Position 2024 Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah agree. If you're maxed out cash wise, I really like Rozee for a similar spend with Port's early draw.

Can I ask a potentially silly question?

I've heard the above line (Port's early draw) used for Butters, Houston, etc but if you are getting a keeper, you're getting them for the whole season so what difference does the early draw make?

I would normally say that early draw is a consideration for a rookie or a 'stepping stone' (so you can maximise their $ gain) but not for a keeper. Is it the view that Rozee is underpriced and will not be this cheap again?

P.S. I did have a few $$ left after punting Jackson following our discussion - so have opted for a Libba/Zerrett type over Rozee as they have shown they can go 115+ before (in Zerrett's case, the last 4 years).

I've heard the above line (Port's early draw) used for Butters, Houston, etc but if you are getting a keeper, you're getting them for the whole season so what difference does the early draw make?

I would normally say that early draw is a consideration for a rookie or a 'stepping stone' (so you can maximise their $ gain) but not for a keeper. Is it the view that Rozee is underpriced and will not be this cheap again?

P.S. I did have a few $$ left after punting Jackson following our discussion - so have opted for a Libba/Zerrett type over Rozee as they have shown they can go 115+ before (in Zerrett's case, the last 4 years).
You're right, it is somewhat inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. With someone like Rozee, you're correct, I'm picking him for the whole season. From my own personal perspective, I like my premos to make a hot start as I'm always prioritising overall rank, and if I'm up near the top of the standings early, it gives me a bit more flexibility later in the year and mitigates the need to make desperation moves to play catch-up.

I also like having a couple of early POD VC/C options, as you can put a bit of a gap on other teams doing that if it works succesfully. The logic at the end of the day is that a lot of coaches will jump on players after a hot start, and by already having those guys, you're a step ahead if that makes sense.

Completely fair re picking a solid guy like Zerrett/Libba. Can't really go wrong there. Personally just bullish on Rozee going to the next level this year. Seems primed.

You're right, it is somewhat inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. With someone like Rozee, you're correct, I'm picking him for the whole season. From my own personal perspective, I like my premos to make a hot start as I'm always prioritising overall rank, and if I'm up near the top of the standings early, it gives me a bit more flexibility later in the year and mitigates the need to make desperation moves to play catch-up.

I also like having a couple of early POD VC/C options, as you can put a bit of a gap on other teams doing that if it works succesfully. The logic at the end of the day is that a lot of coaches will jump on players after a hot start, and by already having those guys, you're a step ahead if that makes sense.

Completely fair re picking a solid guy like Zerrett/Libba. Can't really go wrong there. Personally just bullish on Rozee going to the next level this year. Seems primed.

My other logic in it is that you might think a player is a good chance to finish in the top echelon for his position, such as Rozee, but I don’t want to pick him up mid season as an upgrade target when he’s averaging 120 & then he averages 100 from rounds 13-23.

Sure he finishes on 110 average, but him as a starting pick & him as an upgrade target are 2 very different levels of pick.

Same with not wanting to upgrade to players you think could be put on ice late - I don’t want to pick Dunkley or Cripps as I reckon as senior big bodied mids in likely finals teams, they’re a good chance for a rest + a sub game late in the year. Sure they might average 110–115 but if they get a 52 & a late out late in the year, you’re stuffed.

Not all about overall averages, sometimes it’s about when you pick them. I often shy away from guys who have not too flash a record & then post a couple of 120-130s early, even if they finish with a 90 average you’re only getting them for say 85ish average

Mostly it’s hubris about having so many trades pre season people are talking about shorting premos for cash.

If you’re more risk averse having early Captain options is an advantage. Plus best 18 over the byes makes these huge scores count for more.

Mostly it’s hubris about having so many trades pre season people are talking about shorting premos for cash.

If you’re more risk averse having early Captain options is an advantage. Plus best 18 over the byes makes these huge scores count for more.
The trades talk has been interesting.

Most now have 3 more than last yr (2 for Yeo owners) and most teams did not have enough last yr to complete aggressive bye flipping mid yr and some were holding Daicos on the bench late etc. But it seems like these 3 trades are going to enable early rookie cashing, early bye flipping, upgrading premos based on draw and multiple other weird and wonderful ideas that have been thrown around.

Will be interesting to analyse post season and see how it's played out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CBF’ed flying to Optus with a dodgey hammy and a bye next week

Rest up, take advantage of the early bye. The season is long

Close watch on Lyons though…

If the lions are playing silly buggers and Neale doesn’t suit up in round 4 he could be one to consider

Lyons is such an interesting case...

Some people have spoken about him being "a watch" in terms of whether he'll score well again or not but that is a furphy because he will score well when he gets a full game. Lyons lowest season average from 2016-2022 is 90 points! He has spent 5 seasons at Brisbane and in his first 4, he played every single game. His season averages were 99, 113, 118 and 91.

After not missing a game for 4 years (and acquitting himself pretty well, including decent finishes in the B&F), he found himself out of the side from the very first round last year (which seems a bit harsh from the outside). He was then only selected for 10 out of 26 games, and was subbed on in 7 of the 10, subbed off in another and just 2 full games. In those two full games, he averaged 24 disposals, 12 contested possessions, 5 tackles, 5 clearances and kicked a goal and an assist (in limited game time). That reads well on the stat sheet but he was again dropped. His SC scores for his 2 full games were 89 and 114.

We'd have to ask Brisbane supporters for more insights on what may have changed from '22 to '23? From the outside, it would seem the arrivals of Dunkley and Ashcroft pushed him out of the middle and that he lacks the versatility to play other roles? If that's the case, has Ashcroft going down opened up a place for him back in the side?

The tricky thing about Round 1 is that we don't know if he was earmarked to be subbed off or not cos Kiddy Coleman went down. We won't know this week either cos Neale is out and Lyons is his obvious replacement.

It seems the sensible play is to either avoid or wait until Round 4 and see if he is dropped/not named sub and get him in then, riding his price increases from then on until the first appearance of the dreaded sub vest. It's a huge temptation however to roll the dice, save a trade and ride the big scores early from a cheap player.

I suppose it would be really interesting to hear from Lions supporters where they think he is positioned? Has he come in to replace Ashcroft and do you therefore expect him to get (full) games again? or is he more likely out of the 22 and about to be replaced by the return of someone?

Martin named on a wing toodle loo.

Don't think team sheets should form the basis of any decision anymore. Hawthorn, for example, have named Dylan Moore at CHF. They just loosely put the selected names on the paper now, without any real correlation to actual role.

Some people have spoken about him being "a watch" in terms of whether he'll score well again or not but that is a furphy because he will score well when he gets a full game. Lyons lowest season average from 2016-2022 is 90 points! He has spent 5 seasons at Brisbane and in his first 4, he played every single game. His season averages were 99, 113, 118 and 91.

After not missing a game for 4 years (and acquitting himself pretty well, including decent finishes in the B&F), he found himself out of the side from the very first round last year (which seems a bit harsh from the outside). He was then only selected for 10 out of 26 games, and was subbed on in 7 of the 10, subbed off in another and just 2 full games. In those two full games, he averaged 24 disposals, 12 contested possessions, 5 tackles, 5 clearances and kicked a goal and an assist (in limited game time). That reads well on the stat sheet but he was again dropped. His SC scores for his 2 full games were 89 and 114.

We'd have to ask Brisbane supporters for more insights on what may have changed from '22 to '23? From the outside, it would seem the arrivals of Dunkley and Ashcroft pushed him out of the middle and that he lacks the versatility to play other roles? If that's the case, has Ashcroft going down opened up a place for him back in the side?

The tricky thing about Round 1 is that we don't know if he was earmarked to be subbed off or not cos Kiddy Coleman went down. We won't know this week either cos Neale is out and Lyons is his obvious replacement.

It seems the sensible play is to either avoid or wait until Round 4 and see if he is dropped/not named sub and get him in then, riding his price increases from then on until the first appearance of the dreaded sub vest. It's a huge temptation however to roll the dice, save a trade and ride the big scores early from a cheap player.

I suppose it would be really interesting to hear from Lions supporters where they think he is positioned? Has he come in to replace Ashcroft and do you therefore expect him to get (full) games again? or is he more likely out of the 22 and about to be replaced by the return of someone?
Yep, he will score if he's in the team. Dunkley in particular impacted him last yr. The high risk play is to take him this week as he'll punch out a ton, but then he misses next week and could be sub in Rd 4 with Neale back. With the Lions playing the first game in Rd 4 it's a good situation to see if he's sub and confirm Neale's fitness.

There's also an argument having him miss next week could be useful to set up a loop for 2 cracks at an M8 score

100% agree with everything you e said

Taking Lyon depends on what (or who) is the opportunity cost

For me I’m picking Lyons or McKercher and I’m leaning Lyons…

1. Likely he’ll outscore McKercher this week

2. Riskier longer term but greater cash gen potential as I feel there are too many gulls at North scabbing up points

3. Lyons already has a ton in the bank with negative BE

4. I can have 2 looks at McKercher. Worse case I rookie correct to him. Best case I benefit from negative POD like all Gibcus non owners

5. I feel Lyons has a point to prove after being a sub merchant last year. Regardless of Neale, Ashcroft out is probably his last chance at 31 years of age

6. I have a sneaky feeling Lions are playing silly buggers with Neales injury and not telling us the whole truth

Note: I also have Berry and one could argue I should dump him instead of Mckercher

But for most of the same reasons I think Berry is worth the risk.

With 40 trades and tons of best 18 rounds, moving back to a pure GnR strategy is most beneficial (especially at start of season)

… and like back in the GnR days, the boomer degen in me is finding it hard to start a 200k rookie

I've been going back and forth on my team, and think I need to get rid of Petracca in order to gain a bit of extra cash, which I'll use to bring in Hayden Young.

Weighing up between Dawson, Serong and Rozee. What's everyones thoughts in general? even for Crows/Freo/Port fans, keen to hear your thoughts on your respective players and who's faring well. Admittedly haven't been keeping huge tabs on them, but had been leaning towards Dawson in Petracca's place.

Was keen to keep Petracca, but just need to trade in order to accomodate other positions. I figure it's not the end of the world as long as I trade wisely!

2. Riskier longer term but greater cash gen potential as I feel there are too many gulls at North scabbing up points

4. I can have 2 looks at McKercher. Worse case I rookie correct to him. Best case I benefit from negative POD like all Gibcus non owners

5. I feel Lyons has a point to prove after being a sub merchant last year. Regardless of Neale, Ashcroft out is probably his last chance at 31 years of age

6. I have a sneaky feeling Lions are playing silly buggers with Neales injury and not telling us the whole truth

Note: I also have Berry and one could argue I should dump him instead of Mckercher

With 40 trades and tons of best 18 rounds, moving back to a pure GnR strategy is most beneficial (especially at start of season)

… and like back in the GnR days, the boomer degen in me is finding it hard to start a 200k rookie

Lyons wasn't best 22 last year. What makes him best 22 this year?

Another player I'm keen to discuss is Andrew Brayshaw.

He's in his prime, had been improving every year up until his MVP in 2022, when he averaged 112. Last year, he still averaged 109. However, I recall his early season form being questioned and it was revealed he was struggling with a knee issue. He came out before the Hawthorn game in Round 8 and said he has had some work done on it and has now gotten it right. Up to that point, he was averaging 91. He came out and smashed 149 and went on to average 117 for the rest of the season (across 16 rounds).

With this, one less bye, good durability (missed 2 games in the last 5 years) and my expectation that Freo will improve a bit, I brought him into M3 with some confidence (despite seeing him in no other teams).

I, however, saw a recent post on here suggesting that with Young (and Fyfe) being afforded more mid time, he is being moved out to the wing and will be getting less CBA's? I don't know anything about the midfield dynamics at Freo but can anyone confirm? Cos I definitely am not interested in paying $600K for a guy stuck on the wing, as good as he is.

(I would have thought you'd move out someone like O'Meara instead - even if he can't play other positions as well)
he will probably sit on the wing on occassion but dont expect him to be actually playing as a winger if that makes sense. id imagine hed start a few CBAs there and be the wing that pushes into the contest and could still see him being able to get a few clearances that way. he will defs not be sitting fat side all arvo holding width thats for sure

Lyons wasn't best 22 last year. What makes him best 22 this year?
Ashcroft's ACL ?

⬆️ this

Plus Zorko’s getting too old and slow to pinch hit in the guts

Last week Suitcase, Dunks and Lyons all had between 45-60% CBAs. Clear gap to 5th (Cam Rayner)

No doubt Lyons is a speculative pick. Otherwise more than 9% of you kents would have him in your team haha

But hey this is SC, if you want a performance guarantee go buy a toaster 😂

IMG_9430.gif

Welcome to the train wreck, J Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back