Club History Best Port Adelaide cameos

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott Cummings is a weird one.

I never really relate to him as a Port player but he was handy in our first few years in the AFL.
The first year definitely, he dropped off a fair bit the second. Which seemed to be the story of his career, starting with a bang at each club, before becoming complacent.

Wore number 33 which was at that stage our highest number in the seniors.

I think that was quickly superseded by Anthony Dutch who wore 34. He was promoted to the league side in 1983 for his first game playing against Norwood. He played serviceably in the game at Footy Park and we won by 2 points.

The next week we played Sturt at Unley and were beaten by 114 points. Rick Davies had around 8 goals on him to half time whereupon Dutch was dragged and never seen or heard from again. That was the game where Port discovered Benny Harris could play full back. He held a rampant Davies to 3 goals after half time.

Burton also kicked 29 goals - quite the attacking full back!
I can remember him kicking some real long bombs when kicking out

He was a bit of a utility, playing half back, half forward, on ball but my recollection is of him being most settled at full back. But then that can't have been for long either. Port didn't settle full back between Ray Hayes and Max James (1974-76) and a few guys had a crack there.

But after Max made full back his own and later Greg Phillips went there, then Rod was pretty much a solid reserves depth player.

Kym Curtis. Played CHF in Port's 1979 premiership team. Big athletic country kid, but drove a Port supporting mate of mine crazy with his inconsistency. Every week he played my mate would back in the opposition CHB to be best on ground.

I can't think of the bloke's name (it may have started with a K? ), he was a small defender who came down from the riverland in about 1970 when it was our country zone.

He played well in a trial against South Melbourne and was chosen in the league team for round 1, but couldn't get anywhere near the ball, and was dropped to the magoos the next week.
He couldn't get a kick at that level either and by about round 4 his form was so bad that he was wasn't selected for either of the club's teams, and not long after that he went home.

He was cleared to Westies the next year but didn't last long there either.

How many games did Tony Hobby play? I remember him helping kickstart the last quarter comeback against Centrals in the 1972 prelim final.

Very good dentist too. ;)

I thought this was a handy reference for the SANFL side of things until I noticed that Tom Carr does not get a mention :mad:

Although Tommy would be over 50 games, it makes me wonder how many other errors/omissions there may be.

Tom Carr didnt debut before 97, hence why he is not on that list

How many seasons did the Rhino play for us?

Seemed to me like only 2 or 3, but he did win a Magarey as the worlds shortest, fattest ruckman.

Played in 01 and most of 02 but was sacked late in the season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can remember Burton playing full back... although as they say 'memories are the best thing in life, ... i think.'

foxport 1954

Just to make sure my memory wasn't slipping a few gears, I checked some old Advertisers from back in 1974 covering rounds 3-9 of that season.

Rod Burton played full back in 5 of those games (rounds 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7). In round 8 he was named in a forward pocket against Woodville and in round 9 he played centre half back against Centrals. The Centrals game was Trevor McLeod's first game for Port.

In round 5 Port played Sturt at Unley with Sturt winning 26.17 to 12.12. Rod Burton was at full back on Ken Whelan who kicked 10. Michael Graham kicked 8 off a flank. I was fairly sure it was Burton at full back that day because that was my first ever visit to Unley Oval and memorably so for all the wrong reasons.

The round 3 game against Glenelg was Andy Porplycia's first game for Port, where he kicked 4 goals and was 6th best. Port won by 53 points.

Rod Burton never played at full back,he was a follower and half forward who had his career cruelly ended by a Wayne Phillis elbow which shattered his cheek.
You might be thinking of Trevor McLeod.
Yep, I remember watching Rod Burton kick a goal from the score board pocket at Alberton. The guy came with a super boot. Tucked in on the boundary line, roughly where the oval gates are, he let go, the ball was still taking off as it went through the goals. By the way straight over the goal umpires head.
Unfortunately, Rod could never cement his place with the A’s.
And, yes that grub Wayne Phillis ended his career but I guess Bay supporters would come back at us by saying Dave Granger ended Neville Caldwell’s career.

Last edited:
I couldn't say for sure, but Robert Dolan, Len Warren and Tony Hannan were all dual premiership players who I doubt would have played 50 games.

Robbie West was a star at sanfl level but his career was cut tragically short in an off-field incident.

Scott Spalding was another quality premiership player who left after one season.

Considering West's injuries, it was quite amazing he came back at all if I remember correctly.

You have to feel for poor Dexter. Slogged it out at Westies for a dozen years for maybe a prelim final and the minute he leaves they come good and Port disappears into a black hole.

Also reminds me of one of my favourite Port players Stephen Curtis who landed at Port in 1983, did the 5 hard years under Russell playing in 1 winning final, then when Jack came back and couldn't stop winning flags misses out.
Stephen Curtis played in an old style bicycle helmet, didn’t he?

Considering West's injuries, it was quite amazing he came back at all if I remember correctly.

He did come back and play a few games but was just a shadow. Such a waste. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back