Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2018 AFL Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that... looks to be an aggressive running hbf type , his kicking looks a bit underwhelming ... sort of Saad type? . Back injuries make me a bit nervous however.

He's a mid but can play back. As you say, has the pace and can get around guys and take on the game. Very good ball winner. Very clean at ground level. He's going to have a very good year. Agree his work by foot could improve, but he has most other things to be a prospect of interest.

until they decide to go home after 2yrs.

not saying they will, but we know Walsh is a big Lions fan.

If Brisb get a top 2 pick, and if they are concerned about go home factor, then id consider trading down to 3 and seeing if you can get a bounty from a team who is desperate for one of the key forwards. Just like Boston did this past draft.

Schache was also a Brisbane fan.

If Brisbane did not get the sense that a Lukosius or King would commit long term, it wouldn't be hard to flick that pick for a combination of players and/or picks.

There are always options.

If its a season ending injury some lucky club is going to get an absolute bargain I would imagine.

You'd rather not speculate, but even if it is an ACL, he is still probably a top 10 choice.

Being a key forward, it's a longer term investment.

You wouldn't see a Brisbane or Gold Coast investing if that was the case, as both clubs as desperate to get off the bottom to increase memberships and match day attendance, and need to be able to sell that renewed hope to their fanbase.

But you might get a Collingwood as a club desperately in need of a key forward taking that long term plunge. Same goes with Geelong who need a long term replacement for Hawkins. Maybe Melbourne to release McDonald into the back half.

There would still be buyers a plenty. Not all that many clubs have two great key forwards to be able to overlook King.

You'd rather not speculate, but even if it is an ACL, he is still probably a top 10 choice.

You wouldn't see a Brisbane or Gold Coast investing if that was the case, as both clubs as desperate to get off the bottom to increase memberships and match day attendance, and need to be able to sell that renewed hope to their fanbase.

But you might get a Collingwood as a club desperately in need of a key forward taking that long term plunge. Same goes with Geelong who need a long term replacement for Hawkins. Maybe Melbourne to release McDonald into the back half.

There would still be buyers a plenty. Not all that many clubs have two great key forwards to be able to overlook King.

As you say probably not good to speculate.

Still top 10 is interesting.

I was hoping he might slide to our 1st pick at 18 ;).

Having said that let's hope its a minor injury.

As you say probably not good to speculate.

Still top 10 is interesting.

I was hoping he might slide to our 1st pick at 18 ;).

Having said that let's hope its a minor injury.

Pick 18 after compensation picks are received for Lynch, Sloane and Gaff respectively ;)

I just view key forwards from the lens of, it's not what you do it season one, it's what you can do 4+ seasons from now. Any of Collingwood/Geelong/Melbourne can afford to take that time and let him just find his feet in his first season. Anywhere 5-10 wouldn't be an unreasonable spend even if ACL is the result. Joel Selwood is a comparable example doing an ACL around the same stage in his draft year, as a similarly highly rated prospect, and still going pick 7 and being that clear best player from his draft year.

Pick 18 after compensation picks are received for Lynch, Sloane and Gaff respectively ;)

I just view key forwards from the lens of, it's not what you do it season one, it's what you can do 4+ seasons from now. Any of Collingwood/Geelong/Melbourne can afford to take that time and let him just find his feet in his first season. Anywhere 5-10 wouldn't be an unreasonable spend even if ACL is the result. Joel Selwood is a comparable example doing an ACL around the same stage in his draft year, as a similarly highly rated prospect, and still going pick 7 and being that clear best player from his draft year.

I see what you did there.

I had in my head that we recieved pick 18 from Collingwood in some sort of trade;).

He's a mid but can play back. As you say, has the pace and can get around guys and take on the game. Very good ball winner. Very clean at ground level. He's going to have a very good year. Agree his work by foot could improve, but he has most other things to be a prospect of interest.

Schache was also a Brisbane fan.

If Brisbane did not get the sense that a Lukosius or King would commit long term, it wouldn't be hard to flick that pick for a combination of players and/or picks.

There are always options.
Schache was NOT a Brisbane fan. He did have a link to the club through his father having played for the Bears.

Schache was NOT a Brisbane fan. He did have a link to the club through his father having played for the Bears.

I'm aware Schache's father played for Bears. Though he also supported the Lions? In any case, the talk at the time was he wanted to play for Brisbane.

ACL's aren't the death knell they used to be. A year out of the game, no big deal usually long term.

Suspect he'd still go top 3-5 if that were the injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ACL's aren't the death knell they used to be. A year out of the game, no big deal usually long term.

Suspect he'd still go top 3-5 if that were the injury.

Still could, even if it's an ACL depending on who has the pick and what they need.

Pretty certain Selwood never did an ACL. It was a meniscus/cartilage issue that stopped him playing during his draft year.

Pretty certain Selwood never did an ACL. It was a meniscus/cartilage issue that stopped him playing during his draft year.

I knew it was a major knee issue anyway that kept him out and the concern level was very high and saw him drop slightly.

Hey KM can you answer this for me please.

So Tyrone Hayes was available for us last draft through our NGA and Brereton was eligible as a F/S.
We choose not to nominate either and both are playing in the TAC cup this year.

Are we still able to nominate them as over agers if we want or has that ship now sailed?

Hey KM can you answer this for me please.

So Tyrone Hayes was available for us last draft through our NGA and Brereton was eligible as a F/S.
We choose not to nominate either and both are playing in the TAC cup this year.

Are we still able to nominate them as over agers if we want or has that ship now sailed?

Father sons can always be picked in later years.

Same would still apply if still linked in with the clubs academy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back