News Three "hub" isolation zones plan

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Australia has much lower local transmission than WA. The poster I quote was trying to say that Victoria was somehow a safer option because per capita transmissions are similar. The poster omits (possibly on purpose) that WA has been very successful at stopping the spread, to suggest otherwise, as the poster tried to do, is laughable, coming from a Victorian.

Source: https://www.health.gov.au/news/heal...rrent-situation-and-case-numbers#in-australia

1586216519136.png

Western Australia has much lower local transmission than WA. The poster I quote was trying to say that Victoria was somehow a safer option because per capita transmissions are similar. The poster omits (possibly on purpose) that WA has been very successful at stopping the spread, to suggest otherwise, as the poster tried to do, is laughable, coming from a Victorian.

Source: https://www.health.gov.au/news/heal...rrent-situation-and-case-numbers#in-australia

View attachment 853578

Can you please quote where I was trying to imply that??

I was just stating that Victoria & Western Australia had a similar infection rate by capita (on the 5/04 when that website was last updated) and that it doesn't make sense in my opinion to move 10 sporting clubs out of Victoria into other areas that have similar or in the case of SA worse infection rates.

Remembering that the information you provided today wasn't the response you gave last night-- this was the hilarious response you gave us last night.

If you are concerned about catching Coronavirus you would look at the total confirmed cases as that is the amount of people who are potential sources for the virus as opposed to per 100,000.

Approx 400 cases in WA v 1100 cases in Victoria - there are 700 extra cases in Victoria, meaning you are more likely to come in to contact with someone who has Coronavirus in Victoria.

I'm still going to respond that the information you've provided is still incredibly flawed as it doesn't account for percentage of population & only total numbers. Where as the screen shot I've provided below shows that the 'curve' in both Victoria & Western Australia are similar. Once again I'm NOT saying that Victoria is safer than Western Australia--- just that Western Australia also has COVID-19 cases and isn't this 'safe haven' that Eddie McGuire and the West Coast Whingers fans want you to believe.

EDIT: Capriati-- I love how you're 'disliking' my posts like a petulant toddler because I made you look foolish. I'm sorry Bunny, but you shouldn't have said something was so irrational.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 10.18.22 am.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 10.18.22 am.png
    268.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Can you please quote where I was trying to imply that??

I was just stating that Victoria & Western Australia had a similar infection rate by capita (on the 5/04 when that website was last updated) and that it doesn't make sense in my opinion to move 10 sporting clubs out of Victoria into other areas that have similar or in the case of SA worse infection rates.

Remembering that the information you provided today wasn't the response you gave last night-- this was the hilarious response you gave us last night.

I'm still going to respond that the information you've provided is still incredibly flawed as it doesn't account for percentage of population & only total numbers. Where as the screen shot I've provided below shows that the 'curve' in both Victoria & Western Australia are similar. Once again I'm NOT saying that Victoria is safer than Western Australia--- just that Western Australia also has COVID-19 cases and isn't this 'safe haven' that Eddie McGuire and the West Coast Whingers fans want you to believe.

Westralia has been doing community testing of anyone who presents with a fever and a cough for about a week now for nothing.60+ of our positives are uninvited dirty Germans from a dirty German cruise ship with nothing to do us that are safely locked away.
Westralia is a big place and over fifty cases are in regions outside Perth/Peel
All our return travelers that are positive are locked away.You know safety issues are important factors

Westralia has been doing community testing of anyone who presents with a fever and a cough for about a week now.60+ of our positives are uninvited dirty Germans from a dirty German cruise ship with nothing to do us that are safely locked away.
All our return travelers are locked away.You know safety issues are important factors

Thank-you for this information--- it explains the situation really well & isn't really explained in National/East Coast news.

The majority of the information we hear coming out of WA about COVID-19 is that McGowan has created a 'hard border' and that there was plans to send people who need to self-isolate to Rottnest Island.

Thank-you for this information--- it explains the situation really well & isn't really explained in National/East Coast news.

The majority of the information we hear coming out of WA about COVID-19 is that McGowan has created a 'hard border' and that there was plans to send people who need to self-isolate to Rottnest Island.

Well now you know, so you can put your silly little point scoring exercise to bed.

I love how, given a hypothetical scenario that would see unconfirmed groups of teams get based somewhere unconfirmed for weeks at a time, some posters immediately started bitching about some of those unconfirmed teams potentially having shorter flights than others to get to their unconfirmed base.

Well now you know, so you can put your silly little point scoring exercise to bed.

I thanked Asapartyhat for their information.

Would you like me to thank you for your contribution?

Thank-you Capriati for giving me the below post to laugh about as it is definitely the dumbest and strangest thing you've said in months.

If you are concerned about catching Coronavirus you would look at the total confirmed cases as that is the amount of people who are potential sources for the virus as opposed to per 100,000.

Approx 400 cases in WA v 1100 cases in Victoria - there are 700 extra cases in Victoria, meaning you are more likely to come in to contact with someone who has Coronavirus in Victoria.

I thanked Asapartyhat for their information.

Would you like me to thank you for your contribution?

Thank-you Capriati for giving me the below post to laugh about as it is definitely the dumbest and strangest thing you've said in months.

Perhaps the post you quoted wasn't the best constructed post I have done (I still have a job, not sure about you?). Your initial post was simply incorrect and lacked an evidence informed basis.

You were simply wrong, and as per usual, you try to weasel your way around it.

Perhaps the post you quoted wasn't the best constructed post I have done (I still have a job, not sure about you?). Your initial post was simply incorrect and lacked an evidence informed basis.

You were simply wrong, and as per usual, you try to weasel your way around it.

Just so that I can learn-- because clearly you know better than me.

What part of my initial post is 'simply incorrect and lacked an evidence informed basis'??

Source??

It's strange that the AFL would consider to place hubs in South Australia (23.4 confirmed cases per 100,000 people) & Western Australia (17.49 confirmed cases per 100,000 people) when Victoria has less cases than both states (17.47 confirmed cases per 100,000 people) and already is the home for 10 teams and sufficient facilitates to hold all 18 teams.

Source: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03...ls-how-covid-19-spreads-in-australia/12060704 (last updated 10:10am 5th April 2020)

Just so that I can learn-- because clearly you know better than me.

What part of my initial post is 'simply incorrect and lacked an evidence informed basis'??

The data you used (confirmed cases per 100 000) doesn't support the resolution of the question at hand, which is/was "where are the best locations to hold a "hub" which allows football to return as soon as possible".

The data you would use to inform your response to that quesiton would be;

1) Overall number of cases
2) rate of growth
3) % of daily increases which cannot be traced to overseas travel (i.e. community transmission).

I didn't answer your post particularly well, but your original post wasn't a whole lot better.

The data you used (confirmed cases per 100 000) doesn't support the resolution of the question at hand, which is/was "where are the best locations to hold a "hub" which allows football to return as soon as possible".

The data you would use to inform your response to that quesiton would be;

1) Overall number of cases
2) rate of growth
3) % of daily increases which cannot be traced to overseas travel (i.e. community transmission).

Wouldn’t other important data to determine where an appropriate “hub” for football also include things like:
- The availability of suitable accommodation, training location & playing venues that provide minimal interaction with the outside community
-Current state government restrictions on travel & self-isolation periods

I agree that your first post was incredibly poor— but I think it’s an unfair expectation for me to have everything 100% correct in the first response to a thread that is basically just a ‘media fluff piece’ for Eddie McGuire to hype Footy Classifed.

By the way—- you never explained to me where in that Sydney Morning Herald article that Steven Hocking was suggesting Western Australia as a “hub” that you proudly produced to try to ‘prove me wrong’ (which seems to be your key goal at the moment)

all teams should come to the gold coast. plenty of beachside apartments. and thanks to the growth over last 10 years in grassroot footy and juniors plenty of ovals too.
plus games at metricon would feel normal to players as a sea of red seats is what they are used to seeing

Wonderful idea: transport and expose many people from highly affected covid19 zones to areas less affected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love how, given a hypothetical scenario that would see unconfirmed groups of teams get based somewhere unconfirmed for weeks at a time, some posters immediately started bitching about some of those unconfirmed teams potentially having shorter flights than others to get to their unconfirmed base.
West coast supporters will latch onto anything. Even bullshit ideas.

Yeah—- believe it or not; according to the ABC data from yesterday Victoria had less cases per 100,000 than Western Australia.

I know it’s not significantly different between the two states— but definitely doesn’t align with this mentality that ‘Western Australia is safer than the rest of the country’.

IMO it would make more sense to bring everyone to Victoria than to fly teams to WA, have them go through compulsory 14 day self-isolations and still be in a community that isn’t necessarily safer than Victoria.
Im betting we have less asymptomatic cases, nearly all if not all of ours are traceable.

Not sure it makes any sense too play anywhere but it would make more sense to base it where most teams are.

Im betting we have less asymptomatic cases, nearly all if not all of ours are traceable.

As I said above-- from the explanation that Asapartyhat provided that is probably true & I agree that I could be wrong based off the information I had.

I don't like the hub idea, however I'm all for the idea of playing at suburban grounds if the AFL are really pushing to get back underway as early as June, particularly if fans are still locked out at that point.

Also sometime in the next couple of months, the grounds would be advertised with key and major sponsors of the AFL and other clubs, so that their financial needs are met.

Home grounds for each team will be as follows:

Carlton - Ikon Park
Collingwood - Vic Park.
Essendon - Tullamarine
Geelong - GMHBA (same ground)
Hawthorn - Waverly
North - Arden Street
Melbourne - AAMI park.
Richmond - Punt Road
St.Kilda - Moorabin
Western Bulldogs - Whitten Oval

I'm not as familiar with the suburban grounds for the Adelaide and Perth teams, but they can play at grounds where the Marsh games are generally held.

GWS and Sydney could use Blacktown/and or Giants Stadium as the capacity of that ground is not ridiculously big anyway. Same with Brissy/Suns using Metricon, if not maybe a ground in Southport or somewhere in and around that area.

Play at these venues until it is safe for crowds to be permitted back in, then migrate back to the mainstream venues.

I don't think it's the worst idea really.

I don't like the hub idea, however I'm all for the idea of playing at suburban grounds if the AFL are really pushing to get back underway as early as June, particularly if fans are still locked out at that point.

Also sometime in the next couple of months, the grounds would be advertised with key and major sponsors of the AFL and other clubs, so that their financial needs are met.

Home grounds for each team will be as follows:

Carlton - Ikon Park
Collingwood - Vic Park.
Essendon - Tullamarine
Geelong - GMHBA (same ground)
Hawthorn - Waverly
North - Arden Street
Melbourne - AAMI park.
Richmond - Punt Road
St.Kilda - Moorabin
Western Bulldogs - Whitten Oval

I'm not as familiar with the suburban grounds for the Adelaide and Perth teams, but they can play at grounds where the Marsh games are generally held.

GWS and Sydney could use Blacktown/and or Giants Stadium as the capacity of that ground is not ridiculously big anyway. Same with Brissy/Suns using Metricon, if not maybe a ground in Southport or somewhere in and around that area.

Play at these venues until it is safe for crowds to be permitted back in, then migrate back to the mainstream venues.

I don't think it's the worst idea really.

So Melbourne will play AFLX for their home games??

As I said above-- from the explanation that Asapartyhat provided that is probably true & I agree that I could be wrong based off the information I had.
Victoria seems to be doing a good job in keeping coronavirus numbers down mostly I think.Every state and territory is doing alright except for NSW.
Its not inconceivable that, second or third rounds of five or six games or whatever they are planning might be held in Victoria.If you keep up the good work Victoria.

Last edited:
Don't like the idea. If the country has to undergo these "unprecedented" restrictions so should the players. If they get to play and gather in a group of 44 so should the rest of us.

Don't like the idea. If the country has to undergo these "unprecedented" restrictions so should the players. If they get to play and gather in a group of 44 so should the rest of us.

For the players gathering together in a group is part of their job and their livelihoods and the livelihoods of many other people in the AFL industry depend on games being played, it's not the same as random people just gathering together on the beach or going to a music festival.

I'd have no problem if the restrictions were relaxed for AFL teams if it meant we got to watch some footy again, it would provide some much needed entertainment.

For them gathering together in a group is part of their job and their livelihoods and the livelihoods of many other people in the AFL industry depend on games being played, it's not the same as random people just gathering together on the beach or going to a music festival.

I'd have no problems if the restrictions were relaxed for AFL teams if it meant we got to watch some footy again, it would provide some much needed entertainment.

Why isn't it the same? The virus doesn't care if people are gathering for work, an AFL game or a piss up on the beach. It will spread and potentially kill regardless. Or are the restrictions bullshit to begin with and we should be allowed to get on with things?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back