Position 2019 Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking that Taylor Adams is the pick of the pies mids this year.
Think he will be consistent and 105-odd is reasonable. Worry with him is durability.
Grabbed him cheap post-injury last year and with Treloar subsequently out he was going to have the role he seems to score best in.
All subjective, but might look more at Sloane in that bracket, for example. Ceiling a bit higher if it clicks and except for last year more durable.
Pick of ours might be Treloar??? But all wait and see, wouldn't start any one of them tbh.

Elliott Yeo anyone?
Durable - played 24,20,23,25 games in the past 4 years

Averaged 107 2018 which included a random 27 score in round 3
His role is clearly defined.
Think he will definitely go 105-115.
Only in 3% of teams so far.
In Here2tellyouwhy team I do believe. Along with that kent who spoils and intercept marks everrrrything

Elliott Yeo anyone?

He has the skill set to a 115 + player given how fast he can score but has lacked the consistency within games to do it. Its only 2nd year as a full time mid so I would expect a jump in his average unless he starts getting tagged a lot.

Prob wont be in my statrting team but if a couple drop off before rnd 1 he will def be in the mix

Last edited:
Elliott Yeo anyone?

Question marks over his ability to break a tag is all, many WCE fans think oppo coaches will put a bit of time into stopping him this year.

In and around Here2tellyouwhy team I do believe. Along with that kent who spoils and intercept marks everrrrything
Originally he was a lock but I too am worried about the tag.

Finals footy is a different beast and often leads to game style and structure changes.

Yeo got tagged the * in the grannie and gave away six frees but somehow still scored a 90.

This year I see teams running two rucks plus tagging opposition best midfielders. Yeo and Sidebottom will cop it.

Treloar and Shuey will benefit. Probably Beams too.

Originally he was a lock but I too am worried about the tag.

Finals footy is a different beast and often leads to game style and structure changes.

Yeo got tagged the **** in the grannie and gave away six frees but somehow still scored a 90.

This year I see teams running two rucks plus tagging opposition best midfielders. Yeo and Sidebottom will cop it.

Treloar and Shuey will benefit. Probably Beams too.

Yeo is also going from having Lycett and NicNat hitting it down to him, to having Hickey.
Can't be a good thing.

Still think teams will try to tag Shuey instead of Yeo. Yeo's a beast but Shuey is more damaging by foot.

As for that 27 score, it was just a random game where he tagged Dangerfield for 90% of the game so West Coast would win before they released him.

Don't think it's going to be a thing now that he's actually established himself properly as a decent midfielder.

Oliver is pretty close to full training and from reports has worked really hard to get back. I think he’s looking at a return in the next week or so to full training. He’s in my side.

Edit - Oliver also played with the shoulder injuries for a fair part of the season last year.
Are you at all concerned what effect a fully fit Viney has on Oliver’s output.

Someone posted earlier that in 2018 he averaged mid 120s when Viney was missing but that dropped to 108 when Viney played. Viney, Brayshaw and Oliver is a pretty powerful inside mid brigade, he’s not going to be the clear go to like a Cripps for Carlton or Fyfe at Freo.

Had Oliver the last few years and loved him but nervous about him this year

Elliott Yeo anyone?

I'm always concerned with players post Premiership .....last year, if any player was to challenge that view, it was going to be Dusty ...sadly he just confirmed to me, be wary of post premiership players (Yeo)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seb Ross anyone considered / considering?
Finished last year well, has the ceiling.
Just out of interest.
Have had him the last 2 seasons, 2017 he had a great start (other than rd 1) I brought him in after the byes and it back-fired, his scoring wasnt as consistent, started with him in 2018 and his scoring was incredibly frustrating most of the year but came good at the end of the year. Can have 30+ pos games and still score below 80, seems to need alot of pos to score well which is making it hard to select him this year with Hanners coming in and other players possibly improving.

Im thinking about starting him again this year but right now im leaning more towards J.Steele.

Still think teams will try to tag Shuey instead of Yeo. Yeo's a beast but Shuey is more damaging by foot.

As for that 27 score, it was just a random game where he tagged Dangerfield for 90% of the game so West Coast would win before they released him.

Don't think it's going to be a thing now that he's actually established himself properly as a decent midfielder.
I liking Shuey purely for his discounted starting price

Someone posted earlier that in 2018 he averaged mid 120s when Viney was missing but that dropped to 108 when Viney played. Viney, Brayshaw and Oliver is a pretty powerful inside mid brigade, he’s not going to be the clear go to like a Cripps for Carlton or Fyfe at Freo.

I think the Viney effect is something to consider. But there’s also natural improvement in Oliver to come. Viney is also an option if you’re looking for a POD. I wouldn’t be picking him ATM but if he plays a full season he could break out SuperCoach wise.

I’m picking Oliver as it stands.

He has the skill set to a 115 + player given how fast he can score but has lacked the consistency within games to do it. Its only 2nd year as a full time mid so I would expect a jump in his average unless he starts getting tagged a lot.

Prob wont be in my statrting team but if a couple drop off before rnd 1 he will def be in the mix
Shuey will be tagged b4 Yeo IMO

My take is that Oliver is that young that the poor scores he mustered while Viney was in the side was more a reflection of his lack of experience at the time, just like any 2nd or 3rd year player. A mountain out of a molehill whenever I see that comparison being made.

I liking Shuey purely for his discounted starting price

As a keeper, though? Big fan, but it would be a late breakout. Rucks not quite as strong this year, even midfield etc.

Have had him the last 2 seasons, 2017 he had a great start (other than rd 1) I brought him in after the byes and it back-fired, his scoring wasnt as consistent, started with him in 2018 and his scoring was incredibly frustrating most of the year but came good at the end of the year. Can have 30+ pos games and still score below 80, seems to need alot of pos to score well which is making it hard to select him this year with Hanners coming in and other players possibly improving.

Im thinking about starting him again this year but right now im leaning more towards J.Steele.
Cheers for the detailed reply, he seems to have the capacity to rack up big scores and give premium output if you can time your run correctly, as you say. Hadn't ever considered him until it was mentioned and am currently looking at other options first, but he is genuinely interesting. :thumbsu:

My take is that Oliver is that young that the poor scores he mustered while Viney was in the side was more a reflection of his lack of experience at the time, just like any 2nd or 3rd year player. A mountain out of a molehill whenever I see that comparison being made.
Guess there are a finite number of points / contests, Viney / Brayshaw share should increase.
Might not impact him, they might share it around enough that it doesn't matter.
That, the shoulder stuff, some time fwd late last year might be reason for some to wait and see.
Even if he doesn't hit the heights, he won't be a disaster,he's too good a player for that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back