2019 Members Convention

Remove this Banner Ad

Monty probably the only one that was interesting out of the line coaches.

Chris Davies was pretty good.

All about Hammers rehab was good s**t too.

The rest - eh.

Co-captains is happening. Absolutely no doubt after today. Big speeches trying to placate members about what makes Port Adelaide who we are. The word tradition was never mentioned.

AFL reserves is coming sooner rather than later and the SANFL are ****** which is amazing and shows exactly why they want a hotel. To hitch their wagon to the AFL in its entirety.

Port Club getting a redevelopment apparently.

Anything from Schofield worth sharing?

Great, 2019 is a bust before R1. Good job team.

Don't get me wrong, I think he argued his points well and astutely but I reserve the right to disagree. He spoke about having some pieces of memorabilia from the last and wondering how those clubs won their premierships and the values they believed in. Said this skull cap from the 1900s would have been viewed as sacred and how it's gone now. Basically was like things change and it hurts but believe it's for the better. To that effect.

We are def getting co captains if KTs speech at the end is anything to go by

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The approach of saying they haven’t made a decision, following a process etc., while clearly buttering us up for a specific outcome pisses me off.

Anything from Schofield worth sharing?

Basically he said we have been working on our positioning at stoppages and creating space for runners. Apparently Ollie had huge development this pre-season in this space. All of it made sense and all of it was addressing problems we definitely had in 2018. So was pleasing.

What did KT say that points you to that conclusion? (I wasn't there).

He talked about our values remaining the same, but acknowledging we don’t know what the future holds and needing to embrace change.

I’m fairly sure the footy dept wants co captains and the board will ratify what they want

So overall it sounded pretty s**t?

The only thing I care about at the moment is onfield performance. Everything else is just piss and wind.

I don't actually want to hear about what you are supposed to be doing I, just want you to ******* do it.

At least 1 of Hinkley, Koch or KT should be gone next year. The club feels stale.

What did KT say that points you to that conclusion? (I wasn't there).
Pretty much that the players don't wear caps like they did in 1914 so change is inevitable and even things seen as traditional must change.

KT doesn't seem to understand the difference between fashion and tradition.

Pretty much that the players don't wear caps like they did in 1914 so change is inevitable and even things seen as traditional must change.

KT doesn't seem to understand the difference between fashion and traditional.
Big Footy went into meltdown when those caps got given the arse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bars did get a mention by KT. Asked for a show of hands on who wanted the PBs back. Didn't see how many hands went up as i was more forward of centre.

He also asked for a show of hands about whether people believed an AFL reserves team was best for us. It was a bit mixed. Obviously a bunch of SANFL diehards which wouldn't be surprising at this type of event.

Chris Davies made a lolworthy comment about if the SANFL were in control they would take all of our money. Then another comment was made about the stupid restrictions on us at SANFL level and how it resulted in us having to shut down the SANFL Reserves.

Long winded and sometimes dark speech about change, saying how traditions in the 1900s are not all that relevant to today. It was painful listening at stages. Left me in no doubt that it was angled to getting supporters to accept change from tradition.

Laid out a bunch of apparent values that make Port who we are, and none of it mentioned history or tradition. It was all loyalty, love for team mates and blah blah.
I am not totally against co-captains but that speech pissed me off.

So patronising.

Telling us what Port should mean to us.

Obviously lubing us up for a co-captains decision but not actually then telling us it hasn't been decided at what is supposed to be a members insiders event.

All in all the event was good but not great.

It would have been nice if some of the coaches had hung around at least 30 mins after their segments to answer a few members questions too.

Instead they rocked up right before their talks and left straight after.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Other thing I felt they wanted to get across was that Wingard and Polec were s**t blokes

Lol definitely alluded to it on the Wingard front. Basically said the Polec stuff it was based on his longevity and insane demands that we thought were irresponsible to match.

Other thing I felt they wanted to get across was that Wingard and Polec were s**t blokes

Yeah, Cripps made some comment about what they take into account when deciding to move a player on and one of the things was along the lines of what they are like in the locker room.

They were clear that Wingard is extremely talented but had significant issues outside of that which were preventing him from reaching his potential.

They also said they knew he was out the door end of 2019 anyway - which is the line they've been pushing for some time.

Geez, between yesterday's largely flat reporting of the intraclub trial and today's of the convention, it doesn't seem like there is much cause for hope or hype around. I really would like Janus to be right about us this year.
The game plan stuff actually sounded very good.

*I wrote a whole bunch of reasons why but then relapsed maybe I shouldn't.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back