Rumour Best football related rumour you have heard from someone you trust

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like you didn't rush to defend known dickhead Jordan De Goey when someone dared to start a rumour about him.

One situation is a bloke who cheated and helped to bring his whole club into disrepute, which led to significant penalties imposed on the club/players.

The other situation is a journo on Twitter with a reputation of bending the truth stating De Goey got in trouble with the law without a shred of evidence, which conspicuously zero other media outlets reported on.

They're both entirely different situations in terms of their impact and their legitimacy. I didn't defend De Goey when it was factual that he was caught drink-driving, but I'll defend the bloke if he's accused of something he didn't do, or if the evidence is plainly not there. Jobe Watson doesn't really have the luxury of being able to say the stories the media reported were rubbish.

This might be common knowledge on Big Footy, but the other day on 3aw, Ross Stevenson repeated a rumour he's heard that if AFL players say they have mental health problems, they don't get drug tested, and there are 20 players on 1 team who claim to have mental health issues

We have enough threads for "discussing" the ASADA issues, I don't think this thread needs to continue being one of them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- At some time between 2010 and 2012 I was having a quiet midweek dinner at a restaurant in St Kilda when i noticed that Jimmy Bartel was seated nearby. He was holding hands across the table and sharing a number of bottles of wine with someone who definitely wasn’t his girlfriend (now wife). The Cats got beaten a couple of nights later over in Adelaide, and I’ve always wondered what impact that night had on his form!

- The week before James Hird went down with his foot injury, a rumour was spread that the captain of an AFL team had been busted with steroids and would shortly suffer a season ending injury

I was told by someone I trust that, during the early noughties, for a number of senior Carlton players, the place of choice to sit back and chill was Adrian Hickmott's bar, and the popular chill out substance was marijuana, imbibed in a private room out the back. Lappin and Whitnall were a couple of names I remember.

Team sure played a pretty laid back style in those days.

Same person also told me that, after Pagan was appointed, Kouta told him that "The club is f%$#ed now" - the meaning I took was that a harsh old school disciplinarian was throwing his weight around, and it wasn't going down well with the players. I guess they went from a younger, supposed "people" person in Brittain to an old, "my way or the highway" supposed "hard arse" person in Pagan in the blink of an eye, for no apparent reason other than Elliott thought that all he had to do to win another flag was to poach a great coach, regardless of the personality of the team.

No way of knowing one way or the other, but I wish we'd backed Brittain in to at least have a shot at it for a few years.

Put the two together, and I don't really blame the players for wanting to shut it all out for a while.....

I was told by someone I trust that, during the early noughties, for a number of senior Carlton players, the place of choice to sit back and chill was Adrian Hickmott's bar, and the popular chill out substance was marijuana, imbibed in a private room out the back. Lappin and Whitnall were a couple of names I remember.

Team sure played a pretty laid back style in those days.

The evidence was certainly clear that Lance Whitnall used to get the munchies.

I went to see the 1995 GF as a guest of the Swan Brewery and a recently retired ex-Eagle was our group chaperone for the trip.

We sat together on the plane over from WA and got the low down on a fair bit of player goss.

He was saying back then at the time, one of the Sandover Medal winners was known to smash the cones before the game and then at half time before they ran back out again.

Pretty much all staff were aware of that and turned a blind eye as he was their best player.

Is there anyone you trust to tell the truth more than Santa Claus.
Last Christmas a friend was playing Santa at a Big Store and just before opening Alastair Clarkson fronted up and said ." I love Christmas and always wanted to be an Elf...please please Santa can I be your Elf today"

Satan didn't want to break his little heart and fortunately had a small elf outfit that fitted Alastair perfectly. The rest is history.
I wonder if anyone out there remembered seeing an elf that resembled Clarko but were too embarrassed to say anything.

PS. Kids faces smudged for privacy

santa.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back