2021 Draft and Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mabior Chol OOC end of this season, do we bring him back home? If it came down to a choice in 2 I'd prefer Chol over Archie.

Mabior Chol OOC end of this season, do we bring him back home? If it came down to a choice in 2 I'd prefer Chol over Archie.
I think if Chol leaves Richmond it would be to a club that more than likely offered him AFL games
Not sure we can do that with our 1 ruck set up in 2021
However we do need another mature ruck to pitch in when needed.
Maybe a few from the other VFL clubs start to stand out as prospects
By the end of the year hopefully Henry Smith shows enough to suggest he can fill a void if needed

The Ed Richards news is interesting. I really liked his debut season, played entirely off hb I think, showed real dash and his defence was good. Last year was moved around from hb, wing, to hf. Half back his best position. If he comes back from his broken leg ok, if his speed and mobility are still good and he finds a bit of form, I reckon having a crack at him is well worth it. We don't know how Answerth will come on, Ah Chee hasn't excelled down back and is much better fwd of the ball, Cockatoo prob better thru midfield and fwd. If Richards comes good after injury he certainly fills a need at what should be a reasonable cost. Not concerned about flight risk, kids mature and life skills improve.

Don't think we need to or can really afford to chase Merritt. Once we get Cockatoo fit and match hardened, he will be the midfield extra we need. Don't forget we will also have Rayner coming back into the fold next year too, and Devrob is showing good signs. Our midfield depth is fine.

If we can get Richards, maybe a mature ruck and a few good draft kids I'd be happy with that.

Those I can see leaving at the end of the year are --
Birchall - retire (although if his good form continues I could see him getting another year)
Ballenden - just hasn't got the mongrel in him
Matho - wish it was different and I love what he brings to the club but like Keays may find better opportunity elsewhere.
Tom Joyce - superfluous to needs.
Archie Smith - if we can get a decent mature back up ruck I think his time is up.
Ely Smith - may want to chase better opportunity as well.

It will be interesting to see if list numbers increase, along with the salary cap next year. Injuries so far this year has caused an over reliance on academy kids to fill the void in the vfl team. I think this needs to be looked at.

Just throwing it out there as a discussion point.

We need another mature ruck and I'm not a fan of Archie's at all, Mabior would be a slight upgrade. Ideally I'd prefer someone who has shown more than Mabior though, will be hard to lure someone like that with the Big O our clear number 1 and with us going away from the previous 2 rucks policy to O + Joe.

Matt Flynn from the Giants? OOC as well.

The Ed Richards news is interesting. I really liked his debut season, played entirely off hb I think, showed real dash and his defence was good. Last year was moved around from hb, wing, to hf. Half back his best position. If he comes back from his broken leg ok, if his speed and mobility are still good and he finds a bit of form, I reckon having a crack at him is well worth it. We don't know how Answerth will come on, Ah Chee hasn't excelled down back and is much better fwd of the ball, Cockatoo prob better thru midfield and fwd. If Richards comes good after injury he certainly fills a need at what should be a reasonable cost. Not concerned about flight risk, kids mature and life skills improve.

Don't think we need to or can really afford to chase Merritt. Once we get Cockatoo fit and match hardened, he will be the midfield extra we need. Don't forget we will also have Rayner coming back into the fold next year too, and Devrob is showing good signs. Our midfield depth is fine.

If we can get Richards, maybe a mature ruck and a few good draft kids I'd be happy with that.

Those I can see leaving at the end of the year are --
Birchall - retire (although if his good form continues I could see him getting another year)
Ballenden - just hasn't got the mongrel in him
Matho - wish it was different and I love what he brings to the club but like Keays may find better opportunity elsewhere.
Tom Joyce - superfluous to needs.
Archie Smith - if we can get a decent mature back up ruck I think his time is up.
Ely Smith - may want to chase better opportunity as well.

It will be interesting to see if list numbers increase, along with the salary cap next year. Injuries so far this year has caused an over reliance on academy kids to fill the void in the vfl team. I think this needs to be looked at.
Agree with most of that, great summation of our position, a fit Rayner and Cockatoo would really top off our midfield with their explosion and x factor, definitely wouldn't say no to Ed Richards for the right $$$ and picks cost.

So are we going to bid up the price that Collingwood will have to pay to keep Elliott or do we get him for nothing and he becomes the next McCarthy?

By the way I feel sorry for the bloke. That many injuries.
We already did it in 2019, after Elliot’s agent fed the media photos of Elliot entering the Gabba to meet with the Lions hierarchy during the trade period.

If Daniher and McInerny stay fit hard to see anyone else getting a look in ruckwise . Depends what they think of Henry as to whether he might be up to something in a couple of years. Archie comes in if McInerny goes down this year.

If Daniher and McInerny stay fit hard to see anyone else getting a look in ruckwise . Depends what they think of Henry as to whether he might be up to something in a couple of years. Archie comes in if McInerny goes down this year.
Always good to have a young fella nuturing in the wings...a decent size and ability.

Geelong has dropped Clarke again. Of course the assumption would be the WA teams would tempted him home but I hope we ask the question. Good speed and running abilty
I’m not sure either WA team would want him.

Fremantle have quite a few young half back flankers, and WC need young mids, and I’m not sure they’d trade out their first round pick when there’s going to be two or three young WA mids right about the range of their first pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With state league rucks, the usual suspects leading the way again. Gault, Strnadica and Knoll all terrific. Fraser Thurlow kicked four goals along with his usual ruck dominance. Any of those four would be fine selections for a flag push.

What would Payne be worth in a trade? No secret that Lions have serious KPD depth, while Dogs hardly have more than one AFL standard KPD, and we chased him last year

Just throwing it out there as a discussion point.

We need another mature ruck and I'm not a fan of Archie's at all, Mabior would be a slight upgrade. Ideally I'd prefer someone who has shown more than Mabior though, will be hard to lure someone like that with the Big O our clear number 1 and with us going away from the previous 2 rucks policy to O + Joe.

Matt Flynn from the Giants? OOC as well.

Flynn has been pretty impressive. Good leap, good spread, decent player. With Preuss not getting on the park this year, GWS will be hanging on to Flynn real tight.

Last edited:
What would Payne be worth in a trade? No secret that Lions have serious KPD depth, while Dogs hardly have more than one AFL standard KPD, and we chased him last year

It's Dunkley trade scenario actually. He's contracted, we don't have to let him go unless you're willing to pay over n above.

Unlikely that we would trade him unless it was overs. 1 because he is contracted, 2 he is rated highly internally imo, and 3 because he has serious qualities and could be our next Key Defender for the next decade.

Unlikely that we would trade him unless it was overs. 1 because he is contracted, 2 he is rated highly internally imo, and 3 because he has serious qualities and could be our next Key Defender for the next decade.
Given the state of our KPD stocks, I'd be happy with paying overs. I rate Payne, and I don't want us playing Cordy/Young next year to be perfectly honest. Not the type of overs we asked for Dunkley (was a pisstake so we could retain him) but definitely substantially more than an 8-gamer 3rd round pick would normally require

Given the state of our KPD stocks, I'd be happy with paying overs. I rate Payne, and I don't want us playing Cordy/Young next year to be perfectly honest. Not the type of overs we asked for Dunkley (was a pisstake so we could retain him) but definitely substantially more than an 8-gamer 3rd round pick would normally require
Before you ask, Nah we don't want Josh Schache back. ;)

It would have to be way overs for the Lions to even consider moving Jack on, a long way to go but IMO he is an elite KPD in the making, he's only 21 years of age, 197cm tall, 101kg, has tremendous pace for a man his size and is as strong as an ox. His kicking can let him down at times but has shown enough for me to think with becoming more comfortable at the level will be quite a good kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back