us?

Seemed to me like only 2 or 3, but he did win a Magarey as the worlds shortest, fattest ruckman.

Wade Thompson played a classic cameo in that NAB Cup game week 1 v Sydney in Canberra in 2009. Looked a million dollars, played ok next ones, but was hopeless in his 2 games he played at the start of 2009.

Had really high hopes for Jarryd Irons after a notable pre-season and then a couple of impressive games early on in 2011 up against quality opposition (remember looking very lively against the reigning premiers Collingwood on debut).

Got injured and then... nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back