2nds Crows in SANFL season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly we still had an incredibly inexperienced team today, only 10 AFL listed players. The only AFL experienced players were Gibson and CEY plus Wilson, Fogarty and Poholke who have played 20 AFL games between them. Signorello, Himmelberg, Jarman and Davis are Kids plus Hunter who played his first game in a couple of months.

The Maggotpies had 13 AFL listed players plus Summerton (one of the best SANFL players). Whilst quite a few of them are also Kids, 7 had AFL experience with Trengove, Pittard, Toumpas and Barry having mature bodies plus Lienert who is a very good SANFL player (possibly may play AFL very soon).

The difference for our Twos were we had a few more mature bodies (Gibson, CEY, Wilson and Hunter) plus our top ups played out of their skin. Boyle had a heap of possessions although he did burn the ball a bit, Marini played well and Tharaldsen (third game back after an ACL last year) was excellent.

My assessment is as follows;

Wilson - Clearly BOG, possibly another player in the twilight zone, too good for SANFL but not quite good enough for AFL. Hopefully he will prove me wrong.

CEY - Another very good SANFL game, refer to comments above.

Signorello - After a shocking month of footy, the Sig has given me hope again.

Himmelberg - Modest stats but competed well in the air and has some tricks, could debut against Brisbane.

The FOG - Hard to believe he is still 18, Competed strongly and showed flashes of class but needs to get more of the ball. Probably will replace Tex this week but this is no certainty.

Gibson - You know what you will get, had stacks of possessions but sometimes burns the ball. He also did a bit of tagging in the second half, a possibility to play against Brissy.

Hunter - A great effort after missing so much footy. He is only a Sauce hammy away from an AFL appearance.

Poholke - Solid game, IMHO he will be a much better player next year. He is not a forward, he is an inside mid.

Davis - He continues to show flashes of brilliance but needs to get more of the ball.

Jarman - He is fantastic when he gets near the ball but his body/fitness doesn’t allow him to get near it enough.
My mate said he watched the game and FOG looked like a class above in this game. I am one of the people who think he needs an extended run in the Magoo's but I think you may be right, seems like the logical replacement for Tex right now.

God I cant wait until that kid gets 3-4 preseasons under his belt!

My mate said he watched the game and FOG looked like a class above in this game. I am one of the people who think he needs an extended run in the Magoo's but I think you may be right, seems like the logical replacement for Tex right now.

God I cant wait until that kid gets 3-4 preseasons under his belt!

Also interesting that he played mainly in the centre -perhaps the plan is when he plays SANFL he gets run into his legs. As an 18 year old he looks a level above the other guys, get Rankine and they can cause nightmares for years!

eZkBww.png

Disappointing kicking efficiency there from CEY, Signorello, Himmelberg, Jarman and Davis who all went at 50% or less

Jarman only had 1 effective kick out of 6. That's terrible.
CEY, Signorello mids in heavy contested congestion understandable, the others not so much.
I'll watch the replay later, missed the game yesterday watching U18's football.

CEY, Signorello mids in heavy contested congestion understandable, the others not so much.

Known ball butcher Adam Treloar goes at 55% at AFL level and Champion Data rates that as "below average".

I'd really like to see our inside mids go at above 50% at SANFL level

Known ball butcher Adam Treloar goes at 55% at AFL level and Champion Data rates that as "below average".

I'd really like to see our inside mids go at above 50% at SANFL level

That gale that was blowing to one end was shocking yesterday. You could see our forwards getting into position for a 'normal' kick length from their teammate and it drop short into a Port players hands in the third quarter. We won the game yesterday purely from scoring in the first quarter. The longer the game went, the stronger the wind got. So I wouldn't take the stats from this one result as proof of anything, especially when Treloar gets to play games at Etihad.

That gale that was blowing to one end was shocking yesterday. You could see our forwards getting into position for a 'normal' kick length from their teammate and it drop short into a Port players hands in the third quarter. We won the game yesterday purely from scoring in the first quarter. The longer the game went, the stronger the wind got. So I wouldn't take the stats from this one result as proof of anything, especially when Treloar gets to play games at Etihad.
I watched the last quarter highlights on the AFC website and thought that must be the case. Kicks seemed to be sailing 20 extra meters. Fog kicked one from 55 and it went through 3/4 post height.

I knew he was a long kick, but that's approaching Malcolm Blight territory

I watched the last quarter highlights on the AFC website and thought that must be the case. Kicks seemed to be sailing 20 extra meters. Fog kicked one from 55 and it went through 3/4 post height.

I knew he was a long kick, but that's approaching Malcolm Blight territory

Hunter's one was hilarious, just for his reaction. He kicked it pretty much straight up and the wind took it and it sailed through the goals. The vision of his hand over his mouth in complete shock was very funny. They don't show that on the highlights video though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hunter's one was hilarious, just for his reaction. He kicked it pretty much straight up and the wind took it and it sailed through the goals. The vision of his hand over his mouth in complete shock was very funny. They don't show that on the highlights video though.
Hahaha, I wish I saw that!

The game should go up on 7plus to watch sometime this week. Luckily my parent's recorded the game and with the CrowCast not on last night I went up to visit them and watch the game instead of laughing at macca23.
Yeah I noticed the cast wasn’t up, you guys doing a makeup session or did Feen refuse to do it because Atkins played well?

Yeah I noticed the cast wasn’t up, you guys doing a makeup session or did Feen refuse to do it because Atkins played well?

We will be doing an extended Tuesday cast by combining the wrap and normal TNL, and I'll be on there to cause some havoc and give out a lot of Cockwombling Numbnut nominations :D

There was a legitimate technical reason unfortunately and it would not have been listenable at all.

The game should go up on 7plus to watch sometime this week. Luckily my parent's recorded the game and with the CrowCast not on last night I went up to visit them and watch the game instead of laughing at macca23.

Multi-tasking hey NikkiNoo!! :) Laughing at logic while messing around with those friggin' cats of yours while allegedly contributing to the cast. :p Definitely one of a kind. ;)

1.0mb

1.0mb

who's with me.gif who's with me.gif [0.9mb]

Last edited:
I dont think its any drama to keep BJ for another year
I wouldn't be, his lack of athleticism, speed and size was always going to be a big factor on whether he could be successful at AFL level and unless I'm missing something in the live streams I've been watching of the SANFL he's made no progress athletically or speed wise whatsoever. Think it's time we moved on from the "feel good" story and looked at the cold hard facts.

I wouldn't be, his lack of athleticism, speed and size was always going to be a big factor on whether he could be successful at AFL level and unless I'm missing something in the live streams I've been watching of the SANFL he's made no progress athletically or speed wise whatsoever. Think it's time we moved on from the "feel good" story and looked at the cold hard facts.
As a rookie what is his status and does that need to change? ie he has to be moved off the rookie list or can he stay?

As a rookie what is his status and does that need to change? ie he has to be moved off the rookie list or can he stay?
This is his 2nd year, we can leave him on the rookie list for a 3rd year. The question is why they would want to, given his physical limitations and the strength of this year's draft? They may wish to clean out as many rookies as possible, to take advantage of a stronger than average draft.

This is his 2nd year, we can leave him on the rookie list for a 3rd year. The question is why they would want to, given his physical limitations and the strength of this year's draft? They may wish to clean out as many rookies as possible, to take advantage of a stronger than average draft.
So we can rookie him for a 3rd year. Thank you :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back