Autopsy Round 23: Hawks pluck Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

tenor.gif
Ah yes... the famous Dermott Brereton interview immediately after the 1989 Grand Final.

Inspiring stuff.

What a performance buy the 22 out there! We even lost Scully very early on and continued to respond when challenged. A great way to finish the home and away season, C.Wingard continues to excite me off no preseason i would give up 2 Burtons at this rate.

2 notes the form off, Bruest,Gunners,Smithy over the last month back to there best! Where was this form in the first half of the season? Strange one

The move of Mcevoy to c.h.b the last few games, what is the theory behind this Gee whiz, we set up well with Sicily & Scrimshaw as you're traditional half back flanks intercept marks. Perhaps Patton playing fwd is not a forgone conclusion..with Lewis & Timmy o development.

Go hawks!! go the crows for today!!

Last night and the last few weeks we’ve had a genuine, stay at home strength in the forward spine like Lewis and TOB. This means less chippy, switching, sideways rubbish which kills Gunners and Bruest. Almost every play lately seems to be forward and quickly. Chad gets the ball and runs forward, not handballs backward.

The defensive backwards stuff isn’t a game plan, it’s because there wasn’t genuine options forward. That’s changing and quickly and man, it looks good when it does.

I thought big boy went okay down back - doesn’t have the speed to cover quick forwards but his presence, strong marks and where he placed himself I think gave the other defenders a lot of confidence in how they went about playing their role

I do wonder though if the last two games have been about showcasing what Ceglar maybe able to offer other clubs

What a lovely post.
I think you’re right. Simmo will learn from this, expect some tweaks to the eagles game plan before the finals.
The irony is, if we make it, and I don’t expect to, we’ll be playing you again.
While I think the communication lines between Clarko and Simmo that are usually pretty strong, I'd suggest they'd be muted past being mates as until either team are out of the finals.

I can imagine in the way that Simmo did his apprenticeship, Clarko would know that Simmo would do things differently the next time just as you did to us last night and when we beat you at the MCG earlier in the year. Yes you belted us and I know we only won by a point. So you guys needed that % and you took it from us.

We have won one game each this season against each other away from home. It would be fantastic to have another crack at each other for the tie breaker.

But if for some reason you guy(s) or we are out of the finals and the other is still in, I think the old lines of communication open up again on the possibility of more than a social discussion, as I suspect (and purely speculation) may have happened last year between Mitchell, Clarko and Simmo and to a lesser extent Glass on a gameplan for one or a number of the finalists.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned, but Chip chasing and (basically) catching Petruccelle was a thing of beauty.

Not many in the league quick enough to do that!

Has always been pretty quick old Chippa; he can add last night to the time he ran down Jetta all those years ago

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recruit 2 or 3 key position players this off-season and we are set.

Gunston, Breust, Sicily and O’Meara should all be far better next year for various reasons.

Lewis, Scrimshaw, Worpel, Hardwick, Nash and Jiath will all continue to improve.

The one who needs a big pre-season is Morrison. He was the most disappointing player this year.

The one who needs a big pre-season is Morrison. He was the most disappointing player this year.

Not sure what he can bring to the team or position he can make his own.
If he was a better mark he could try and re-invent as his number-sake, the lovely kicking spring heeled Kenny Judge.
But I don't see it.
Best suited as a link man on the wing but doesn't have the foot speed to run both ways.

Gunston, Breust, Sicily and O’Meara should all be far better next year for various reasons.

Lewis, Scrimshaw, Worpel, Hardwick, Nash and Jiath will all continue to improve.

If Cognilio and Mitchell come into the team, that pushes everyone down the order.
I would suggest any love for Morrison be parked, like Moore he just won't make it, not enough tricks.

Whereas Hanrahan, has a future, speed, awareness and like Breust can spin on a dime.

Add Smith🤓👏

If Cognilio and Mitchell come into the team, that pushes everyone down the order.
I would suggest any love for Morrison be parked, like Moore he just won't make it, not enough tricks.

Whereas Hanrahan, has a future, speed, awareness and like Breust can spin on a dime.

And right now, if theres an injury, if Howe isnt in the team already, hes always in the possibles it seems

Still have question marks on Hanrahan, but he is a bit behind the others in his draft year. Needs a big pre-season and to put on some more size. Never rated Morrison, but think, due to his elite endurance, Moore deserves a little more time. Not sure what to think of Miles. Hasn't had a look in but seems to have played some good games for BHH.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back