2019 Members Convention

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I think if we swim like Ian Thorpe and serve like Raonic I reckon we've got a good chance.

I'd look into some strategy from Ronnie O'Sullivan too and how we can score a perfect snooker.

The following sports are exactly the same tactically:

Basketball
Football (all codes)
Hockey (field and ice)
Lacrosse
Water polo

The objective is to move the designated object (ball/puck) from one end of the field of play down to the other end of the field within the framework of the rules of the game and place the ball/puck in the scoring region (net/goals/basket/endzone). That’s all it is.

That’s why things like pressure, spacing, route running and ball movement are universal across all these sports.

Alastair Clarkson spends every offseason studying soccer, NFL, basketball etc. you know.

The following sports are exactly the same tactically:

Basketball
Football (all codes)
Hockey (field and ice)
Lacrosse
Water polo

The objective is to move the designated object (ball/puck) from one end of the field of play down to the other end of the field within the framework of the rules of the game and place the ball/puck in the scoring region (net/goals/basket/endzone). That’s all it is.

That’s why things like pressure, spacing, route running and ball movement are universal across all these sports.

Alastair Clarkson spends every offseason studying soccer, NFL, basketball etc. you know.
Darts is where it's at.

The objective is to move the designated object (dart) from one end of the field of play (oche) down to the other end of the field (dartboard) within the framework of the rules of the game and place the dart in the scoring region (treble 20 or double to finish). That’s all it is.

Ken would be well advised to study MVG throwing a 9-darter.

Last year at the convention they said that we were a front half football team. It was Lade’s s**t coaching that was the problem. We’ve always done better with a defensive coach in the forward line.

And we aren’t replicating Guardiola. His teams are based around retaining possession and limiting the amount of time a team is in the defensive phase. Bassett was reading about Guardiola last year - that’s why we played that slow and boring style. That’s why we’d have players standing around doing nothing in attacking phases because they wanted to keep their spacing. To play that style you need technically adapt players who can pass with precision. I said that it was like someone read his book but didn’t understand why it was done.

No, there was a distinct reason why we ripped off Liverpool’s ad. We are replicating Jürgen Klopp. I said awhile ago - back at the end of 2017 - that Klopp’s BVB was the style to replicate, not Guardiola’s Barcelona. Klopp is an advocate of gengenpressing (counter-pressing)...all his teams have done it.

"[This style of football is] based on everybody pushing forward with or without the ball and exerting aggressive high pressure after ball losses and, in the process, making it difficult for opponents to counterattack with clarity," reads the UEFA report.

"Liverpool’s modus operandi provided a prime example of effective, high-intensity, collective pressing by a compact block."

"Also, on the counterattack, they’re extremely fast – they have fast individual dribblers. They’re all happy to run in behind without the ball and not always receive it to feet. I think Liverpool summed up a lot of modern-day trends."

His philosophy is also that the defenders have to provide options (like Guardiola), and he hates boring football.

Now, doesn’t that sound more like what we are trying to do with the emphasis on speed and running? That’s why I know guys like Duursma will be getting games early and often. We need those fast players to keep defenders on their heels and create space for our defenders. But we also want a few tall targets that we can kick long to if our opponents drop back, and then rush forward to create pressure if the tall doesn’t mark it.

This is Anfield Alberton :p
But Guardiola wants the possession to happen in the opponent's side of the field. There was NO REASON WHATSOEVER for us to ABANDON the forward press we had in 2017 while implementing a ball-possessive strategy.

We IDIOTICALLY kept the ball closer to the opposition's goal than ours. If we were using this strategically to trap them into pushing forward so we could countering fast, that would have been something understandable. We almost never did that, though.

It was simply impossible to understand what we wanted to do offensively .We looked as if we were moving the ball around for its own sake — which surely can be done, but as a COMPLEMENTARY defensive strategy.

Then again, the question still remains: how do we score? This question seemed to have never come up last year.

The 2017 game plan worked mostly ok, except in games where we didn't have the dominant midfield (so most, but not all of the top 8). The nature of front half football caused us to have close to a league high number of shots per game but our forward line was getting these shots from less than ideal positions due to poor delivery. This, combined with the conversion of certain forwards, caused us to be very inefficient as a forward line and probably cost us the Geelong game and definitely the elimination final.

So to combat this we:

1. Acquired an experienced inside mid to help become more competitive against the top tier midfields (Rockliff)
2. Acquired 2 experienced outside players famed for their delivery inside 50 and conversion, which would hopefully lead to better positions for shots on goal (Motlop, Watts).

Then we inexplicably switched to a really dull, stagnant brand of football that did not allow us to create nearly as many scoring opportunities and the front-half press was never to be seen. I don't think this has ever really been explained.

THIS!

----
----
P.S.:
I'm actually surprised so many people don't seem to realise footy teams move very similarly to Prem teams now, it's like the concept is foreign to some of us despite every AFL team operating completely differently to how they did 10-15 years ago. We literally use all the same terms in attack and defense as they do in soccer. As soon as someone reads a soccer teams name they fall into 70s dinosaur mode!
I use soccer a lot as support to understand footy. That's probably why I have no trouble visualizing what Janus is saying. The games are different, but the translations between the codes do not seem that hard to me.

Last edited:
One of the topics discussed at the convention was the players showing more care and consideration towards each other. Limiting mobile phone usage so as to be in the moment with their teammates was mentioned and was explored in an article in the tiser.

Port Adelaide has introduced a new rule for players and phones after games to help combat social media abuse and build connection as co-captain Tom Jonas praised teammate Jack Watts for his performance on the weekend.

With player mental health widely considered the biggest challenge in the game, Watts on Saturday revealed there were “weeks when I didn’t want to get out of bed” because of the torrent of abuse directed at him over summer following off-field scandals.

Jonas said Power players had decided this season to put their phones away after games and focus on each other.

The group touched on it during the pre-season training camp in Noosa and have since made a rule restricting access to their phones until an hour after every game.

https://outline.com/FpxTNF

Interesting to hear Westhoff say on 5aa last night that the list seems better without Polec and Wingard.. the squad are getting a long with the coaches better and improved in their discipline.

1553566B-E872-482C-8113-F94AB730ACC3.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

aww, March 2019... we were so young and naive.

When they did get it right it was there to be seen. In that first game they did what they said they would. Geelong, West Coast, Essendon, Swans etc at times during the year. But it was too inconsistent.

When they did get it right it was there to be seen. In that first game they did what they said they would. Geelong, West Coast, Essendon, Swans etc at times during the year. But it was too inconsistent.

Yeah, and in fairness, there was no way of knowing the greatest win the club has enjoyed since 2012 would ultimately come against the Sunsfree wooden spooners.

Yeah, and in fairness, there was no way of knowing the greatest win the club has enjoyed since 2012 would ultimately come against the Sunsfree wooden spooners.

The one benchmark that first game did set was for bizarre statements from the coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back