Position 2024 Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

No LDU love?
I was keen, but have taken him out. Few things,

Injuries
Too many North players - I have Sheezel and Fisher and don't want another premo from a team finishing bottom 4.
His DGAF attitude in preseason. Only a small thing but I like players that keep going when they are having a bad day, it can turn a 65 into an 85 in season.

All that adds up to preferring Serong.

I was keen, but have taken him out. Few things,

Injuries
Too many North players - I have Sheezel and Fisher and don't want another premo from a team finishing bottom 4.
His DGAF attitude in preseason. Only a small thing but I like players that keep going when they are having a bad day, it can turn a 65 into an 85 in season.

All that adds up to preferring Serong.
I posted a while back some stats by Popowski re Serong .....he said, Serong had an unsustainable number of points last year from stoppages .....he said, history has shown it rarely can be backed up in the next year ......very much like Sicily's 10 mark ave per game last year.

Then we add Fyfe, and Young to the equation on Serong

I posted a while back some stats by Popowski re Serong .....he said, Serong had an unsustainable number of points last year from stoppages .....he said, history has shown it rarely can be backed up in the next year ......very much like Sicily's 10 mark ave per game last year.

Then we add Fyfe, and Young to the equation on Serong
Yeah I saw those, but they are Fantasy stats remember so only partly relevant to SC. Inside mids like Serong have so many avenues to score in SC, and he's still getting better imo.

I don't see Fyfe being an issue, he'll get managed/subbed then injured.

I get he may regress, but that's possible for all players coming off their best season. He has the best bye, and Freo have a soft draw this year. Time will tell though.

Yeah I saw those, but they are Fantasy stats remember so only partly relevant to SC. Inside mids like Serong have so many avenues to score in SC, and he's still getting better imo.

I don't see Fyfe being an issue, he'll get managed/subbed then injured.

I get he may regress, but that's possible for all players coming off their best season. He has the best bye, and Freo have a soft draw this year. Time will tell though.
It's also been pointed out Rowell had an astronomical 20 clearances last week in his 137 ......I'm starting to pay more attention this year, to how players have accumulated their big scores ....and their sustainability

It's also been pointed out Rowell had an astronomical 20 clearances last week in his 137 ......I'm starting to pay more attention this year, to how players have accumulated their big scores ....and their sustainability
It can be dependent on specific matches though.

To use the example of Rowell that you raised. He had 26 CP's from 33 possessions with only 5 clangers. But the score blew out quickly so he didn't benefit from scaling, if he does that in a close game it'll be 180.

Players do need a rounded game to be consistent though, Rowell needs a few more marks on the spread to push him up to SP status. He only averages 1.5 over his career. If he can get that up to 3-4 there is an extra 10-15 easy points. He is a lot fitter this year, so maybe that will happen? I think both he and Anderson have another level to go too, it's just a matter of when it happens.

I think Jaiden splits it to "Stoppage" and "Transition" points, with a balance being ideal.

Everyone is obviously entitled to their own opinion but not one person above putting LDU in their top 10 mids does seem like recency bias. I mean we all fall victim to it, Flanders was in our team, then out, now many have him back in. Grundy was the ruck to fade, now some people prefer fading Gawn. If ldu goes 120+ v gws I’m sure some of those top lists change.

The only genuine reason he won’t be top 10 is games played. But you’re injury prone until you aren't. There’s arguments not to start him but North seagulling at the back isn’t one, as Hall, Ziebell etc never impacted his scoring.

Everyone is obviously entitled to their own opinion but not one person above putting LDU in their top 10 mids does seem like recency bias. I mean we all fall victim to it, Flanders was in our team, then out, now many have him back in. Grundy was the ruck to fade, now some people prefer fading Gawn. If ldu goes 120+ v gws I’m sure some of those top lists change.

The only genuine reason he won’t be top 10 is games played. But you’re injury prone until you aren't. There’s arguments not to start him but North seagulling at the back isn’t one, as Hall, Ziebell etc never impacted his scoring.
I think LDU is on a lot of no lists cos of his ability to pull out of a game at the last minute. Even if he just did it once that stuff scars people 😂

The thing with these 600K guys is there is very little between them. There are 12 mids who averaged between 110 and 117 last yr, in 2022 there were 11 of them.

It's highly likely they will be in a cluster again this yr and they won't define the season with their average, however they can define the season with their durability. Having a 600K+ player miss multiple games, losing points and costing trades is a killer. LDU had 4 separate injuries last season, 2 of them soft tissue. Missed 9 games and has never played more than 21 in a season.

I'd prob rather pay a premium for a Bont / Dawson type who are super durable along with no early bye. Not sure on Butters he got through last yr playing every game but has a history of problems plus some PS issues. If I'm taking injury risks it will be with the underpriced value players like Zilliams / Fisher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing with these 600K guys is there is very little between them. There are 12 mids who averaged between 110 and 117 last yr, in 2022 there were 11 of them.

It's highly likely they will be in a cluster again this yr and they won't define the season with their average, however they can define the season with their durability. Having a 600K+ player miss multiple games, losing points and costing trades is a killer. LDU had 4 separate injuries last season, 2 of them soft tissue. Missed 9 games and has never played more than 21 in a season.

I'd prob rather pay a premium for a Bont / Dawson type who are super durable along with no early bye. Not sure on Butters he got through last yr playing every game but has a history of problems plus some PS issues. If I'm taking injury risks it will be with the underpriced value players like Zilliams / Fisher.
And that’s fair enough but you could make a compelling argument against every mid in the comp almost.

Laird and Dawson: more people running through the midfield
Clarry: lack of preseason
Green: Still needs to clean up his DE
Steele: Was last year the norm?
Touk: May never reach previous heights with the growth of others around him now
Etc

To be fair, I’ve never owned ldu, so maybe thats why I’m still high on him. His ability to score is almost like no other. If he stays fit (big if) he could be a top 10 maybe even top 5 mid.

And that’s fair enough but you could make a compelling argument against every mid in the comp almost.

Laird and Dawson: more people running through the midfield
Clarry: lack of preseason
Green: Still needs to clean up his DE
Steele: Was last year the norm?
Touk: May never reach previous heights with the growth of others around him now
Etc

To be fair, I’ve never owned ldu, so maybe thats why I’m still high on him. His ability to score is almost like no other. If he stays fit (big if) he could be a top 10 maybe even top 5 mid.
Pretty fair summary. I guess if I had the choice for my premo to play 23 games at 112 vs 19 games at 115 I'm going with the first one. Just picking the right ones is the challenge

Is anyone conscious of the impact both Young and Fyfe playing more midfield time will have on Serong and Brayshaw? I am Serong's biggest fan and he was one of the first I picked, but I have traded him out in the last week. Just have a gut feeling that numbers may be impacted?

Is anyone conscious of the impact both Young and Fyfe playing more midfield time will have on Serong and Brayshaw? I am Serong's biggest fan and he was one of the first I picked, but I have traded him out in the last week. Just have a gut feeling that numbers may be impacted?
Based on PS Serong still getting bulk CBAs but Brayshaw started a bit on the wing with some CBA reduction.

Butters or Serong? Someone sell them to me - GO!

I like LDU. I remember watching his last 5 or 6 weeks of 2023 thinking he's a lock for SC this year. But $632k is a bit on the steep side trying to fit him in my side. Like 54Dogs mentioned, he missed a fair bit of footy last year in dribs and drabs which doesn't help, either. Definitely a great pick if he plays 20+ games, I can see him maintaining that 113avg at worst.

Last edited:
I am starting Bryashaw. I have some big concerns over his CBA's and how this may impact his scoring if playing on the wing. But i am taking the risk as i still think he will find plenty of the ball. Had 24 touches for 84 points in pre season game, they were soundly beaten in a scrappy game. Think he can go 110-115, banking on Fyfe going down etc.

I am starting Bryashaw. I have some big concerns over his CBA's and how this may impact his scoring if playing on the wing. But i am taking the risk as i still think he will find plenty of the ball. Had 24 touches for 84 points in pre season game, they were soundly beaten in a scrappy game. Think he can go 110-115, banking on Fyfe going down etc.
Brayshaw is a pig. He just follows packs and picks up plenty of junk. He'll find it

Taking my punt on Adam Cerra
ryan reynolds hd GIF

Serong looks like the most pure midfielder of that whole lot. Brayshaw has even been moved outside before him.

Young and Fyfe both have an ability to play in other areas of the ground.

I think I'm taking the punt on Caleb. Should get bulk CBA's again, unless there's a Dockers fan who can talk me out of it.

Serong looks like the most pure midfielder of that whole lot. Brayshaw has even been moved outside before him.

Young and Fyfe both have an ability to play in other areas of the ground.

I think I'm taking the punt on Caleb. Should get bulk CBA's again, unless there's a Dockers fan who can talk me out of it.

Welcome back Caleb

Remove this Banner Ad

Back