FTA-TV Uk cop shows - shadow line, top boy and more

Remove this Banner Ad

Seen both. Deadwind is a decent Scandi, Trapped has a likeable lead character (seemingly a rarity in this kind of show), and is enjoyable without blowing you away.

Neither are 'UK shows', though! Deadwind was on Netfix here, Trapped was shown on BBC.

Seen both. Deadwind is a decent Scandi, Trapped has a likeable lead character (seemingly a rarity in this kind of show), and is enjoyable without blowing you away.

Neither are 'UK shows', though! Deadwind was on Netfix here, Trapped was shown on BBC.
I know, sorry! Just thought this would be the best place. I can’t get enough of crime dramas, doesn’t matter how many I seen, I still love them.

Been really enjoying Silent Witness too, underrated.

I quiet enjoy watching these UK mini-series. They are usually short, sharp and really well done. What is disturbing is that a lot of them are based on facts and actual events. The most disturbing was the series about the four young girls that were groomed by the Pakistani paedophiles. Can't remember the name of it. It may have been Four Girls.
Anyway, life in the UK must be grim if they can keep producing series after series based on real crime.

I quiet enjoy watching these UK mini-series. They are usually short, sharp and really well done. What is disturbing is that a lot of them are based on facts and actual events. The most disturbing was the series about the four young girls that were groomed by the Pakistani paedophiles. Can't remember the name of it. It may have been Four Girls.
Anyway, life in the UK must be grim if they can keep producing series after series based on real crime.
It was called Three Girls.

Yes while I really enjoy these types of series, they often not easy watching when they are based around actual events.

not sure if this fits the bill (see what i did there) but i'm 2 episodes into Deadwater Fell and it's reasonably good. not great by UK drama standards but watchable and i'm an unabashed David Tennant fan.

next on the list is White House Farm, again mostly cause im a Stephen Graham fan although he has copped some flack for his performance in this...i'll wait till all episodes have aired so i can binge it though.

finished White House Farm. the story itself is compelling, the TV show not so much. all the actors seem more like caricatures than characters.
having read up on the story I'm about 97% sure they got the right guy but I don't think he should have been convicted based on the evidence presented at trial and the way police completely ballsed up the investigation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With some element of crime, The Trial of Christine Keeler provided some good moments. The dialogue was a little annoying but Sophie Cookson and James Norton both perform well. The series has a very strong political theme but it proves that pollies are lying pieces of s**t not matter what era they belong to. Nothing has changed in that regard, hey Scotty?

That one was very uneasy to watch.

Couple of new ones from me.

The Capture - starts on ABC TV this Friday. A bit futuristic but not beyond the possibility of reality. Pretty tense at times with some very good performances. I don't want to give anything away so it's up to you guys to get drawn into it.

Guilt (2019, from BBC Scotland). Reminded me much of A Simple Plan where things just turn to s**t no matter how much thought and conniving goes into the developing plot. I couldn't quite work out where this show was coming from for the first two episodes. Was it comedy? There certainly were some funny moments as the characters were being developed. The last two eps saw the show turn very dark indeed. Again, no spoilers but I wonder what was Max formulating in the last scene. More discussion on this one later, no doubt.

Hook in!

Couple of new ones from me.

The Capture - starts on ABC TV this Friday. A bit futuristic but not beyond the possibility of reality. Pretty tense at times with some very good performances. I don't want to give anything away so it's up to you guys to get drawn into it.

Guilt (2019, from BBC Scotland). Reminded me much of A Simple Plan where things just turn to s**t no matter how much thought and conniving goes into the developing plot. I couldn't quite work out where this show was coming from for the first two episodes. Was it comedy? There certainly were some funny moments as the characters were being developed. The last two eps saw the show turn very dark indeed. Again, no spoilers but I wonder what was Max formulating in the last scene. More discussion on this one later, no doubt.

Hook in!

I'm part way though The Capture and enjoying it. Thanks for the tip.

Edit : the ending was crap.

Last edited:
You guys just talking about Three Girls upthread, just to say, with the knowledge of what really happened here, when the series was shown, I watched the first one, and thought it very well done, but I couldn't bear to watch the rest. But if it was fictional, I might have thought differently.

It's a bit like Scandi noir. The shows are a contrast to the mundane nature of life in those countries.

I don't know so much. They really do have neo-Nazi biker gangs in Scandinavia, you know! Not an excitement we suffer from in the UK.

You guys just talking about Three Girls upthread, just to say, with the knowledge of what really happened here, when the series was shown, I watched the first one, and thought it very well done, but I couldn't bear to watch the rest. But if it was fictional, I might have thought differently.

I downloaded it. I haven't yet been prepared to get into that subject matter knowing it was based on true events.

I'm part way though The Capture and enjoying it. Thanks for the tip.
Edit : the ending was crap.

Watched the 1st ep on ABC and am definitely hooked. This is the great thing with British shows; If they can get the 1st 2-3 eps right, then you're already half-way through for most series. Whereas U.S shows can drag a little to get to 10, 12 or 13 eps (EG: The Outsider).

Anyway, just on that 1st ep, I loved most of the bit-part players (another strong trait for U.K due to their character actors). The woman watching the CCTV at the beginning (& basically replayed later) was fantastic with her face gradually changing. And the way the scene was shot was great.

As for whatever the ending may be, I had already had a read of non-spoiler reviews suggesting it would be polarizing at best.

Abandoned because of the virus, unfortunately, like most filming, I think.
giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back