QFA Div 2 North

Remove this Banner Ad

How’s everyone’s recruiting so far? And what’s everyone’s predictions?

Mine so far are Seniors
Kedron
Moreton Bay
Hinterland
Ipswich
Wynnum
Redcliffe
Moorooka
Pine rivers
jindalee

Reserves
Redcliffe
Moreton bay
Kedron
Wynnum
Hinterland
Moorooka
Ipswich
Pine rivers
Jindalee

You need to add Gympie to that list - they got the nod last night to be the 10th team in Div 3
A nice 5 hour round trip for most.
A silly decision that won't end well.
Did all the clubs agree to this or was it another quality decision by the powers to be.

Did all the clubs agree to this or was it another quality decision by the powers to be.

Consultation, thats laughable! Yet another ridiculous decision.

Much like the decision to play the Grand Final on a Sunday!

Consultation, thats laughable! Yet another ridiculous decision.

Much like the decision to play the Grand Final on a Sunday!
Yes I heard about the Gf last night.
Play Saturday all year then one game on a Sunday.
No real reason to do it.
Can only suit head office by having a weekend of gf at their home ground I assume.
As for letting in Gympie that opens a huge door.
Any club within a two hour drive from brisbane now becomes eligible to enter.
Could be traveling a long way in a couple of years.
Toowoomba and darling downs Byron and Lismore.
Once you let one in you have to let the others in if they meet the standards.
Shouldn't be too hard to do in division three footy.

Nah they’re in another state I doubt it
Yes I heard about the Gf last night.
Play Saturday all year then one game on a Sunday.
No real reason to do it.
Can only suit head office by having a weekend of gf at their home ground I assume.
As for letting in Gympie that opens a huge door.
Any club within a two hour drive from brisbane now becomes eligible to enter.
Could be traveling a long way in a couple of years.
Toowoomba and darling downs Byron and Lismore.
Once you let one in you have to let the others in if they meet the standards.
Shouldn't be too hard to do in division three footy.

Nah they’re in another state I doubt it
Your that confident in aflq decisions.
That's a huge call given they have tried before and been knocked back because clubs said it was to far to travel.
Letting in Gympie now takes that out of the equation.
Especially now they don't consult existing clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 hours for most?

its a 3hr trip from Ipswich to Gympie according to Google and I have found that is if you drive like a Nanna.

My understanding ultimately on the Northern Rivers teams was that most didnt have 2 sides so didnt meet requirements.

Given it is Gympie and Pomona combined a smart club that is furthest away could request they play their game at Pomona and save another 30 mins or so each way.

The new highway upgrades have made that run a lot quicker than it was even 2 years ago tho.

End of the day it is game on!

You happy about that .
I carnt speak for others but s**t mate I certainly don t like the idea of a road trip to Gympie.
Your another 2 hours longer than us on a round trip.
It is what it is mate we can’t do nothing about but plan, what I do know is that we will have 2 teams when we go up there and hopefully take the points. My biggest concerns are that it’s been tried before and it failed.
But good luck to them for putting their hand up and having the ambition they have we all know there’s a lot of hard work that goes into the season and if things don’t go their way I just hope they keep their numbers that is when we will see how strong they are.

Surly the travel isn't going to be too hard, you will do it once.

It's not that big a deal. Not like your whole Saturday isn't already consumed by football.

Travel in footy is inevitable and I honestly believe that Byron will come into one of the QLD comps soon enough, probably not this one, perhaps a predominate Gold Coast comp like div 2 is at the moment. If Burleigh have another stinker and Kenmore are as strong as I've heard could make for another Gold Coast team in 2020 in D2, if it's ever going to happen that would be the time to do it.

Any player movement in this comp ? Kym, I heard McCrossen maybe lining up down the road from us ?

Kedron have landed them self a Gun premiership Half back flanker.

Why should clubs be consulted out of interest? The comp isn’t put together on locality so why does it matter? Plus relegation/ promotion take away any arguement about location. For all you know it might be onecseason only you have to play them. Afl footy in Qld doesn’t revolve around Brisbane clubs...

Why should clubs be consulted on any changes to any competition.
It's a sign of respect for those involved who pay big money and supply umpires and just about everything else needed to play a game of footy.
Very simple answer really.
The only reason clubs are not consulted on decisions like grand final days and new teams is because aflq know it will cause them issues.
How many clubs would say sure we're ok with a Sunday grand final.
Travel is fine but if your spending 6 hours in a car or bus to play third division footy something's not right there.
Good luck to Gympie but how hard is going to be for them.
If they are not winning than the chances of fielding two teams each week becomes very difficult .
It's fine to have promotion and relegation in place but what happens when your in a division that has you travelling to Byron Lismore towoomba
Gympie gold coast and sunshine coast.
It's only a matter of time before this happens now that Gympie is in.
When you just go with the flow and don t question people then you'll get exactly what you deserve.
Think ahead and realise that two simple decisions made today can have long reaching affects on the existing clubs.
It said a few years ago Friday nite footy will be the fastest growing comp.
Now there are two divisions .
If the above scenario happens there will be even more growth in the one team clubs.
Mostly coming from two team clubs today.
It will also be a Saturday comp.
Just my two cents worth and feel free to rip it apart.

To give some perspective on Gympie / Pomona moving to this division. We were more than happy to continue in what used to be the sunshine coast league before the major changes. We had a strong local 8 team competition at one point. 5 teams folded being North Shore, Bribie Island, Glasshouse and then Caloundra and Noosa's thirds teams. This forced us into a 4 team competition when Hinterland were formerly Nambour and dropped out of division 3 to our division. Nambour left and then Maroochydore's thirds left also. This forced the AFLQ to merge the Sunshine coast and Wide bay competition with no one wanting it. The last three years we have travelled up to 7 hour round trips as far as Bundaberg. This made keeping our best on the paddock every week extremely hard especially with more than 3/4 of the team living very much south of Gympie and Pomona and quite a few players residing in Brisbane itself who have been unable to play for us. This is the best move for our football club in what was at the end of the day a decision forced onto us by the changes beforehand. Any worries about us fielding two teams, we have the numbers and the talent to compete in this division as proven by us knocking off Wynnum in Wynnum earlier in the year. The wide bay league is a lot tougher than most think, and I honestly believe we will be very competitive next year. As bad as travel may be for everyone at the end of the day you only need to do it once. We will be doing majority of the travel also so i'm not sure where any issue is. Please also don't read into our "reputation" too much, which has haunted our clubs for a long time from players of the past. Gympie and Pomona merging should be more than enough to know we are a changed football club if anyone knows enough about the history between the two clubs. Looking forward to the season ahead and testing just how good we really are against you all.

Last edited:
To give some perspective on Gympie / Pomona moving to this division. We were more than happy to continue in what used to be the sunshine coast league before the major changes. We had a strong local 8 team competition at one point. 5 teams folded being North Shore, Bribie Island, Glasshouse and then Caloundra and Noosa's thirds teams. This forced us into a 4 team competition when Hinterland were formerly Nambour and dropped out of division 3 to our division. Nambour left and then Maroochydore's thirds left also. This forced the AFLQ to merge the Sunshine coast and Wide bay competition with no one wanting it. The last three years we have travelled up to 7 hour round trips as far as Bundaberg. This made keeping our best on the paddock every week extremely hard especially with more than 3/4 of the team living very much south of Gympie and Pomona and quite a few players residing in Brisbane itself who have been unable to play for us. This is the best move for our football club in what was at the end of the day a decision forced onto us by the changes beforehand. Any worries about us fielding two teams, we have the numbers and the talent to compete in this division as proven by us knocking off Wynnum in Wynnum earlier in the year. The wide bay league is a lot tougher than most think, and I honestly believe we will be very competitive next year. As bad as travel may be for everyone at the end of the day you only need to do it once. We will be doing majority of the travel also so i'm not sure where any issue is. Please also don't read into our "reputation" too much, which has haunted our clubs for a long time from players of the past. Gympie and Pomona merging should be more than enough to know we are a changed football club if anyone knows enough about the history between the two clubs. Looking forward to the season ahead and testing just how good we really are against you all.
I'm certainly not having a crack at Gympie.
Off course your the ones who will be affected most.
Your going to do what's best for your club and rightly so.
I certainly haven't personally heard anything negative about Gympie
It's a series of bad decisions over the years that has put qld footy in this position.
Your club included.
When you keep changing the divisions and competitions it proves you got it wrong.
Good luck to you but you guys are used to travelling.
Id be more worried about clubs not beaing able to field two teams coming your way.
Plenty of clubs in this comp halfway through the year struggle to put 44 blokes on the paddock 10k away from home.
You might need to think about a few of your extras having a game with the travelling teams .

5 hours for most?

its a 3hr trip from Ipswich to Gympie according to Google and I have found that is if you drive like a Nanna.

My understanding ultimately on the Northern Rivers teams was that most didnt have 2 sides so didnt meet requirements.

Given it is Gympie and Pomona combined a smart club that is furthest away could request they play their game at Pomona and save another 30 mins or so each way.

The new highway upgrades have made that run a lot quicker than it was even 2 years ago tho.

End of the day it is game on!
3 hours from Ipswich, that’s 6 hours travel for a two hour game, makes sense

Bring on the 10 team comp I say! Much better for the competition with Jindalee and Gympie joining in. Like many have said You only have to do it once a year and when footy consumes your Saturday anyway is it really that big of a deal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back