2019 Members Convention

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah they explained several times how by aggressive they don't mean hitting blokes, they mean aggressive in the way we position our players. I.e more offensive and less defensive.

They did however say their plan is to make teams hate playing Port Adelaide by bringing back unsociable footy and how they want the opposition to be very sore after playing us.

Another hallmark of Sydney over the last decade and a half. I remember speaking to Kane after a Sydney loss and he said that no one likes playing Sydney because they batter you and you always pull up sore the next day. Described them as a very tough but fair side.
We don't get our blokes to spend enough time in the gym to play like Sydney to be able to dish out the physical attack on players and players with the ball. We want to be like Sydney but want our players to be skinny middle distance runners - isn't congruent.

View attachment 620599
We exist to fail - welcome to the new aged breed of ingraining it’s supporters to accept mediocrity as a status quo

Seriously, if I was the the President or CEO and my head coach came out with a statement like that, he would be in my office with a show cause, as to why his contract shouldn't cancelled on the spot!

If you want proof that Hinkley should be gone, then this is it. We as supporters and members expect this as a minimum standard from OUR club, at every level, every season, anything less is failure. I bet Clarko goes into every season thinking and planning to win it.

If you want to make our community proud, WIN F**KING PREMIERSHIPS!! And while we are at it Chairman Moi, you can f**k right off with your 'little old blue collar club from Alberton happy to be in the big leagues' bullshit, we EARNT the right to be there, with 149 years of history, determination, success and tradition! All the things you are shitting on with your comments and by setting low standards of achievement.

F**k me, I'm so glad that Fos and Big Bob aren't around to see what we have become as a club,

Last edited:

Seriously, if I was the the President or CEO and my head coach came out with a statement like that, he would be in my office with a show cause, as to why his contract shouldn't cancelled on the spot!

If you want proof that Hinkley should be gone, then this is it. We as supporters and members expect this as a minimum standard from OUR club, at every level, every season, anything less is failure. I bet Clarko goes into every season thinking and planning to win it.

If you want to make our community proud, WIN F**KING PREMIERSHIPS!! And while we are at Chairman Moi, you can f**k right off with your 'little old blue collar club from Alberton happy to be in the big leagues' bullshit, we EARNT the right to be there, with 149 years of history, determination, success and tradition! All the things you are shitting on with your comments and by setting low standards of achievement.

F**k me, I'm so glad that Fos and Big Bob aren't around to see what we have become as a club,

918022A4-49D0-4379-B942-D78E7A8758C1.gif

Attachments

• 2A144F5B-1D46-464C-94F4-41D4AC7E0BED.gif
    2A144F5B-1D46-464C-94F4-41D4AC7E0BED.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 43

If you want to make our community proud, WIN F**KING PREMIERSHIPS!! And while we are at Chairman Moi, you can f**k right off with your 'little old blue collar club from Alberton happy to be in the big leagues' bullshit, we EARNT the right to be there, with 149 years of history, determination, success and tradition! All the things you are shitting on with your comments and by setting low standards of achievement.

It’s concerning that the overarching messaging is one of arsecovering and deflating expectations - to the point where the honchos are signalling that it’s the fans’ issue for delusionally expecting a flag every year like the halcyon Maggies days, or loading up Rooch to peddle tripe about how we don’t appreciate how far the club has come since Matthew Primus drove the Fist Float off the Birkenhead Bridge, etc.

It’s been heartening to hear Thomas and Hinkley both mention and acknowledge last season’s derailment, but only in so much as “the last 6 months”.

Let’s face it, it’s been the last 12 years.

Yes, the Club should aim to win the flag every single year.
Yes, it will be many times harder than doing it in the SANFL, but you need to be focussed and positive from the outset and believe that you can win the whole damn lot.
I always remember that from Cahill's days as coach - that their aim every year was to go top. If it didn't happen, that's life. But they never adopted a mindset that it was impossible. Which is what Ken seems to be alluding to in the above.
Sheeesh!
Indeed our first season in the AFL; we didn't believe the naysayers and think we'd be lucky to win the odd match, we thought we could play a brand of football where we don't give up and don't expect a loss: play every game knowing that there's a chance we can win. And we only missed the finals by % our first year.

If you want to make our community proud, WIN F**KING PREMIERSHIPS!! And while we are at it Chairman Moi, you can f**k right off with your 'little old blue collar club from Alberton happy to be in the big leagues' bullshit, we EARNT the right to be there, with 149 years of history, determination, success and tradition! All the things you are shitting on with your comments and by setting low standards of achievement.

Does it actually say Hinkley said that anywhere there?

Very well said.

In my opinion they seem to conflate that idea with arrogance and a lack of understanding of how difficult it will be when it is not that.

For me it goes back to the very essence of Port Adelaide and why we are different to others.

As a Port Adelaide player you should be expected to win every contest, every quarter, every game no matter what or where it is.

You can still have fun, care for others make your community proud these are not mutually exclusive.

No you won't win every time. But you should expect that as a Port Adelaide Player you will.

and then.....

......should we after striving to our utmost and giving our everything, still not be successful, our efforts will become a further part of this Club's enviable tradition....
Well put! Reminds me of Ebert saying, after winning the premiership, how there were some children supporters who had never seen their team win a premiership because we'd had a 12 year or so drought. That kind of attitude is what we need: our time is always now. Choco's mention of an empty spot in the trophy cabinet that is there to be filled. That kind of attitude is what we need: why wait? the opportunity is now.
If you aren't winning (or striving to your utmost for) premierships, regardless of the quality of opposition, you aren't being Port Adelaide.

Does it actually say Hinkley said that anywhere there?

Ask FishingRick04, it came under the Port Fan Radio banner. It may not have been said at the convention but that is irrelevant. The fact is the statement was made by our head coach and should warrant a please explain, if not by our hierarchy, then by the members.

Last edited:
Ask FishingRick04, it came under the Port Fan Radio banner. It may not have been said at the convention but that is irrelevant. The fact is the statement was made by our head coach and should warrant a please explain, if not by our hierarchy, then by the members.

Fistingrick with a fistingtrick

As i've said before, the tempering of expectations is happening because we're in a rebuild phase and we don't want to admit it because the supporters are already angry.

Letting both of Wingard and Polec go was a sure sign that we're targeting 2022 onwards, not 2019.

Wait until our entire media narrative all year is pumping the tyres of players under 23 and talking about how good we're "going to be".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But is;
Lienert, Clurey, Jonas
Hartlett, Howard, Houston
Any quicker?

We may see
Lienert, Clurey, Jonas
Byrne-Jones, Howard, Houston
Watts, Boak, Motlop
Hartlett, Marshall, Westhoff
Burton, Lycett, Ebert
Ryder, Powell-Pepper, Drew
Rozee, R.Gray, Duursma, Rockliff

As i've said before, the tempering of expectations is happening because we're in a rebuild phase and we don't want to admit it because the supporters are already angry.

Letting both of Wingard and Polec go was a sure sign that we're targeting 2022 onwards, not 2019.

Wait until our entire media narrative all year is pumping the tyres of players under 23 and talking about how good we're "going to be".

We started a refresh phase at the end of 2017 when we dropped Trengove and started playing Howard as a key defender, along with playing Marshall in the forward line. That was when we had Howard, Houston, Bonner, Marshall, Powell-Pepper etc all playing an elimination final. That's why we've turned over 22 players in the space of two years.

Letting go of Wingard and Polec had nothing to do with anything other than not wanting to compromise our list management strategy for the demands of two players who overrated their worth. Polec isn't worth more than Robbie Gray, and Wingard was asking for far more than Polec to stay past the end of next year.

Cripps' projection model of our list performance had us having a dip this year but bouncing back strong next year, way past what we did in 2018. The club expectation is to play finals because that's all they can expect from players that don't have a baseline in terms of finals performance.

hinkley said we won't win the flag every year! let's sack him!
"but we won't win the flag every year"
un-port adelaide!!! get him!!1!!1one!11

I was ready to throw my computer in the bin when someone quoted Schofield as saying words to the effect of "play what's in front of you when moving the ball", but if that's combined with players taking up more attacking positions as others have said, it could really work, provided those positions are deliberate and designed to create space and run, and not just a random spot in front of the ball carrier.

We started a refresh phase at the end of 2017 when we dropped Trengove and started playing Howard as a key defender, along with playing Marshall in the forward line. That was when we had Howard, Houston, Bonner, Marshall, Powell-Pepper etc all playing an elimination final. That's why we've turned over 22 players in the space of two years.

Letting go of Wingard and Polec had nothing to do with anything other than not wanting to compromise our list management strategy for the demands of two players who overrated their worth. Polec isn't worth more than Robbie Gray, and Wingard was asking for far more than Polec to stay past the end of next year.

Cripps' projection model of our list performance had us having a dip this year but bouncing back strong next year, way past what we did in 2018. The club expectation is to play finals because that's all they can expect from players that don't have a baseline in terms of finals performance.

I think we still expected to challenge in 2018, otherwise bringing in Watts and Rockliff looks like an insane decision. If we were genuinely going all out for a flag in 2019, we'd have kept Wingard and Polec because winning a flag is worth throwing your list management principles out a bit.

Despite that, we could still actually win a flag this year given the open nature of the AFL in the current era and the talent we have on our list provided we succeed with the reported more attacking gameplan and hit form at the right time of the year.

Cripps can go suck a lemon, I have zero faith in anything he says.

We started a refresh phase at the end of 2017 when we dropped Trengove and started playing Howard as a key defender, along with playing Marshall in the forward line. That was when we had Howard, Houston, Bonner, Marshall, Powell-Pepper etc all playing an elimination final.

It's still mind-boggling to me that we did that. I can't think of another club persisting with certain players in certain positions all year only to drop them the eve of finals in favour of some incredibly raw young talent.

It's still mind-boggling to me that we did that. I can't think of another club persisting with certain players in certain positions all year only to drop them the eve of finals in favour of some incredibly raw young talent.
In isolation maybe

But:
Impey got drunk and drove into parked cars after losing his dad, we did the right thing to let him go because he was already checked out
Trengove got 4 kicked on him against the Jenkins. He was rightfully fired into the sun.
Chad kept kicking to opposition players in game defining moments and had checked out. He was also fired into the sun
Polec cost us a Semi final and wanted to get paid like he was our best player. To the sun he went
Hombsch got s**t on in the last showdown he played and finished the year with 4 touches v essendon.

There's probably more.

I think we still expected to challenge in 2018, otherwise bringing in Watts and Rockliff looks like an insane decision. If we were genuinely going all out for a flag in 2019, we'd have kept Wingard and Polec because winning a flag is worth throwing your list management principles out a bit.

Despite that, we could still actually win a flag this year given the open nature of the AFL in the current era and the talent we have on our list provided we succeed with the reported more attacking gameplan and hit form at the right time of the year.

Cripps can go suck a lemon, I have zero faith in anything he says.

We brought in Watts and Rockliff because we had money in our salary cap that was going to disappear at the end of 2018 if we didn’t and we wanted to improve our list.

I think we would have kept Polec had he been reasonable and settled for a three year deal. He wanted five. We were never going to break our list management strategy and give him a deal that was better than Robbie Gray or Travis Boak got when they were his age, even accounting for the increase in salary cap.

We said to Wingard to have a look around and see what his worth was. The fact that he ended up signing for the Hawks for less than he was on here showed what sort of player he was. Now he’s still out with that “troublesome” calf.

I’d rather Duursma, Burton and Mayes than Wingard. Because they will improve our list over one talented player. And that’s what it’s about - improving the list to be better than what it was.

In two years time, when we've got banked salary cap that we can use to lure back Rankine or Lukousis, you'll understand why we didn't keep Wingard or Polec.

In isolation maybe

But:
Impey got drunk and drove into parked cars after losing his dad, we did the right thing to let him go because he was already checked out
Trengove got 4 kicked on him against the Jenkins. He was rightfully fired into the sun.
Chad kept kicking to opposition players in game defining moments and had checked out. He was also fired into the sun
Polec cost us a Semi final and wanted to get paid like he was our best player. To the sun he went
Hombsch got s**t on in the last showdown he played and finished the year with 4 touches v essendon.

There's probably more.

I was really only talking about those we dropped from the team before the 2017 EF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back