Another shameful chapter from the Howard years...finally reversed

Remove this Banner Ad

"Ending years of opposition, Australia agreed in 2017 to accept Dili's formal notice to terminate an agreement to split petroleum revenue equally from Greater Sunrise and set a 50-year timetable for negotiating a permanent sea boundary."

"According to media reports, East Timor could receive up to 80 per cent of revenue, but could agree to less if gas is piped to a terminal in the tiny country."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-26/australia-and-east-timor-agree-on-maritime-border/9486752

Downer conned the East Timorese into drawing the maritime boundary in Australia's favour for the sole purpose of getting its hands on the Greater Sunrise Fields.

If I recall correctly, they got ASIS to bug the Timor-Leste Cabinet which is scandalous. There was at least one ASIS agent/operative/whatever who was pissed at being used so some arsehole companies could make more money. Had nothing to do with protecting Australia.

Edit: Sounds like things aren't going well for him https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...or-leste-cabinet-under-effective-house-arrest

They stopped him from testifying at The Hague by confiscating his passport.
The conduct of Downer during the whole process was an absolute disgrace.

Easily the dodgiest deal of the past 20 years.

Good on the Turnbull Government for rectifying it.

Downer should be in jail.

"Ending years of opposition, Australia agreed in 2017 to accept Dili's formal notice to terminate an agreement to split petroleum revenue equally from Greater Sunrise and set a 50-year timetable for negotiating a permanent sea boundary."

"According to media reports, East Timor could receive up to 80 per cent of revenue, but could agree to less if gas is piped to a terminal in the tiny country."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-26/australia-and-east-timor-agree-on-maritime-border/9486752

Downer conned the East Timorese into drawing the maritime boundary in Australia's favour for the sole purpose of getting its hands on the Greater Sunrise Fields.
Thought this was a very late SSM thread.

Country acting in country's best interest is hardly new.

Back in the 70s we let journalists die to curry favour with a close neighbour.

Check the scoreboard pal

And ps get some new material , you've trotted that one out 6 or is it 7 times

Gee that Howard was a peice of work

Bugging. Lying, scheming , war mongering.
Selling the country out and our gold
Yeah

So glad you approve

Country acting in country's best interest is hardly new.

Back in the 70s we let journalists die to curry favour with a close neighbour.
No, we didn't "let them die".
They were warned that it was a bad idea to go in, they went anyway, and paid the price. If one of them decided it would be a good idea to allow themselves to be photographed painting Australian flags on walls, it's a pretty good indication that "press neutrality" isn't going to be an argument taken as seriously as it might have been had they remained a little more circumspect.

What Australia did was to let the matter lie, rather than stir up more trouble. You can argue that that in itself might be a bad thing, there's no need for hyperbole.

From what I understand, this is just about physically impossible with today's technology. The gas field and Timor island lie on different continental plates and there is a 7000 m abyss along the plate boundary. This is why the original plan was to pipe it ashore to Australia where the sea depth is only about 2-300m, and split the revenue. I am unaware of any previous projects that have succeeded in running a pipeline over continental plate boundaries at these sorts of depths.

Good luck to them trying it. It my end up being a situation where they have 80% of zero revenue.

From what I understand, this is just about physically impossible with today's technology. The gas field and Timor island lie on different continental plates and there is a 7000 m abyss along the plate boundary. This is why the original plan was to pipe it ashore to Australia where the sea depth is only about 2-300m, and split the revenue. I am unaware of any previous projects that have succeeded in running a pipeline over continental plate boundaries at these sorts of depths.

Good luck to them trying it. It my end up being a situation where they have 80% of zero revenue.

Even if it's piped to Australia for processing the Timorese will still get 70%, which is a whole lot better than the previous deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Downer doing something in Australia'so interest is shameful?

If I recall correctly, they got ASIS to bug the Timor-Leste Cabinet which is scandalous.

No it would be scandalous if they didnt bother. Intelligence service. Hint in the title.

Belongs here.

DYj5hm3VMAEUuTp.jpg

Well that strongly worded email I wrote to Alexander Downer some 14 or 15 years ago when I was a starry-eyed activist pointing out the scandalous nature of Australia's treatment of the planet's newest state at the time has finally paid off!
Did you cut the letters out, coz that would have been cool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back