WBBL|04 Season 2018-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone here had experiences with the players. I find them great! They value the support and always stay back to sign stuff and for photos :)

Has anyone here had experiences with the players. I find them great! They value the support and always stay back to sign stuff and for photos :)

They are awesome always are fantastic to fans

I have gotten to be able to regularly exchange letters with a few of them. They stay to chat and really get to know the fans!

Ellyse is fantastic with that actually too they all are. I love the WBBL went to the double header first weekend

Just been reading some theories on here regarding domestic depth, junior coaching etc and it got me thinking about similarities to the women's landscape. Each year in the WBBL I'm finding the difference in volume between young local bowling and batting talent is quite notable and arguably getting bigger.

Looking at players aged 23 and under, the following bowlers we know will probably be (or already are) fighting for national selection over the next ten years:
Holly Ferling, 22 years 355 days (fast)
Piepa Cleary, 22 (fast)
Maitlan Brown, 21 (fast)
Amanda-Jade Wellington, 21 (leg spin)
Belinda Vakarewa, 20 (fast)
Sophie Molineux, 20 (la orth)
Tayla Vlaeminck, 20 (fast)
Lauren Cheatle, 20 (fast)
Georgia Wareham, 19 (leg spin)
Annabel Sutherland, 17 (fast)

Compare that to batsmen in the same criteria and... yikes. First of all, not a long list. Second of all, each of them is just about as established (if not more so) as a bowler or keeper:
Tahlia McGrath, 23
Heather Graham, 22
Ashleigh Gardner, 21
Josephine Dooley, 18

True that Ellyse Perry didn't start churning out consistent ODI runs until her sixth or seventh season, so it's obviously too early to say if Molineux or Sutherland won't develop into dominant scoring machines. BUT, the likes of Meg Lanning and Rachael Haynes were technically sound and very much proven as top order players at the top level by 20 and 23--the same can't be said of anyone in the current system, which might be a bit of a worry for the Southern Stars' long-term future. Immediate future not so bad, especially since the next T20 World Cup is at home and the team with the best bowling attack will win.

For all the investment and programs being put into place, it's not exactly producing heaps of late-teens/early-20s batting prospects. The serious alternative batting options for the national XI are all aged 25-30.

Anyway, just something worth keeping an eye on. 20yo Erin Fazackerley, for example, started off well in Game 1 before running herself out then going cheap in the next two matches. She's getting good opportunity and support at Hobart this year, so it'd be encouraging to see some big scores which in turn gets her more time at the crease for Tasmania.

And btw even though I think there's a great deal of emerging quality in the seam and spin department, doesn't mean I agree with how it's being managed (but that's a rant for another time).

What are the thoughts with Katie Mack getting into the Australian Side? Yes, her WBBL this season has not been great but T20 is all about hit and miss and she will get back on track.

What are the thoughts with Katie Mack getting into the Australian Side? Yes, her WBBL this season has not been great but T20 is all about hit and miss and she will get back on track.

Needs a year or so.

This is a very very good Australian t20 side. Who are you dropping!

Suzie Bates carried the bat for the Strikers with a brilliant 79no out of a total of 132. Strikers are capable of defending that total.

Basically confirming what we already knew, the Strikers are a 2 (wo)man team.
Batting. Yes. But I think they have one of the best bowling units led by Shutt and Wellington.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just been reading some theories on here regarding domestic depth, junior coaching etc and it got me thinking about similarities to the women's landscape. Each year in the WBBL I'm finding the difference in volume between young local bowling and batting talent is quite notable and arguably getting bigger.

Looking at players aged 23 and under, the following bowlers we know will probably be (or already are) fighting for national selection over the next ten years:
Holly Ferling, 22 years 355 days (fast)
Piepa Cleary, 22 (fast)
Maitlan Brown, 21 (fast)
Amanda-Jade Wellington, 21 (leg spin)
Belinda Vakarewa, 20 (fast)
Sophie Molineux, 20 (la orth)
Tayla Vlaeminck, 20 (fast)
Lauren Cheatle, 20 (fast)
Georgia Wareham, 19 (leg spin)
Annabel Sutherland, 17 (fast)

Compare that to batsmen in the same criteria and... yikes. First of all, not a long list. Second of all, each of them is just about as established (if not more so) as a bowler or keeper:
Tahlia McGrath, 23
Heather Graham, 22
Ashleigh Gardner, 21
Josephine Dooley, 18

True that Ellyse Perry didn't start churning out consistent ODI runs until her sixth or seventh season, so it's obviously too early to say if Molineux or Sutherland won't develop into dominant scoring machines. BUT, the likes of Meg Lanning and Rachael Haynes were technically sound and very much proven as top order players at the top level by 20 and 23--the same can't be said of anyone in the current system, which might be a bit of a worry for the Southern Stars' long-term future. Immediate future not so bad, especially since the next T20 World Cup is at home and the team with the best bowling attack will win.

For all the investment and programs being put into place, it's not exactly producing heaps of late-teens/early-20s batting prospects. The serious alternative batting options for the national XI are all aged 25-30.

Anyway, just something worth keeping an eye on. 20yo Erin Fazackerley, for example, started off well in Game 1 before running herself out then going cheap in the next two matches. She's getting good opportunity and support at Hobart this year, so it'd be encouraging to see some big scores which in turn gets her more time at the crease for Tasmania.

And btw even though I think there's a great deal of emerging quality in the seam and spin department, doesn't mean I agree with how it's being managed (but that's a rant for another time).
Looking at the team lists for the 8 WBBL franchises and all of them have only three or four recognised batswomen in their line ups and 10-12 all rounders. Perhaps that is one of the differences between men’s and women’s cricket.

Kaur and Kohli's kross-kontinental klinic at the moment.

Looking at the team lists for the 8 WBBL franchises and all of them have only three or four recognised batswomen in their line ups and 10-12 all rounders. Perhaps that is one of the differences between men’s and women’s cricket.
Definitely makes you wonder how we ended up with Villani as our third seamer in the '17 World Cup, but nvm I'm so over that.

Is Ash Gardner the Malcolm Blight of woman’s cricket? A natural talent who can do the amazing, but also prone to bizarre brain farts.

Last night she scored a glorious 79 off 50 deliveries and follows up with second ball duck this afternoon.

Hurricanes dropped Erin Burns four times today, none of them particularly tough chances. Sixers were clean in the field, vitally so when the pressure was on them with runs flowing during the powerplay. What else can you say.

I guess cricket was the winner in Geelong by managing a full game on such a soggy day. More accurately, Brisbane were the real winners and the Renegades were never truly in the hunt.

Didn't see any of the Stars win, bit of a strange scorecard though. Scorchers set a sub-100 target despite ending their innings with 3 wickets in hand, WBBL|01 vibes.

I guess the 2 Sydney teams are the ones to beat, and everyone else is just trading wins and losses?
Australian Cricket is at its best when NSW dominates the test teams. Men’s and Women’s.

Ellyse Perry is ridiculous. Another 100 today.

6 innings, 2 100s, 3 50s.

Absolute superstar. Was only 62* after 18, then:

6 4 nb6 4 1 1 | 2 4 2 1,W 6 4

She scored 41 herself off the last 2 overs!

Last edited:
Ellyse Perry is ridiculous. Another 100 today.

6 innings, 2 100s, 3 50s.

Absolute superstar. Was only 62* after 18, then:

6 4 nb6 4 1 1 | 2 4 2 1,W 6 4

She scored 41 herself off the last 2 overs!
Current average is 209.5, so she is twice as good as Bradman.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back